Chit Chat

Social media during the honeymoon?

JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited May 2014 in Chit Chat
Some college friends just got married and have posted several honeymoon pics on Facebook with updates about what they are doing each day. It's not constant, but I'd say they have shown up in my news feed about once per day while they've been gone. Another pair of friends did the same thing a couple of years ago on their honeymoon. 

Do you plan to (or did you) post to social media during your honeymoon? 

Usually when I go out and do fun stuff I post to Facebook, but personally I think the honeymoon will be a social media blackout for us. That's your private time as a couple and I feel like posting your pics makes it less romantic. I would probably wait until we get home and go through the pictures, then post just a few good ones after the fact. Thoughts? Am I just way too old-school about this?

Edited for paragraphs WHY KNOT WHY
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: Social media during the honeymoon?

• H and I checked and also posted things to FB while on our HM.  I mean to us it was just another vacation to get away and have some fun as a couple so we treated it as we would any other vacation we had been on.  And we also loved seeing all of the wedding pictures people posted.  I even called my Mom every other day just to check in like I normally do.  We still had a great time and had romantic moments.   But we certainly didn't gaze into each others eyes the whole time. That just isn't us.

I think people make the HM into his huge thing that has to be this huge romantic getaway and over the top trip.  Why?  It isn't like the HM is the only time you and your SO will ever go on a vacation together.  But then again people also blow up the whole wedding thing as well (it must be a huge affair that meets this "vision" they have been creating since they were 5).

• phiraphira member
    Honestly, probably. We're going to Chicago in the winter, so it's not like we're going to be relaxing on a beach. We'll be doing a lot of museums and sight-seeing, and it's easy to just post stuff right after taking photos. The only reason I didn't do it last time I went on vacation was that we were in Canada and I didn't have service.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • smalfrie19smalfrie19 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    MagicInk said:
    Only if we leave the hotel room.

that love it was from me.

And we probably will, I mean its Vegas, but we may turn of FB and post pictures when we are back..who knows.. I will ask FI tonight.

Anniversary
  • H and I checked and also posted things to FB while on our HM.  I mean to us it was just another vacation to get away and have some fun as a couple so we treated it as we would any other vacation we had been on.  And we also loved seeing all of the wedding pictures people posted.  I even called my Mom every other day just to check in like I normally do.  We still had a great time and had romantic moments.   But we certainly didn't gaze into each others eyes the whole time. That just isn't us.

SITFB....We get married this Saturday and we leave Monday morning for Aruba. I'd like to see the pics that people have posted.  Even our photographer will put some pics on FB and I'll be dying to see them.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited May 2014
    GRRRR----seriously knot get your shit together...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited May 2014
    Stupid knot glitches...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mmm, I mean our honeymoon is kind of just a cool vacation to us (first one we will actually take together). A cool one I'm sure we will remember, but for us, there isn't this whole OH MY GOSH MOST ROMANTIC THING EVER idea with it. 

So I'm sure we wont be glued to our phones, but I'm also sure we will use them. 
  • I think it depends.  Part of our HM will be a roadtrip from Illinois to Florida, with stops along the way, followed by some time at Universal Studios or something in Orlando.  Then we are doing a 5 day cruise.  We might post some things to FB during the roadtrip portion simply because there will be downtime while driving and sitting in traffic.  
  • pinkcow13pinkcow13 member
    edited May 2014
    One of my friends went to Italy and she posted no less than 5 times a day. She mostly posted about their meals. They ate a lot on that trip lol. She tends to overshare, but I actually loved her HM pics. They made me hungry. FI isn't big on social media at all (he lurks no FB once in a while, and might comment here or there. The last update he posted was our tree, and that was surprising.) I think I probably will. I prefer to be unplugged when we go away, because, vacation. If he is in the bathroom, or showering though, I do go on social media, and I like to read the news. Especially now that I have an iphone, ipad, etc. So, I don't think I will post every second of our HM, I do think I will post a few things here or there.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• WTF paragraphs?! And I'm on my computer at work!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    I have thought about this and gone back & forth about it.. We use our phones for the cameras so I know we will have them on us, which will make it more likely we want to check out social media apps. Though my FI is admittedly nervous about us leaving technology unattended on beach chairs, but I want to be able to take pictures... and I've heard of people having things stolen from room safes before. So not sure if it's better to just keep them on us and drift towards facebook, or leave it hidden in the room. Hmm..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Probably. And (then)H will likely be annoyed by it, so I'll have to keep it on the DL. :) I normally post updates from vacations and my family generally likes to see them, so I don't mind obliging. 

• I'm sure we will - we live together now (finally!) alone for the next month before his kids move back, so this is our romantic, all-about-each-other time. Next year it'll be all about posting the fantastic time we're having in Hawaii. There'll be plenty of time for sex as well, but there is now too. LOL

• We did post on social media sporatically during our honeymoon. We were in London, so we had amazing photos to post of all the things we were seeing. We also really enjoyed looking at all the photos of the wedding other people were tagging us in. This didn't take away from the romance, and didn't dominate the experience (we did this during downtime in lines, etc.), but is part of what we normally do on vacation anyway. We basically treated the HM like any other *amazing* trip we had been on together before.

I do think the HM gets too much hype. Not that it isn't fun. I mean, yes, we did make use of the do not disturb sign and I loved that, but I think some of my favorite memories from that trip were all the romatic conversations we had just about the future, and what we hoped for our marriage, etc. and of course being able to experience Europe for the first time with the person I love.

• We updated from our honeymoon. It was a vacation for us. And yeah, we were married, but it was just an awesome vacation. DH did more than I did.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • FI takes ages in the shower so I can imagine killing some time on fb. Probably no photos until we're home though
  • KPBM89KPBM89 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    We generally don't post a lot on social media as it is.  I'm sure we will check the sites to look for photos, but most likely the only posts from me might be a few pics on IG.

I do, however, know someone that posted dozens of photos online from her honeymoon.  And not just pictures of the beach...there were at least two photos of them in bed (you know where they're wearing just sheets), post coitus.

• I'm not sure our phones will even work where we're going. Lol. We're not big on social media anyway, so I doubt we would be posting anything.
  • We did not post on Facebook, etc, while on our HM. I'm pretty sure it's the only time we've totally stayed away from social media stuff! Lol. It was nice though. For once, there was no distractions, & the HM was just about us. The only thing we did do though, was change our relationship status on our Facebooks the morning after the wedding. Once on our HM, we didn't post anything until we were back in town. *J
  • We usually post during vacations/trips, etc but I'd like the honeymoon to be a technology blackout for us. Not just from social media, but I like the idea of having a dedicated time to ourselves to get away from the world and recover from all the wedding stress. I'll certainly post pics when we're back, but I love the idea of unplugging while away. PLUS, i'm on-call for my job the day after we get back from the HM, so I'll be *too* connected to the world when we get back.
    imageimage">
  • rajahmdrajahmd member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    We did but usually only when we were at the hotel room just chilling. Otherwise our phones didn't go with us to the amusement parks. Gotta say, a highlight of the trip was posting a photo of the glorious view from our patio at our hotel in Florida while everyone back home was getting the last snow of the year (this was back in late March). That was so much fun.
    Anniversary
  • I say do whatever you want.   I happen to sign up for FB on my honeymoon.   Granted FB was really new, I didn't have a FB app, nor did my phone even work over there, so I didn't post.  I had some down time and hoped on the computer DH was already on and I signed up.   If were to go now I'm sure we would have posted something.  DH definitely would have posted pictures of food.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Generally I agree with OP.

We do travel a lot, but I always post tons of pictures once we get home.  FI seems weirded out about photos for this because it's "not just another vacation, it's a HONEYMOON- that means sex" but I disagree, lol. We have sex on every other vacation- it's not exactly a mystery to people!

I do want to relish being newlyweds though, and that'll include a social media blackout.

We're leaving about 5 days after the wedding so I'll have that time to see any wedding photos.

• We didn't, because our cruise took us out of coverage area. I would have liked to have had internet to while away my almost sexless honeymoon. But then H would have had it too, meaning probably even less sexy time. Low testosterone can kiss my ass.
  • Well, I did decide that I want to do a "The first 365" album, and post a picture every day of our first year of marriage. So I would like to upload at least one picture every day. We'll see though. I am kind of a Facebook addict, and I LOVE checking in on Foursquare, so I will probably definitely be connected during our Hmoon.
  • Yeah, I'm not sure we would do a total blackout.  A couple updates seems okay.  I just think the daily/ multiple times daily photos are a bit much.  I feel like your HM is for you two to be together, not give a blow-by-blow to everyone you know.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Rebl90Rebl90 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I think we"ll aim for a blackout, but our HM will be our first private vacation together and we've um *ahem* waited, a long time for it. But, I'm not going to judge anyone who posts photos/etc, everyone is different!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think we'll do a whole social media blackout. We'll probably "check in" when we get to JFK and when we get to Jamaica. Other than that, we'll share a few pics from the trip but not everything.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • ab6704aab6704a member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    I hesitate to post  vacation pictures (or much of anything) while I'm actually on vacation because I don't like to broadcast that we're away from home and the house is empty.  In theory my facebook privacy settings should limit my posts to friends only, but I'd rather not take the chance. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards