Wedding Party

Children only Wedding Party?

My fiancé has had quite a bit of turmoil in the last 5+ years with some of his friends. His friends are like mine, there's just a handful and all close, tight knit for many many years.  However this turmoil has gotten worse the last few years and 1: he feels obligated to chose them, 2: not sure on a BM, since one has been his BM in first marriage, 3: this is stressing him out immensely. These friends are invited to the wedding, but we know with recent actions they aren't exactly dependable or may have hurt feelings if another friend is picked over them for "best man".

Has anyone been to a wedding or seen a wedding that has a wedding party made up of only children? 
I mentioned to him the other night we could do anything we wanted it is our wedding... we could have his daughter (17yr old), his nieces (10 and 7yr old), and his nephew (6yr old) be our wedding party if we wanted. (this idea made the stress and worry sort of lift right off of him) Any thoughts on this? Or having his sister and my sister be added to this? Is there a title for a female best man? Is this something that could work? Or am I just crazy? Any thoughts on sides for them to stand on? Or don't try to have them stand, just sit in the front pew and leave the standing to the bride, groom and officiant?

Figured with the kids we would have a ring bearer, a flower girl, a jr bridesmaid, and ____ of Honor. (something of honor? I mean she IS his daughter, and will be my Step daughter so she already has that title anyways...whatever the title will be) 

Re: Children only Wedding Party?

• lilaries said:
    My fiancé has had quite a bit of turmoil in the last 5+ years with some of his friends. His friends are like mine, there's just a handful and all close, tight knit for many many years.  However this turmoil has gotten worse the last few years and 1: he feels obligated to chose them, 2: not sure on a BM, since one has been his BM in first marriage, 3: this is stressing him out immensely. These friends are invited to the wedding, but we know with recent actions they aren't exactly dependable or may have hurt feelings if another friend is picked over them for "best man". He can ask whoever he wants to stand on his side, whether that be as a groomsman, groomslady/groomswoman, best man, or best woman/lady.  He should not be worrying about hurting his friends' feelings if one is chosen to be best man out of the rest.  He could, however, choose to not have a best man at all, but still have groomsmen.  They do not need to be "dependable", all they have to do is show up to the wedding in the agreed upon attire (which should have been chosen within their budget).  It also does not matter who he had as a best man in a wedding he had before.

Has anyone been to a wedding or seen a wedding that has a wedding party made up of only children? 
    I mentioned to him the other night we could do anything we wanted it is our wedding... we could have his daughter (17yr old), his nieces (10 and 7yr old), and his nephew (6yr old) be our wedding party if we wanted. (this idea made the stress and worry sort of lift right off of him) Any thoughts on this?  Are those children your nearest and dearest?  The ones you or your FI would call if you had to hide a body at 3 a.m.? Or having his sister and my sister be added to this? Is there a title for a female best man?  Best lady or best woman. Is this something that could work? Or am I just crazy? Any thoughts on sides for them to stand on? If the individual is closer to the bride it makes sense for them to be on the bride's side and vice versa. Or don't try to have them stand, just sit in the front pew and leave the standing to the bride, groom and officiant?  Sure.

Figured with the kids we would have a ring bearer, a flower girl, a jr bridesmaid, and ____ of Honor. (something of honor? I mean she IS his daughter, and will be my Step daughter so she already has that title anyways...whatever the title will be)  Groomslady or groomswoman.  Or, best lady/best woman.
  • Didn't the royal family just recently have mostly kids in their wedding party?
    You two should just pick the people (kids or adults) who mean the most to you.
    The daughter(s)can be a Groomswoman or Best Woman. Or a Maid of Honor or Bridesmaid.
    Don't overthink it.
  • Didn't the royal family just recently have mostly kids in their wedding party? You two should just pick the people (kids or adults) who mean the most to you. The daughter(s)can be a Groomswoman or Best Woman. Or a Maid of Honor or Bridesmaid. Don't overthink it.
    Yes, the only adults in William and Kate's wedding party were Harry and Pippa.  The only adult in Charles and Diana's wedding party was Andrew.  Diana's oldest attendant was a teenager.  

You don't need to even give them tittles.  Don't bother with programs and just have them stand up there with you.  You could have your sisters join them.  Or don't have a wedding party at all.  Or just your sisters. I don't know where you live but your state may not require witnesses for the marriage license.  If it does you could still have your sisters sign it even if they don't stand up there with you.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticl said:
    Didn't the royal family just recently have mostly kids in their wedding party? You two should just pick the people (kids or adults) who mean the most to you. The daughter(s)can be a Groomswoman or Best Woman. Or a Maid of Honor or Bridesmaid. Don't overthink it.
    Yes, the only adults in William and Kate's wedding party were Harry and Pippa.  The only adult in Charles and Diana's wedding party was Andrew.  Diana's oldest attendant was a teenager.  

You don't need to even give them tittles.  Don't bother with programs and just have them stand up there with you.  You could have your sisters join them.  Or don't have a wedding party at all.  Or just your sisters. I don't know where you live but your state may not require witnesses for the marriage license.  If it does you could still have your sisters sign it even if they don't stand up there with you.  
    I didn't know that, or I guess never thought about that. That is good to know (incase of snarky comments we can just throw that back, "hey it's good enough for the royal family") 

And I don't even think we have thought as far as who our witnesses would be.... still trying to get bigger details squared away.
    doeydo said:
    lilaries said:
    I mentioned to him the other night we could do anything we wanted it is our wedding... we could have his daughter (17yr old), his nieces (10 and 7yr old), and his nephew (6yr old) be our wedding party if we wanted. (this idea made the stress and worry sort of lift right off of him) Any thoughts on this?  Are those children your nearest and dearest?  The ones you or your FI would call if you had to hide a body at 3 a.m.?
    Daughter, nieces and nephew.... yeah they're pretty darn near and dear to our hearts. As for depending on them to help burry a dead body... I don't think we would put that on them... being children and all.

Thanks ladies!
  • As long as you have adult witnesses to sign your marriage certificate, you can have all children in your wedding party.

But, it does mean that certain things have to be taken into account:
    1) The children should be able to get themselves up and down the aisle without help from adults and without being pulled in wagons, carriages, carts, or strollers.  If they can't do that, they're too small and should just be held and appear in photos without going up and down the aisle.
    2) They should have some understanding of what they're being asked to do and to be able to remember it later.
    3) They may engage in undesirable behavior, like meltdowns and putting things in their mouths that don't belong there.  An adult will have to step in and put a stop to it.
    4) They will have to be supervised by adults throughout.  Their parents can't ignore them while eating, drinking, dancing, and mingling.
  • Nothing wrong with just having the kids or siblings and kids. You don't have to single out two for MOH and Best Woman, unless you want to do that. Have your family members stand at your side and his family at his side, without regard to gender. You may have the wedding party sit in the front row, if you wish. Do whatever makes the most sense to you. 

If you need adults to sign your marriage certificate, any of your guests may do it. The siblings seem to be the logical choice. 

• Jen4948 said:
    As long as you have adult witnesses to sign your marriage certificate, you can have all children in your wedding party.

1) The children should be able to get themselves up and down the aisle without help from adults and without being pulled in wagons, carriages, carts, or strollers.  If they can't do that, they're too small and should just be held and appear in photos without going up and down the aisle.
    2) They should have some understanding of what they're being asked to do and to be able to remember it later.
    3) They may engage in undesirable behavior, like meltdowns and putting things in their mouths that don't belong there.  An adult will have to step in and put a stop to it.
    4) They will have to be supervised by adults throughout.  Their parents can't ignore them while eating, drinking, dancing, and mingling.
    Not all states require this.  The only person who had to sign ours was the officiant.  We didn't even sign our marriage license.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:
    As long as you have adult witnesses to sign your marriage certificate, you can have all children in your wedding party.

Not all states require this.  The only person who had to sign ours was the officiant.  We didn't even sign our marriage license.  
    'k, thanks.  But if the OP is marrying somewhere where this is required, adults will have to be present who can sign the license.  Kid attendants can't do that.
  • Jen4948 said:

mysticl said:

Jen4948 said:

'k, thanks.  But if the OP is marrying somewhere where this is required, adults will have to be present who can sign the license.  Kid attendants can't do that.

But anyone can do this; they don't have to be in the WP. There will obviously be adult guests at the wedding. It could be parents, siblings, whomever.

• mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:

But anyone can do this; they don't have to be in the WP. There will obviously be adult guests at the wedding. It could be parents, siblings, whomever.
    Which is fine.  The point is that whoever does that will have to be an adult.  It doesn't mean that there can't be kid attendants; just that this is something adults will have to do.
  • Jen4948 said:
    mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:

I'm fully aware of that and I'm pretty sure everyone on here can figure out that a child cannot witness a legal document.  However, the statement was they have to have an adult witness the license and I was pointing out they may not need a witness at all.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:
    mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:

I'm fully aware of that and I'm pretty sure everyone on here can figure out that a child cannot witness a legal document.  However, the statement was they have to have an adult witness the license and I was pointing out they may not need a witness at all.  
    Unless they are marrying some place where they do.  I'm sure you've also figured out that not every place doesn't require a witness.
  • I have attended a wedding where the entire bridal party was all children. It was adorable, and showed the couple really cared about their family. 

If you have to have adult witnesses, you could ask a family member from each side to be your witnesses, and still just have the kids be in the bridal party.
  • Just an added thought...you dont have to have a wedding party at all. That would cut out all the drama.
  • mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:
    mysticl said:
    Jen4948 said:

In Alaska, they can, apparently. My 16 year old sister signed my other sister's license. I side-eyed it and asked them if they were sure that was allowed, and they said they called the office and asked, and it was ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards