Nevada-Las Vegas

I want to vent too!

edited May 2014 in Nevada-Las Vegas
Saw a few other vent posts so I want to get in on the action lol. Okay this will be a little complicated to follow:

I bought a tux for my wedding because I've rented several times for others' weddings and rentals look horrible on me because they never fit right, or the rental place doesn't give a sh*t, so on and so forth. I bought all my GM's tuxes as well, so we all own the same tux.

One of my GM's gets married in 2012, so he and I already have the same tux. A great friend who wasn't in my wedding was also a GM so the married couple bought him a tux from Mens Wearhouse that looked almost identical (same lapel, same buttons, same sheen) to the tuxes I bought for my guys.

Now that friend is getting married and myself and two of my GM's are GM's in his wedding. If you're not keeping count, now we have a group of four who have identical tuxes. He has a best man and one other GM who do not have tuxes of their own. Mens Wearhouse does not rent the tux that the groom has; they only sell it.

Rather than having the two men out either rent or buy something that looks very close to what the other four of us already have, the bride has decided that even the slightest difference would simply ruin the wedding and the wedding pictures, so the only solution is that all six guys spend $140 to rent the same tux from MW. On top of that, we're even being required to rent the shirt, because who knows the horrors that could result if the 12 square inches of white shirt that are visible around the tie and vest (yes renting those too) were to be off in any way.

I made the mistake of pointing all of this out in the private facebook wedding party group and got a bridezilla response.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

Re: I want to vent too!

• omg I say you have a tux wear it. If  bridezilla want everyone in same tux then she rent them :) my opinion but hell what do I know lol

• That's insane!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's crazy,  someone seriously needs to talk to her.   Unless of course she wants to pay for them, then that's fine.
    We had our dream wedding in Las Vegas - 11.29.2014
  • The boys and I are going to try to have a sit down with the groom this weekend and see if we can work this out; not holding my breath though.  I should just wear my own anyway LOL

• I would lol who is she to dictate what the men wear.
  • Wow I thought I was bad haha bridezilla needs to either pay for those or quit the nagging.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • Wow, I would not be impressed. I made all the GMs rent their's but that was only because no one owned Grey!!! Actually after the wedding, one of the girls made her soon to be hubby go buy a grey suit! She loved him so much in it! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • true kikimira, but I mean if some owned tuxes then be different if all men had to rent

• a13049a13049 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    Fi and a group of friends work their suits to a wedding this winter.  They all had black suit.  I could not tell you anything different about the suits.  I could tell you one was poorly altered, maybe that guy borrowed, but thats it.  I can't tell you anything else.  I do notice tie shirt combos that I like, but when everyone is wearing the same color, no way.  I will never understand the crazy bridezilla thinking. 
  • tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    Oh JFC. I vote all the guys wear the suits they already own and see, if on the wedding day, she ACTUALLY notices. I would like to think I care about more on my wedding day than if one or two GMs are wearing a suit a slightly different shade of gray. Girl needs to read 50 Shades of Gray and lighten up a bit!!! ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ssteele04ssteele04 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    this is insane!! what kind of bride does that??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sorry, but I don't see the problem here. When you agree to be a groomsman or a bridesmaid, you agree to all the costs involved too. Just because 4 out of 6 already own tuxes has nothing to do with this particular couple's wedding. I was a bridesmaid last year and had to buy a red dress. Then last fall another friend was also having her bridesmaids wear red dresses. Two out of the 4 of us already had the red dress from the previous wedding, but the bride picked a different dress that we all had to buy. So now I have 2 red bridesmaid dresses. Boohoo. I never dreamed of giving the bride a hard time about it, or trying to get her to let me wear the one I already had in my closet. I think THAT'S insane. If you don't want to spend the cash, then politely decline and move on with your life. It's their wedding, they can have their wedding party wear whatever they want. 
  • @myriah505 - there's a huge difference between a red dress of one style and a red dress in another style. A grey tux is a grey tux is a grey tux, unless there's a huge difference in lapels or something. I sincerely doubt she'd even notice unless one tux is a charcoal grey and another tux is a light grey. As VG said, though, they are virtually identical in lapels, sheen, buttons, etc.

If I'm a bride, and the grey tuxes are that identical, I'm going to be gracious and generous to my nearest and dearest and say, "Whoa! They're the same! Yes, by all means go ahead and wear those. Then you don't have to spend money!"
  • KikiMira said:
    Wow, I would not be impressed. I made all the GMs rent their's but that was only because no one owned Grey!!! Actually after the wedding, one of the girls made her soon to be hubby go buy a grey suit! She loved him so much in it! 
    I wouldn't have an issue with that.  In fact, this particular wedding has a Hindu ceremony the night before and we're required to buy the outfits for that as well.  I have no problem buying the appropriate outfit for that event since none of the GM's are Indian, so of course none of us would have the correct attire.  I just have an issue with acting like one black tuxedo not precisely matching the next would stand out and ruin the wedding.

• dbacksgirldbacksgirl member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
     All I have to say is GOOOOOOOOOD LUCK to that poor groom! 

Wedding Day or not, that girl sounds like she's probably generally a pain in the ass.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Maybe you can dig up a photo of groomsmen all wearing similar but not the same tuxes and show her (or convince him) of how the differences won't show in pictures.
  • myriah505myriah505 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2014
    Ohhh, so this is about YOU getting to wear what YOU want. It's not your big day, who cares how "poorly fitted" your suit is? if that's what the bride wants then that's what she wants. If it's not  a matter of money then I especially do not see the problem. Do you know how many ugly, ill fitting bridesmaids dresses I have worn? When I have perfectly tailored, designer dresses in my closet? It IS comparable. Girls have to wear awful dresses all the time as bridesmaids. Sorry, but I STILL don't see the big freakin deal here. Calling her a "bridezilla" over this is completely uncalled for and a major stretch. Asking all the groomsmen to rent matching suits? Puhleez. I had a bride make me get highlights and  a spray tan before being in her wedding. Now THAT's a bridezilla. 

I don't mean to be rude, I really don't. I just don't see the point is complaining about something so trivial. Give her a break. You're the one being a groomsmanzilla...or whatever. lol. 
  • edited May 2014
    Yes, I have a tux, it looks fine, I want to wear it. So do the other 60% of the wedding party. I'm buying my Hindu outfit since I don't have one. I own a tux, I shouldn't have to rent one that already looks like everyone else's. You seem to have the misconception that a wedding is an excuse to make everyone else uncomfortable if it pleases you. The only thing my groomsmen were required to do was get to my room my room by 11am on wedding day and stand up next to me. I paid for their rooms, tuxes and bought them thank you gifts; they had no further duties, and judging by the fact that we've all been to at least three weddings since then and they continue to wear the tuxes I bought, I'm guessing they like them, unlike your bridesmaid dresses that you apparently felt were ugly and ill fitting.

The groom called me tonight; the whole thing is about her feeling if the tuxes, vests, ties and shirts are not identical in every way, the pictures will be "ruined". He said they have argued about this for the past week because he told her he could see no difference between them in the pictures from the past weddings we've been to in our mismatched tuxes, they're over budget, and he doesn't want to waste $140 any more than he wants us to.  She decided to go ahead with informing us all of what we'd be wearing regardless. So yes, I call that being a bridezilla.

• my bridesmaids love me lol! the ones i had when we planned up here and the different ones in vegas i have heard the same thing " thank you for letting us wear what we want to wear" 

I think she sounds like a bridezilla 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • myriah505 said:
    Ohhh, so this is about YOU getting to wear what YOU want. It's not your big day, who cares how "poorly fitted" your suit is? if that's what the bride wants then that's what she wants. If it's not  a matter of money then I especially do not see the problem. Do you know how many ugly, ill fitting bridesmaids dresses I have worn? When I have perfectly tailored, designer dresses in my closet? It IS comparable. Girls have to wear awful dresses all the time as bridesmaids. Sorry, but I STILL don't see the big freakin deal here. Calling her a "bridezilla" over this is completely uncalled for and a major stretch. Asking all the groomsmen to rent matching suits? Puhleez. I had a bride make me get highlights and  a spray tan before being in her wedding. Now THAT's a bridezilla. 

I don't mean to be rude, I really don't. I just don't see the point is complaining about something so trivial. Give her a break. You're the one being a groomsmanzilla...or whatever. lol. 
    You obviously didn't read my response, despite me tagging you in it.
  • spoon1984spoon1984 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    Surely the best scenario would be to put that money towards buying the two that don't own the tux the same one as the rest of you, hopefully common sense will prevail! If members of my wedding party had suits tailored for them I would be over the moon. The fabric and finish will great compared to a rented one. I'm very surprised people are buying their own bridesmaids dresses, I expect or at least my experience is to have a dress, shoes, hair and make up paid for me.
  • tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    myriah505 said:
    Sorry, but I don't see the problem here. When you agree to be a groomsman or a bridesmaid, you agree to all the costs involved too. Just because 4 out of 6 already own tuxes has nothing to do with this particular couple's wedding. I was a bridesmaid last year and had to buy a red dress. Then last fall another friend was also having her bridesmaids wear red dresses. Two out of the 4 of us already had the red dress from the previous wedding, but the bride picked a different dress that we all had to buy. So now I have 2 red bridesmaid dresses. Boohoo. I never dreamed of giving the bride a hard time about it, or trying to get her to let me wear the one I already had in my closet. I think THAT'S insane. If you don't want to spend the cash, then politely decline and move on with your life. It's their wedding, they can have their wedding party wear whatever they want. 
    It sounds like unfortunately you have fallen victim to many a bridezillas in the past. Most of us let our BMs pick out dresses THEY like, that fit THEM well, and that THEY are happy to spend their money on. 

And no, you don't agree to all costs involved. It's the responsibility of the bride and groom to confirm budgets with their bridal party members, not bestow costs on them with no regard to their budgets. 

Not all of us subscribe to the "it's MY day things will go MY way" mentality. And if the tuxes are something so trivial, then why is this bride complaining so much???
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am asking my girls to wear a black dress they're comfortable in.  That may mean something they already have or something they can buy and wear again.  Same with their shoes.  FI asked me how I felt about him buying black sneakers for the groomsmen to wear.  I'm fine with that because again, I want them to be comfortable and this day is NOT all about ME.  I honestly do not care one bit that their clothes may not match the person next to them. 

Sure, it's fine to have ideas about what you might like but if others bring up suggestions or ideas that might work better overall for those involved, they might be worth at least considering.  I know we're all different but I fail to see how an item of clothing on one of your friends could RUIN a wedding.  If that's the case, you might want to take a step back and try to get some perspective on the things that REALLY matter on your wedding day. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards