South Asian Weddings
Options

Seven steps in English?

Hi everyone! Though neither one of us practices any religion, my fiance's background is Sikh and Hindu, and mine is Christian (of various types) with some Jewish thrown in by my stepdad's family.

We're creating our own ceremony with an interfaith minister, and including a few meaningful rituals from each of our backgrounds. Unfortunately she's not very familiar with Hindu rituals, but she's willing to include anything we suggest. Figuring out how to do the unity candles was easy, because that's something I'm familiar with. My fiance and I are having a more difficult time with the seven steps/saptapadi.

We'd like to an an adapted version, in English, so everyone attending can understand. My fiance will be dressed in an Indian sherwani, and I'm wearing a western-style dress and veil. The problem is, I've only been to one Indian wedding, and it certainly wasn't in English. My fiance and his parents have only been to a few. He grew up in Maryland, no India, and his parents have been living in Maryland for 40 years now. Even though including this ceremony is important to my fiance, it's not exactly familiar.

Have any of you done this? Can you recommend any great books or websites, for wording or examples, or maybe a video? My fi mentioned seeing a version of this where instead of the bride following the groom around the fire in one slow rotation, they follow each other sort of back and forth with each of the steps. Anyone familiar with this?

I have lots of other questions as well... Should I tie my veil to his dupati (do you even call it that when it's a man's wedding scarf, that goes around the neck? or is that just for a woman?) Should we try to find a ghee lamp with a wick, or just use an alcohol burner? should we do all of this on a metal tray, for safety? are we supposed to throw puffed rice into the fire, or are we going to burn the place down/set my dress on fire?

Re: Seven steps in English?

• Options
    Allison, check out this websites. http://www.weddingdetails.com/lore-tradition/hindu/

If you youtube Hindu wedding ceremonies, you should be able to find some videos of that tradition.

Is there a Hindu temple/ Association nearby that you can ask questions of?
  • Options
    Thanks, Simply! I can't wait to check out all of these sites. Youtube is a great suggestion as well.

I haven't actually looked into any local temples or associations since my fiance's family isn't associated with any of them, but I guess that shouldn't be a reason to stop us. It's tough to be torn between not wanting to insult anyone by performing any of the rituals "wrong," but also to fulfill the desire to do our own thing and adapt traditions and rituals in a way that guests can easily understand. I think it might be tough for the more religious members of both of our families to get their heads around certain rituals being included as a nod to culture and tradition rather than full-fledged religious ceremonies.
  • Options
    I've seen some Seven Steps translations that completely freaked me out- about following your husband and him being the master and such- at least that was my SIL's translation about the ritual's meaning. 

We had a pretty liberal translation that I really loved.  Overall, it ended up being my favorite part of the ceremony.  It was very beautiful to take a step for each "blessing".

May I recommend using a celebrant instead of an interfaith minister?  Celebrants are familiar with all religious backgrounds you have between the two of you, which are also our religious backgrounds.

Here's what I pasted from our ceremony script: 

Celebrant to couple: Melissa and Dayal, please step over to the candle, and link your little fingers.

Melissa and Dayal link pinkies and prepare to walk around the candle.

Celebrant: Dayal and Melissa, may you always enjoy health and vitality, and may you live long and comfortable lives.

Melissa & Dayal take one step.

Celebrant: May you be resilient and strong -- in body, mind and spirit.

Melissa & Dayal take their next step.

Celebrant: May you enjoy prosperity and abundance on all levels.

Celebrant: May you live in perfect harmony, offering constant love and support to each other.

Celebrant: May you have a joyful family life, raising children who are thoughtful and healthy.

Celebrant: May you remain true to your personal values and your joint promises.

Celebrant: May you always be the best of friends, and the best companions to one another.

Melissa & Dayal take their final step. They stand together in at center (perhaps holding hands) for the remainder of the ceremony.

• Options
    Good luck to you! We recited the Seven Steps in Sanskrit (repeating after our Hindu priest) but we included this English translation in the program so the guests could understand. Hope this helps!

1.   We will provide for and support each other.

2.   We will foster courage and strength.

3.   We will increase our prosperity through righteous means.

4.   We will acquire knowledge, happiness, and harmony by mutual love and trust.

5.   We will embrace each other’s families as well as our own, yet to come.

6.   We will strive to further the prosperity of the community.

7.   We will be true companions and lifelong partners.

• Options
    Thanks so much for all of your great suggestions!
  • Options
    Hello,

i'm not familiar with the particulars, but once you figure out your translation, i highly recommend you create a program so guests can follow along. That's what we did at my Sikh ceremony and a lot of people told us how much they loved the program and knowing what was going on in the wedding.

These are the ones we used and people just raved about them! Custom ones just like this can be created with your wedding info!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/161789123/handmade-indian-inspired-wedding-program?ref=shop_home_active_1

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards