Wedding Invitations & Paper

invitation wording

Should I let guests know that a cash bar will be available during the reception on the invitation?

Re: invitation wording

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    You shouldn't have a cash bar, so no.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    Bride and Groom
    request the pleasure of your company
    at their wedding
    Date
    time
    Venue
    City, State
    Bring money because they are charging you for drinks.
    Don't forget to bring a nice gift from their registry, too.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Don't have a cash bar, it's annoying and rude. 

If you aren't going to have drinks that is perfectly fine. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Look at your reception like a giant dinner party, because that's technically what it is. Would you charge someone for a glass of wine if they came to your house for dinner? No. If you couldn't afford/didn't want to offer wine at your dinner party, you just wouldn't offer it. You'd serve soft drinks instead. The same goes for your wedding.

• Should I let guests know that a cash bar will be available during the reception on the invitation?

• And another from one of my favorite movies French Kiss...

• The fact that this topic is coming up again:

The fact that NO ONE reads the damn stickies:

The fact that people don't understand why cash bars are rude:

Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I bet this makes the newsletter.
  • Should I let guests know that a cash bar will be available during the reception on the invitation?

Yes you should. That way they can decline your invitation and go spend their money on drinks and food at a place they pick for themselves.
  • Yes, so they can know not to come.

....is this real life?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

....is this real life?
  • this person is a troll!  stop giving it what it wants!!
  • I'm very suspicious of all these new "Knottienumbers" with their suspicious first posts. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCake said:
    I'm very suspicious of all these new "Knottienumbers" with their suspicious first posts. 
    TK automatically assigns you a name of "Knottierandomassnumbers" and you have to go in and change it.

It's what happened when I helped @bouncertony sign up. But when I signed up it made me put in a s/n first. So I'm guessing it's a new change they did. 
  • MagicInk said:
    AddieCake said:
    I'm very suspicious of all these new "Knottienumbers" with their suspicious first posts. 
    TK automatically assigns you a name of "Knottierandomassnumbers" and you have to go in and change it.

It's what happened when I helped @bouncertony sign up. But when I signed up it made me put in a s/n first. So I'm guessing it's a new change they did. 
    Another ridiculously dumb change made by TK.  "Hey lets make things harder with more steps so people are confused as fuck!"

• amcjbbamcjbb member
    First Comment Name Dropper

My opinion is to NOT put the cash bar part on the invite.  It's a wedding and most people know to bring money for the dollar dance and bar.  At least every single person I have ever met at every single wedding I have been to knows to bring money.  Leave it off the invitation and try to host some kegs and/or cases of wine for your guests.  Then they have some free alcohol and they can buy there own drinks if they want to.  All of the weddings that I have been to have had AT LEAST kegs of beer and/or cases of wine for the guest to drink for free if not more of an open bar concept.  I never know the alcohol situation until I get to the reception and that is fine with most people, because they come prepared.

Is the cash bar only for the reception and you are hosting for the social hour?

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    amcjbb said:

My opinion is to NOT put the cash bar part on the invite.  It's a wedding and most people know to bring money for the dollar dance and bar.  At least every single person I have ever met at every single wedding I have been to knows to bring money.  Leave it off the invitation and try to host some kegs and/or cases of wine for your guests.  Then they have some free alcohol and they can buy there own drinks if they want to.  All of the weddings that I have been to have had AT LEAST kegs of beer and/or cases of wine for the guest to drink for free if not more of an open bar concept.  I never know the alcohol situation until I get to the reception and that is fine with most people, because they come prepared.

Is the cash bar only for the reception and you are hosting for the social hour?

Nope.  Both cash bars and money dances are rude.  Your reception is supposed to be your thank-you to your guests for attending, and any idea that you are entitled to make money off your guests or expect them to pay for their own thank-you is inappropriate.  And regardless of what is done where you come from, most guests do NOT "know to come prepared" because it's not their place ot pay for their hospitality.  It is YOURS.
  • amcjbbamcjbb member
    First Comment Name Dropper

You are very rude in how you respond to people.  I'm not sure if it's your personality or because you can hide behind a computer, but it's not okay either way. 

There is no law that states it is illegal to have a cash bar or dollar dance.  To you it is rude, to others it is not.  It's not your wedding day so don't tear other brides down for what they want to do.  I thought this forum would be women giving advice in a helpful, positive manner, but so many of you rip each other apart.  This is already a stressful time in our lives to be planning a wedding and now you get to add women being bitches towards one another on top of it.  That's crap!  I try to express my answers in a nice way and it doesn't hurt me to do so.  I don't need to tear down another bride, just because she is doing things differently then me.  I hope she is so we all don't have identical weddings. 

I have NEVER thought to myself that it is rude that I had to pay for a drink at a wedding or to do the dollar dance.  In my view point, it is another way to help and support the couple that invited me to their special day.  Chances are they invited me, because I have helped and supported them in the past by being a good friend or family member. 

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    amcjbb said:

You are very rude in how you respond to people.  I'm not sure if it's your personality or because you can hide behind a computer, but it's not okay either way. 

No one was rude in their response to you, or anyone else.  Sorry, but what is rude is to have a cash bar or money dance or expect people to "be prepared" or pay for anything at your wedding.  PS: I don't care if you like me or not.

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    amcjbb said:

There is no law that states it is illegal to have a cash bar or dollar dance.  To you it is rude, to others it is not.  It's not your wedding day so don't tear other brides down for what they want to do.  I thought this forum would be women giving advice in a helpful, positive manner, but so many of you rip each other apart.  This is already a stressful time in our lives to be planning a wedding and now you get to add women being bitches towards one another on top of it.  That's crap!  I try to express my answers in a nice way and it doesn't hurt me to do so.  I don't need to tear down another bride, just because she is doing things differently then me.  I hope she is so we all don't have identical weddings. 

I have NEVER thought to myself that it is rude that I had to pay for a drink at a wedding or to do the dollar dance.  In my view point, it is another way to help and support the couple that invited me to their special day.  Chances are they invited me, because I have helped and supported them in the past by being a good friend or family member. 

Calling women bitches is hardly expressing your response in a nice way. 

Did you invite guests based on how they supported you?  Will guests that helped pay your mortgage or electric bill be allowed to sit at premium tables at your reception?  If you didn't help them financially before, why would their wedding be different? 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    Bingo!
    Blackout bingo!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards