Attire & Accessories Forum

Bridesmaids in different color shoes

I need some opinions.

I had my bridesmaids vote on whether they wanted to wear brown or white shoes for my wedding. I'm not concerned about style, but I thought either of those colors would work best.

All but one like brown. I said we would go with brown, because democracy wins right? Well this one, who is FIs sister, didn't like it and asked FI if she could wear white or gold instead.

I didn't want to be a mean bride so I said white. It's a little annoying, since now she will be odd man out. Also, she told FI that brown sandals are hard to find. That made it extra annoying, since it is a ridiculous statement.

Anyway, I won't stop her from wearing them, but would you think it was odd if all the bridesmaids but one had certain color shoes?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridesmaids in different color shoes

• Maybe you could have another one or two wear white sandals, as well (depending on how many BM you have)? If there is someone who doesn't care as much or who would be okay wearing white shoes, maybe have some wear brown and some wear white and then the mix and match wouldn't be so obvious. 

I am annoyed though because it's not too much to ask to wear brown sandals, especially if you don't care about the style. And for her to go behind your back to ask your fiance if she can do something different is annoying and disrespectful. 

If no one else wants to wear white shoes and you've decided not to tell her she has to wear brown, then let her be on her own. She is the one who will look weird. Not you. Not the other bridesmaids dresses who all match. Just her. 
  • clueclaw said:
    I need some opinions. I had my bridesmaids vote on whether they wanted to wear brown or white shoes for my wedding. I'm not concerned about style, but I thought either of those colors would work best. All but one like brown. I said we would go with brown, because democracy wins right? Well this one, who is FIs sister, didn't like it and asked FI if she could wear white or gold instead. I didn't want to be a mean bride so I said white. It's a little annoying, since now she will be odd man out. Also, she told FI that brown sandals are hard to find. That made it extra annoying, since it is a ridiculous statement. Anyway, I won't stop her from wearing them, but would you think it was odd if all the bridesmaids but one had certain color shoes?

let them wear whatever shoes they want. No one cares what color the BMs shoes are. 
  • I can guarantee you that this will be a non-issue on your wedding day.
  • Brown dress shoes that doen't look like your grandmother should be wearing them can be hard to find. At least that was the problem my girls were having, they voted for brown too. So I told them to go for something in a metallic, not specific to what color, just a metallic because they would go with the brown dresses. To be honest, you don't even notice them in the photos. you look more at the whole picture or the faces.
  • Yeah. I just didn't know what others would think. Every wedding I have been in or to, the bm shoes were the same colors. Im more annoyed that she is a know it all.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just decided I didn't care that much about shoes. The dress we chose is longer anyway, so I doubt people will see much.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    You could tell the BMs to wear brown or white shoes (so they would pick whichever each one wanted) or tell them to wear whatever shoes they want to.
    Bridesmaids in mismatched shoes:
    image.

• Erikan73 said:

Brown dress shoes that doen't look like your grandmother should be wearing them can be hard to find. At least that was the problem my girls were having, they voted for brown too. So I told them to go for something in a metallic, not specific to what color, just a metallic because they would go with the brown dresses. To be honest, you don't even notice them in the photos. you look more at the whole picture or the faces.

I think regular shoes might be hard, but they all decided on nice sandals. I see brown strapy sandals all over. My sister found hers at kroger.

Maybe it's hard for her though. I am not stopping her from wearing the white. I just didn't know what other people might say. I have heard people have weird opinions when it comes to weddings.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • doeydo said:

You could tell the BMs to wear brown or white shoes (so they would pick whichever each one wanted) or tell them to wear whatever shoes they want to.
    image.

I can let them choose. Thanks for the photos. I just haven't seen anything like that before. Like I said every wedding I have seen the colors at least match.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • clueclaw said:
    image.

I can let them choose. Thanks for the photos. I just haven't seen anything like that before. Like I said every wedding I have seen the colors at least match
    If someone says something about the color of your BMs shoes, they have too much time on their hands, and they need a hobby. 
  • I recently went to a wedding where the BMs ALL had different colored shoes. But I can tell you that the only reason I even noticed was bc I'm currently planning my wedding so I've been noticing more little things that I wouldn't normally look for.

I told my girls to wear any nude or gold shoe. Honestly no one will notice and your girls will be comfortable & happy!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Just to add - the brown's might even be in various tones of brown (anywhere from nude to taupe to dark brown could be considered brown).

Anniversary
  • I just spent my entire lunch break looking for white sandals, and I couldn't find shit. Where does your FSIL shop?

To be fair, I'm looking for wedge gladiator sandals, BUT STILL.

Anniversary
  • I do not like different colored shoes, they do not have to be the same style but same color.
  • I still resent the deeply uncomfortable silver heels I had to wear when I was a bridesmaid. It will totally be OK and not matter.
  • I don't think there's anything wrong with bridesmaids wearing different coloured shoes. I'm sure those that choose brown will all have different shades of brown anyway. Mine will be having different coloured shoes. I told them to wear whatever colour they want (since their dresses are ivory) and if they had shoes in their favourite colour, even better. Turns out, all my girls will each have a different colour and I am going to match their flowers to their shoes!

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• If they're wearing long bridesmaid dresses then nobody will notice. You can get away with it. If they're wearing short dresses it is much more noticable so it's up to you how picky you feel about it.
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • I cannot imagine giving any fucks over what color/style shoes BMs wear.  No one will notice or care. 
  • emz101emz101 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I like the idea of different coloured shoes, it makes things look more personable less cookie cutter.
  • chibiyui said:
    I just spent my entire lunch break looking for white sandals, and I couldn't find shit. Where does your FSIL shop? To be fair, I'm looking for wedge gladiator sandals, BUT STILL.
    I found these:

Heels.com I spend a lot of time there.
  • I just asked for no flip flops. Mis-matched shoes are no issue to me and if anyone talks shit about it then seriously they are the ones who need more going on in their lives and I don't give a fuck.
  • I'd seriously grumble to DF if I was required to buy brown shoes. I would never wear them again. Plus, browns are crazy hard to match.

Meh, it's only their shoes. No big.
  • CamiSelene said: I don't think there's anything wrong with bridesmaids wearing different coloured shoes. I'm sure those that choose brown will all have different shades of brown anyway. Mine will be having different coloured shoes. I told them to wear whatever colour they want (since their dresses are ivory) and if they had shoes in their favourite colour, even better. Turns out, all my girls will each have a different colour and I am going to match their flowers to their shoes! I love this idea!! I wanted ivory bridesmaids dresses but it was vetoed by pretty much everyone...my ladies have champagne dresses with ivory,nude,or blush colored shoes. 
  • Your guests will revolt at the sight of the mismatched shoes and leave with their gift.

No, nobody will care. Promise. Like a PP said, there are lots of different browns so even if they're all "brown" they likely still won't match. Let them all wear a neutral of their choosing (white, ivory, cream, tan, beige, taupe, brown) and you'll be fine, and they'll be happy that they can find something they'll actually wear again. 

If anybody cares that much about bridesmaid shoes at someone else's wedding, they need to reevaluate their life.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards