Moms and Maids
Options

International Sister is MOH and her own Bride

I need some help. My older sister and BEST FRIEND and Maid of Honor. She got engaged last year in July and is having a 2 YEAR engagement. I got engaged at Christmas and am getting married now before her (9 months and a different year before her). Since we have announced our wedding date she hasnt so much as texted me. We went from being the best of friends and talking or texting and emailing almost daily to literally NO communication. I understand that things are different and difficult considering she lives in Europe, but we both discussed that we would do whatever it took to have our days for ourselves and to still include one another (since I am her MOH) in everything. And now I have nothing from her, its like radio silence. I dont know what to do or how to approach the situation. I dont want to start a disagreement or seem like I am hyper sensitive, but I only get ONE of these too and even though she is older she chose the lengthy engagement.

HELP... please!

Re: International Sister is MOH and her own Bride

• Options

I need some help. My older sister and BEST FRIEND and Maid of Honor. She got engaged last year in July and is having a 2 YEAR engagement. I got engaged at Christmas and am getting married now before her (9 months and a different year before her). Since we have announced our wedding date she hasnt so much as texted me. We went from being the best of friends and talking or texting and emailing almost daily to literally NO communication. I understand that things are different and difficult considering she lives in Europe, but we both discussed that we would do whatever it took to have our days for ourselves and to still include one another (since I am her MOH) in everything. And now I have nothing from her, its like radio silence. I dont know what to do or how to approach the situation. I dont want to start a disagreement or seem like I am hyper sensitive, but I only get ONE of these too and even though she is older she chose the lengthy engagement.

HELP... please!

Call her up and ask her what is wrong. Don't say "are you mad I am getting married before you?" or anything like that. Just call her up and ask her that you have noticed that your communication has decreased and you are wondering if anything was going on in her life that she would like to discuss or talk about. Just leave the wedding stuff off the table.

• Options

@Maggie - I actually did that this past weekend and tried to see subtly if there was something on the table that I missed or maybe said or did to uspet her. She told me nothing was wrong, that she was busy over the last few months with other things and such. Sadly I know better because she is in constant contact with our mother. Call it wedding paranoia I guess right? Just have that sinking feeling that this is the start of a very distant relationship that we struggled to keep all these years of being apart.

• Options

@Maggie - I actually did that this past weekend and tried to see subtly if there was something on the table that I missed or maybe said or did to uspet her. She told me nothing was wrong, that she was busy over the last few months with other things and such. Sadly I know better because she is in constant contact with our mother. Call it wedding paranoia I guess right? Just have that sinking feeling that this is the start of a very distant relationship that we struggled to keep all these years of being apart.

It does sound like your sister is upset that you are getting married before her.  Just keep up on your communication with her, just don't mention your wedding.  She just needs to get over this, because that's what she should do.   She probably just needs some time.
  • Options
    What OliveOil said.  Just give your sister some time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards