Attire & Accessories Forum

Guest of wedding dress, please help me choose.

i am 27 and the younger sister of the bridesmaid.  it is a summer evening wedding rustic vineyard style in a nice location. it is not formal black tie and not a casual summer outdoor wedding either. i bought this dress http://www.lyst.com/clothing/pisarro-nights-beaded-split-sleeve-silk-shift-dress-mocha-7/ and it is pretty but then i read it is tacky to wear a beaded dress if it is not a black tie wedding. and being a younger sister and not a close friend or family member i think it might be too dressed up and look like i want attention but even though it has beading it is a mocha color, kind of loose, knee length and has sleeves which make it seem a little more casual that a tight, strappy, full length, sparkly gown.  if i wear this i'm not going to accessorize except for everyday white gold ball stud earrings. the second dress is this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/321413603262?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 but i am worried it might look too casual like career dress because it is grey, loose, and sleeved.  i would dress it up with a statement necklace and maybe a embellished belt if the wrap tie isn't attached and a heel.  please help me pick which dress is more respectful, appropriate (not the prettier dress necessarily).  i don't want to look over dressed or under dressed.  i feel the first is a little over dressed and the 2nd is a little under dressed.   please help me pick the 1st dress, 2nd dress, or if i should keep looking.

Re: Guest of wedding dress, please help me choose.

• The first link is broken.  As for the second one, it's not my style, and I feel it maybe looks a bit night gownish with how loose it is.  

I can't see the first dress, but as long as there is not too much beading, I don't think it'd be a problem. 
  • http://www.lyst.com/clothing/pisarro-nights-beaded-split-sleeve-silk-shift-dress-mocha-7/

here is the link to the first dress sorry and thank you for replying this is my first wedding as an adult and not family wedding so i want to make sure.
  • sorry i'll make it easier and attached the photos which i should've done to begin with
  • LOVE the first dress. I'd just wear earrings and maybe a bracelet with that. I don't think it looks like you'd be looking for attention. I personally would rather be over dressed than under dressed.
  • I love Pisarro Nights dresses and think that one is perfectly appropriate. The cut and color are very conservative. Look at it this way: You are honoring the couple by dressing up for their wedding.
  • The first dress is cute, but my only concern is that with it being for a summer wedding, will it be too hot since it's a beaded dress.

If you wanted to make the second dress look dressier you can play up with some really fun costume jewelry and then some fun shoes to wear with it. Depending on your comfort level and where the hem falls on you, you could have it hemmed so it's more of a mini dress (similar in length to the beaded dress). Then on the plus side, you can wear the dress again for a less formal event by changing up the shoes & jewelry.

• The first dress, definitely. The second one is too informal for a wedding. Don't worry about the beading.

• Definitely a vote for the first dress. I've never heard that about beading and black tie. Sounds like silliness to me. The second dress looks too businessy to me, so if you didn't go with the first dress, I would look for something else and not go with that one at all.
  • My honest opinion:
    First dress looks a bit short (maybe the model is super tall).  It looks more of 'I'm going to a swanky night club' if it is as short as I think it is.
    Second dress is a little bit too business-like.

Anniversary
  • I like the first one and I don't think anyone would think you were looking for attention! It's pretty.

If you go with the second one - I would wear a big sparkly necklace with that one! Heels for sure.

• My honest opinion:
    First dress looks a bit short (maybe the model is super tall).  It looks more of 'I'm going to a swanky night club' if it is as short as I think it is.
    Second dress is a little bit too business-like.

^this. Of the two, I would say definitely the first dress. However, l would pay attention to the hemline because it seems very borderline for a wedding. It wouldn't work for a church wedding. It might be OK for an evening cocktail party kind of wedding.

And the beading isn't a problem. It's not flashy.
  • edited May 2014
    i bought the dress online so it is on it's way but i am 5'2" and i ordered a size larger than my regular size for a more relaxed fit.  so it won't be that short.  i am still searching for a dress i can wear.  thanks everybody.  i think i'm being confirmed of my thoughts that the first dress it too cocktail party and the 2nd is too casual.  i can't seem to find a knee length dress that isn't too bold or dark colored and semi-formal without looking like a bridesmaid dress.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    I just sent this dress to my daughter, and she is planning on wearing it to two weddings next week.  She is six feet tall, and this dress comes in proportioned sizes!  Yay!  I'm told this one fits very loose, and they recommend ordering a size smaller than normal.

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-sleeveless-cotton-modal-fit-and-flare-dress/id_234859

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • edited May 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards