Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

How much should bridemaids blow outs cost?

I have a friend of a friend attending my wedding and doing my hair "as a gift." He is doing everyone else's hair too - it's a beach wedding so simple blow-outs or beachy waves.  I feel like he is charging them too much and am not sure how to approach this, especially since my wedding is Sunday. 6 months ago, he gave me a range $50-$100 depending on the length of the hair, and is now asking for the high end of that for each, regardless of their length.  Now I have some bms who think they want to opt out of hair (and I don't blame them). Is 75/100 pp too much or the regular price for a simple wedding blowout?

Re: How much should bridemaids blow outs cost?

• Um, yeah, I wouldn't pay that for a blowout.  Why can't they do their own hair if it isn't a complicated updo?
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Definitely too much money! My BMS are paying $120 for both hair and makeup... and that's an updo or whatever style I choose.
  • They can! I'm not requiring them to get their hair done, but originally they all wanted to.  Now they're not because it's too pricy and I don't know how to tell the hairdresser that because he's charging too much, he's doing 4 people's hair instead of 6. I don't want to haggle with him, but I think because he is all of a sudden charging $25 more a person, he will lose $150
  • I would just tell him, well, I think that may be more money than my girls are wanting to spend, so we are just going to opt out of your services, but thanks anyway.
  • katieg520 said:
    Definitely too much money! My BMS are paying $120 for both hair and makeup... and that's an updo or whatever style I choose.
    Please tell me two things.  Tell me that you are NOT dictating the style of hair your BM have on your wedding day.  Tell me that if you are so insulting and micromanaging to actually TELL your BM how their hair will look, that YOU are actually paying the cost of that hair do.  If not, well.....I have something to tell you.........
  • Oh tell me, lmao.

I am not dictating... we are all discussing what we think would look best. But my hairstylist has in her contract that she only takes direction from the bride, not the bridal party to avoid confusion on the day of. We have been swapping pictures back and forth of what we like and don't like. Generally, I just want them to look "put together" if that makes sense.
  • Oh, and I meant that above post for @mobkaz
  • katieg520 said:
    Oh tell me, lmao.

I am not dictating... we are all discussing what we think would look best. But my hairstylist has in her contract that she only takes direction from the bride, not the bridal party to avoid confusion on the day of. We have been swapping pictures back and forth of what we like and don't like. Generally, I just want them to look "put together" if that makes sense.
    Is there a reason your BM's aren't capable of knowing what looks best for themselves?
  • No. But I do want everyone with a uniform hairstyle, so everyone kinda has to agree, or at least like what style they're going to have.

For your wedding, you can do whatever you want. For mine, my BP will have all the same hairstyle.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    katieg520 said:
    No. But I do want everyone with a uniform hairstyle, so everyone kinda has to agree, or at least like what style they're going to have.

For your wedding, you can do whatever you want. For mine, my BP will have all the same hairstyle.
    So you are more worried about how your friends look as props?  Then you should pay for that.  And...PS......that is absolutely dictating, contrary to what you said in your prior post.
  • @mobkaz I don't really care what you think in concern to that. My original post was an answer to someone else's question. I don't recall asking for input on how MY wedding is going. If you want all your BMs to look different, then that's your choice. Good for you. Bride of the year, you are. I couldn't care less if people on this board approve of the way I do things for MY wedding. If I wanted or cared for input I would've asked. Thanks. Have a lovely day.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    edited October 2013
    katieg520 said: @mobkaz I don't really care what you think in concern to that. My original post was an answer to someone else's question. I don't recall asking for input on how MY wedding is going. If you want all your BMs to look different, then that's your choice. Good for you. Bride of the year, you are. I couldn't care less if people on this board approve of the way I do things for MY wedding. If I wanted or cared for input I would've asked. Thanks. Have a lovely day.

That's the beauty of the internet, katieg.  You do not have to ask, nor do I need your permission.  However, the purpose of these wedding boards is to remind brides how to be a friend first, rather than a micromanaging prop maker.  And, bridesmaids
    should look different,  by being allowed to look like themselves, and be treated as friends rather than props for pretty pictures.

And, YOU are the one that said you were not dictating how your BM's would look, but clearly you are doing that, and then some, no doubt. 
  • I have a friend of a friend attending my wedding and doing my hair "as a gift." He is doing everyone else's hair too - it's a beach wedding so simple blow-outs or beachy waves.  I feel like he is charging them too much and am not sure how to approach this, especially since my wedding is Sunday. 6 months ago, he gave me a range $50-$100 depending on the length of the hair, and is now asking for the high end of that for each, regardless of their length.  Now I have some bms who think they want to opt out of hair (and I don't blame them). Is 75/100 pp too much or the regular price for a simple wedding blowout?
    IMHO, you aren't being fair to him. He told you it would be $50-$100. Even if he charges everyone $100 then it's still within the price range that he quoted you. If all of a sudden he said everyone's hair would be $200 then that would be different, but he's still within the price range that he originally quoted you. If you thought it was too high then you should have said something 6 months ago and not 2 days before your wedding.
  • If he's really just blowdrying their hair, then that does seem like a lot. For the time it takes to do beachy waves, it sounds a little more reasonable, but still kind of high. I don't know your area either. But what are you going to do at this point? It is in the range he quoted you. 
    Anniversary
  • AprilH81 said:

Um, yeah, I wouldn't pay that for a blowout.  Why can't they do their own hair if it isn't a complicated updo?

I agree find another hairdresser.

• Back to the OP, I would be honest with your hairdresser and tell him that the number of girls he will be doing hair for has changed. A few of the girls have opted to go to their regular stylist or do their hair themselves because the rate he is charging isn't in their budget. Unless he is having to travel a far distance to do their hair the rate seems crazy. I think my sisters paid about $30-40 for a nice blowout, they both have about shoulder length hair. That was just a year ago. I realize prices vary though based on location and even the skill level/popularity of your stylist.
  • That's crazy.  The nicest blowout bar in DC charges like, 40-50, tops.
  • manateehuggermanateehugger member
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, that price range is insane. I think the max I've ever paid for a blowout is like $30-35.

I'd be telling him that he can lower his price or you'll have to go elsewhere. 

ETA: And that was when I had long, wavy-ish hair. 
  • The woman who did my hair charged $70 for a fancy up-do and $40 for a blow out, regardless of hair length.  (This was in NYC btw..)  I didn't have a preference how my bridal party wore their hair, in the end my two sisters (my co-MOHs) used the hair stylish I went with, since she came to my parents' house where I was getting ready, and they liked the convenience of it.  My good friend (bridesmaid) went to her own hair stylist, because she was able to get a better rate.  Everyone looked fabulous in the end :)

$75-100 sounds a bit steep for a blow out.
  • Sounds way to expensive for just a blow out.  The salon I am going to charges about $35-$45.
  • iloveu4everiloveu4ever member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2014
    My bm might get curls or something simple.

• Looking at prices in Boston area, depending on hair length starts at $35, but many salons charge 50+.  Also, traveling stylists charge a lot more. Higher charges to add curls to blowout. It doesn't seem that you are getting a "deal." But you may want to just see what other options are available in your area just to get a sense of your area market.
  • @PDKH..."He can lower his price"??? No, his rate is his rate. Bottom line. If the bride is unhappy with the rate quoted, she has every right to go elsewhere, however, if he is asking for a certain amount per blow out, then there should be no haggling. That't tacky. Anything on-location is going to be more expensive.
    First of all, this thread is old, so thank you for digging it back out for no reason. Two, I didn't tell her to haggle, but since he didn't even give her a dedicated range between $50-$100 (which is a ridiculous range for a blow out, I'm sorry) it wouldn't hurt for her to ask him to be more specific, three you are a vendor.

@KnotPorscha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards