Catholic Weddings

Vows?

My FI and I are completely committed to getting married in the church and I really want us to write our own vows.  We haven't been to Pre-Cana yet and what I gather from my research online and on this board is that you are not allowed to do it.  Just wondering, if we still said the vows set out by the church would we be able to include a brief personal statement if it was approved by the priest? If not does anyone have any suggestions about how we can include it in the reception?  Thanks in advance!

Re: Vows?

• the vows are standard as it needs to state completely the intentions and promises. It's part of having proper form.

I would suggest doing it at the reception. Perhaps with the toasts. 
  • I would also suggest including these personal statements with the toasts at the reception. Other options may be to have them printed in programs or write personal letters to each other to read before the ceremony.

At DH's cousin's wedding during the homily the priest read some excerpts from letters he had the couple write about each other, so you may be able to talk to your priest about something like this, although they were not vows. Our priest asked us for suggestions of what we wished him to discuss during the homily, but I'm not sure if this is a common thing or not, so I would be careful that it doesn't come across as telling him what to say if you do ask about including something in the homily.
  • I love the idea of the priest reading them in the homily -- maybe you could ask your priest about that!  I also wrote my husband a letter the morning of our wedding with my personal feelings.

Also,
    1) I *think* there are a couple variations on the vows you say (you can either repeat after the priest or just say, "I will/I do"), so there is at least that element of personalization.
    2) I barely choked my way through the required vows, so I know I wouldn't have made it through ones I'd written.
    3) It's really nice to consider that the vows you are taking are the same ones that all Catholics take when they marry.
    4) For me, the pre-written vows pretty much covered it.  I'm not saying you'll do this, but I always find vows that "promise to always put the seat down" really cheesy and sort of inappropriate.

Congratulations and good luck planning!
    Anniversary

• This was one thing H and I wanted to do as well.  We chose the vows of the Church that closest aligned with what we wanted to say. 

But..for the stuff that would have remained unsaid, we both wrote each other a letter.  Each letter was very "vow-ish" about what we promised one another and other private things.  We gave each other the letters after the rehearsal and read them when we woke up on our wedding morning.  It was a great way to go for us.

Just another idea :)
  • My fiance is Lutheran and he was quite disappointed that we couldn't write his own vows. Our priest has given us some leeway to write our own vows provided that they say the required intentions and promises. In other words, we can expound just a little bit. The priest, of course, has veto power.

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." -Robert Fulghum<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• Once you start Pre-Cana and wedding prep with your priest, he'll walk you through all of that.  The book Together for Life makes planning the liturgy very simple. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards