May 2014 Weddings
Options

DJ Worries

So our wedding is 2 weeks from today. Our DJ has basically not contacted us at all since I called and booked him. Now, I should clarify he is our friend. He was a co-worker/supervisor of mine for 4.5 years while I was in college. We were super close then, but since I graduated and got a new job... it's rare we talk. But when we do it's like no time has passed. I mean he does have a respectable and lucrative business. Runs it very well. And I don't know... is he maybe just being more chillax about it since we know him? It's been like pulling teeth to contact him. I've done facebook messages, text messages, and emailing him (yes, calling is next... he just always says emails and texts are easier to get a hold of him. HA). Hes gotten back to me ONCE with the sheet to fill out specific songs. I don't want to start being bitchy about things... but he's gotta understand we are planning a wedding, and need to make sure things are set, friends or not. He does weddings all the time! He seriously books up a year in advance. Which means he's gotta be good at this stuff! 

Did I just make a big mistake booking a friend to DJ our wedding? Do I need to be looking into a backup (somehow)? Or am I just overreacting? How often have you had contact with your DJ's?
We've paid a deposit. Signed a contract. But I am FREAKING OUT!

Re: DJ Worries

• Options
    That is the main reason they reccomend you really hire someone, not a friend. Hopefully hes just being a little more casual because you are firiends, but will still pull through for you. If you have a contract and all, im sure he will. Really i talked to ours when we hired him and he gave me the sheet to fill out, and i just heard from him asking me to send it in asap, and then he said he will call to do a fianl review.
  • Options
    We have had the same experience with every other DJ we tried to contact.  I actually told a guy that if he was available for our wedding day (which he had to check) we would book him.  Not maybe, but would.  I have NEVER heard a response since.  Now this guy I can't even recommend because of his lack of communication.  I don't give a damn if you can't do it, just tell me you can't.  Not responding is worse than responding with a no.  We ended up going through a service, and our DJ took a while to get back to us (I did have to call and email) but we were able to sit down and meet with him, which we did on Thursday.  So we only really met just over a week before the wedding.  But I would be making your phone calls to him.  Thankfully you signed a contract (friend or no, that is just good business sense) so that is positive.  Also, another thing in his favor, is that he does do these all the time.  But it is time to start calling him.  You might have to get a little mean and if he doesn't pick up, I would tell him he needs to contact you in 24 hours or you will have to find someone else.  If he has done these before, he should know better.  But I do think its a DJ thing.  I don't know what it is about them...
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards