Louisiana-New Orleans

St. Patricks Church

My fiancé and I are Catholic and are considering have our wedding at St. Patrick's church on Camp street in New Orleans. The coordinator that I spoke with on the phone was very nice but mentioned that you need to get your wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses approved so I am a little concerned that there might be a lot of hoops to jump through. Has anyone had there wedding there an could offer some advice? Or maybe stood in a wedding there? 

Re: St. Patricks Church

• I'm getting married there in a couple of weeks.  I didn't have a hard time finding a wedding dress that fit their standards because I found a beautiful lace overlay, but I did have a very hard time finding bridesmaids dresses.  I ended up looking at mother of the bride dresses because they are more conservative than bridesmaids dresses. The ones I am using from David's Bridal have a small keyhole in the back and the lady is making my girls use a shawl the whole time.  I think that is a bit overkill, but oh well.  As for the NFP class, that is no big deal, just annoying to have to remember to do.  Overall, now that I am at the end, I think it is worth it.  It is such a beautiful church.  Hopefully all goes well in a few weeks.

Also, if you do get married there, make sure you have videographers and photographers who have done weddings there before because they make them stand in different places so they need to know how to get the close up shots, etc.  
  • Thank you for replying. What were the rules that she gave you for the dresses? I already purchased my wedding dress, so I am a little concerned. Also, who are you using for music during the mass? Did they require you to use a certain singer/organist?
  • For the bride: In keeping with Catholic tradition, St. Patrick’s church has always promoted modesty that befits a Catholic bride. I agree to abide by the guidelines for attire for the bride, bridesmaids, mothers, grandmothers, readers, gift bearers and any other women in the wedding party. This applies to the rehearsal as well as the wedding.  Whatever style dress is chosen; no cleavage or any portion of the breasts can be visible, and the back and shoulders must be covered. Strapless dresses may be worn with the addition of a bolero, shrug, jacket, shawl, etc.  Straps or cap sleeves of any type are not considered adequate coverage.

• I am wearing a strapless dress with a lace 3/4 sleeve overlay.  Its off the shoulders so technically my shoulders are uncovered, but it covers my cleavage and back which is what they really care about it seems.  I think they will work with you.  Look up some weddings at St. Patricks on the Studiotran website for inspiration.

Also, you do have to use their organist and cantors.  It was $300 for the organist.  We are not using singers so I dont remember how much they were.  You can bring in your own singer to do like the ave maria or something but you still have to use theirs for the rest of the mass.  Didn't matter to me as I don't know anyone.

One last thing, you cant live together if you want a mass at our wedding.  Although, no one checks so just say that you are not.  
  • Thanks so much for the information. I had a few other questions. I left you a PM.
  • Getting married this sat and we are second lining from the church to Gallier Hall. Next week I will tell you all about it. I also plan to post vendor reviews.
  • How did it go?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards