Attire & Accessories Forum

What dress should MOB wear?

My husband's daughter is getting married in late Oct. 2014.  Both the ceremony (2pm) and reception (5pm) will be held inside at nearby hotel, so I don't know if that qualifies as a daytime wedding.  The attendants will be wearing short strapless black dresses with red shoes and the bride is wearing ivory and red shoes. Her Mother has chosen a bright red knee length plain dress. And she has also hinted that she may wear black/white animal print shoes/purse. Both of my sons will be part of the wedding party and along with my husband, will be wearing tuxes.  Being that I see this as a formal event, I would like to wear a full length or at least a tea length dress.  I feel that the mothers should choose a "special occasion" dress that compliments the formal-ness of the event.  I recently started shopping and found several dresses that are floor length. Most likely I will wear black or a darker red with some beading or accented pin on the dress.  My question is will I be over dressed?  The sales person at the store advised me that I should wear what ever I want, however I don't know if it is appropriate for me to be the only other person wearing a floor length dress, other than the bride.  I have know idea what the Mother of the Groom will wear. I have done some research and it seems that the MOB usually chooses her dress and then the MOG follows suit.  Do I have to find a knee-length dress and something that is not so "special occasion" because her mother did?  For the most part everyone gets along and the planning has been going will with everyone agreeing on what the bride has chosen.  I just don't want to look like I am trying to "out do" her mom.  Opinions? 

Best Answers

Re: What dress should MOB wear?

• Thanks. Those dresses are very nice and the look I was going for, classy with just a bit of elegance. I just started shopping and happened to try some dresses on at the bridal shop where she had her fitting. I guess this I going to be a long search, but I will definitely try the stores you mentioned. thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards