Chit Chat
Options

NWR - Annoying Baby Shower Registry

My FI's cousin is having her baby shower tonight on a Friday, an hour away from me, from 7-9 p.m.

While that is all already a little annoying, when I went to check out her three registries, there are multiples of the SAME or similar item. One registry has three baby baths while another registry has one of the same baths, so four total. I get sometimes moms want multiples for maybe grandma's or whatever but FOUR? All three registries have the exact same high chair on them, similar monitors and such.

When we registered for the wedding at two different places, we put nothing that is the same on both of them, except maybe sheets and towels. Nothing that is considered "big ticket item" like a vacuum or pots and pans.

C'mon clean up your registry!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR - Annoying Baby Shower Registry

• Options
    That seems, odd. I'd be confused by that. Are they the exact same item or different styles/ brands? Not that it makes any more sense that way.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Ugh I hate when people do that. I think people think it's convenient that whether you shop at Target or Babies R Us you can get the same thing... but nobody checks the OTHER registry to see if it's already been purchased! If you really do want 2 of something, you should register for both things at the same store so people know it's not an oversight and they're not embarrassed when you open duplicates of what they got you.

• Options

Both.

There are four baths, and two of them are the same, two different monitors, three of the exact same high chair.

I was definitely confused. Does she actually need four? Or did she just scan them at every store?

Good grief, this is why people buy gift cards.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Ugh I hate when people do that. I think people think it's convenient that whether you shop at Target or Babies R Us you can get the same thing... but nobody checks the OTHER registry to see if it's already been purchased! If you really do want 2 of something, you should register for both things at the same store so people know it's not an oversight and they're not embarrassed when you open duplicates of what they got you.

I will say, when it's time for babies, I will not register at Target cause their registry is terrible. I received 3 owl cookie jars, and they were not super accommodating about returns. And I had to go in multiple times to fix quantities.

Anniversary
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Dottie05 said:

Both.

There are four baths, and two of them are the same, two different monitors, three of the exact same high chair.

I was definitely confused. Does she actually need four? Or did she just scan them at every store?

Good grief, this is why people buy gift cards.

Like bath tubs?  No she does not need four.  Before DS could go in the full size tub I would just sponge bathe him if we were visiting family.  

I can see the two monitors depending on how their house is set up or if the baby is going to spend a lot of time at a family member's home.  I can also kind of see a second high chair for a family member's home if they were going to be spending a ton of time there.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    I will say, when it's time for babies, I will not register at Target cause their registry is terrible. I received 3 owl cookie jars, and they were not super accommodating about returns. And I had to go in multiple times to fix quantities.
    Ooohh noooo. Yuck.

• Options
    I don't think this is all that big a deal. Yes the four baths may be overkill but maybe they do have a summer place or multiple people that may be caretakers.

Having the same items on multiple registries makes sense. You may be able to get deals from one location vs. The other and some stores may not be as convenient as others for guests shopping.

We did that for our wedding registry with China and a few other items. If we saw that an item was fulfilled on one registry we just took it off the other.

I think this is a little too judgy.
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @banana468 I think that most of us are used to wedding registries and not baby registries. Your feedback is helpful! I've never even looked at a baby registry before.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    Well, when my friend did it she was shocked that people bought both things, and all the guests were super embarrassed and kept saying "I swear I checked the registry!" She didn't actually want 2 of everything. So yeah, judged her hard.

• Options

Well, when my friend did it she was shocked that people bought both things, and all the guests were super embarrassed and kept saying "I swear I checked the registry!" She didn't actually want 2 of everything. So yeah, judged her hard.

Yeah. You definitely need to monitor both registries if you want to eliminate the possibility of duplicates. We only had one baby registry and still had a few items that we had to return because we couldn't use doubles.
  • Options
    I know when my friend registered at Babies R Us years ago (her D is going to be 11 this year) that they automatically put stuff on her registry. Like a diaper genie. She was like "I don't want a fucking diaper genie". That could have happened as well.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    KPBM89KPBM89 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    I hosted a surprise baby shower for a friend and found out from her mom where she was registered.  Three different stores, but all of them had the same exact products except some brands that weren't carried at all three.  

Her mom said it was for convenience so that people can shop around and compare, which makes sense.  Since she didn't actually want 3 of everything, I made a note in the invites under the store names that several items could be found at all three stores and to try to check the others before/while shopping.  Most people used their smart phones to check the other stores when they went shopping from what they told me.  Also, her mom gave me the registry passwords and I tried to keep up with them to minimize duplicates for her.

At the shower (45 guests), she received all 3 of only 2 items and doubles of about 3 things.  I think if I hadn't mentioned it to people and kept up with her registries, she would've had a lot more duplicates.

• Options
    Dottie05Dottie05 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2014

I dont know what it is but I hate giving a duplicate gift at a shower or birthday party. It is a wierd embarrasment because it is not technically anyones "fault".

I think if you want to have the best price available then you should price check it yourself and put it on that registry. Just my opinion, but I think it would cause a lot less confusion.

ETA: Maybe I am judging too hard. If so, it is because-

-Friday night shower

-Driving distance

-FB event page that we had to "join" so she knew who wanted to come and would then send a mailed invite. Which is now being used to give us weekly baby/mom updates.

-'Diaper Coupon' in invite, that said said if we brought a pack of diapers we would get put into a raffle to win a prize.

-It is not her first kid. But I don't really side eye that because her first is at least 7 years old and is a different sex.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wait, is the mom to be hosting this?

Cause I'd side eye the shit out of everything then.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Dottie05 said:

I dont know what it is but I hate giving a duplicate gift at a shower or birthday party. It is a wierd embarrasment because it is not technically anyones "fault".

I think if you want to have the best price available then you should price check it yourself and put it on that registry. Just my opinion, but I think it would cause a lot less confusion.

ETA: Maybe I am judging too hard. If so, it is because-

-Friday night shower

-Driving distance

-FB event page that we had to "join" so she knew who wanted to come and would then send a mailed invite. Which is now being used to give us weekly baby/mom updates.

-'Diaper Coupon' in invite, that said said if we brought a pack of diapers we would get put into a raffle to win a prize.

-It is not her first kid. But I don't really side eye that because her first is at least 7 years old and is a different sex.

I'd side eye the other reasons too but not multiple registries.

Example: We have an Amazon Prime membership. An item may be less there AND with free shipping compared to Babies R Us. That may not be the same deal for you.

Similarly, if you shop a lot at Babies R Us, you may be able to use their coupons to get up to 20% off the purchase which can be a large savings.

• Options

@Banana468 - I don't mind the multiple registries either.

@chibiyui - The actual printed invite names other hosts, but the initial FB page is from the mom-to-be.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ok. That's much less side eye able.

Anniversary
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    I would happily take one of those cookie jars off your hands :3
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards