Chit Chat

What cake toppers do you love and hate?

I have seen so many opinions on cake toppers.

I like cake toppers. I love a lot that I see. What I hate are any toppers that suggest that one person doesn't want to be married. 

I know some people hate the cake topper my fiancé and I chose, and it made me want to ask what other people love and hate in terms of toppers. Pictures are appreciated if possible!

Re: What cake toppers do you love and hate?

• I'm a big fan of just flowers or something simple and elegant.  Cute or silly just isn't my style, but I don't hate them.  

I agree that anything that suggests that someone is getting married against their will or that makes fun of one of the couple is in poor taste.  
  • I love the Baucis and Philemon myth, so I have a real soft spot for intertwined trees.
  • I forgot to take a picture but the cake topper we're using has been used in every wedding in FI's family for like 60 years. It is just a bride and groom holding hands and looking at each other. It is ceramic and makes me a little nervous.
  • I don't know what we're going to do for cake. FI doesn't care about sweets whatsoever except brownies. I looooove cake. Cake ALL THE TIME.

FI saw cupcakes at a wedding we went to last year and thought it was the best idea ever. I am definitely not opposed to that at all. I also was thinking about cheesecake cups. Love me a damn cheesecake.

BUT, if we end up having a big cake, FI and I both agreed that I will make or get a topper made to look like this:

I'm not into monograms all over everything, but we are both big into the joining of our families and how supportive they've been of our relationship and us. Both our surnames start with R, as you may have guessed. That is probably the only place I'd put this, maybe on envelope stickers, idk?
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I hadn't really thought about a cake topper so far... I do love a cake that is just COVERED in sugar flowers though, so my default would be to just pile a bunch of flowers up there.  @lolo883 that topper is awesome!  Fi and I high five a lot (and fist bump) so that would be fitting for us too, actually.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    We high five a lot so we got this. I give zero fucks if anyone thinks it's dumb. We love it. :)
    I fucking love this! It is adorable and different but not like other ~different~ toppers because it isn't creepy, depressing, or inappropriate lol
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• InkdancerInkdancer member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    We just ordered this, except the petals are sheet music and the leaves are poetry. I am really, really excited.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I'm hoping that we'll just do a monogram, or even flowers.  I don't like figurines, but I don't judge anybody else's.

• I have seen so many opinions on cake toppers.

I like cake toppers. I love a lot that I see. What I hate are any toppers that suggest that one person doesn't want to be married. 

I know some people hate the cake topper my fiancé and I chose, and it made me want to ask what other people love and hate in terms of toppers. Pictures are appreciated if possible!
    Can you show a picture of your topper? I'm curious now

As for my favorite that would be the one we used pictured below!

imageimage
  • I have seen so many opinions on cake toppers.

Can you show a picture of your topper? I'm curious now

As for my favorite that would be the one we used pictured below!

imageimage
    @vivandiere8 I love it-- so romantic!  And just a little different from the typical B&G standing next to each other so you give it a second look.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I like the idea of toppers but haven't seen anything that is "us" enough to bother buying. I refuse to have one that doesn't make both parties happy and in love and I haven't decided on changing my name. If we see something and it's reasonably priced, we'll get it. We're also happy just leaving the cake alone.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    I don't like banners or random words.  I don't like random animals (eg. giraffes) made to look like the couple.  I don't like gorey ones (eg. zombies).  
    I like when they are custom to look like the couples' fur babies, like @FiancB's.
    I like initials:
    No topper/flowers instead:
    As for the toppers that are supposed to look like the couple, I like when they are kind of romantic and not trying to be too cutesy or funny.  Example of ones I like:

• So a friend made us a topper. It's Moriarty wearing the crown (yum, Andrew Scott, I don't care if we bat for the same team) and Figment curled around his shoulders.

She did it as a joke. DF put his foot down and wants the topper. I agreed to indulge him since he's just said "sounds good" to my cake demands.

So Moriarty and Figment are our topper.

Why yes, we are geeks.
  • I find generic toppers pretty boring. I like hand-crafted ones, especially if they say something about the couple.

I'm making something like the attached. I know it's not everybody's style, but I like them. No mustache though!
  • This is the cake topper that comes with our package/venue; I love it even if it's not 100% the most original

Anniversary
  • I made our cake topper out of twisted wire. It's kind of like this, except there are two hearts above our initials, which are closer together. I painted it dark purple so it will stand out more against the white cake and the white wall behind it. It was a fun experiment, and I'm glad it turned out!

• I love the Baucis and Philemon myth, so I have a real soft spot for intertwined trees.
    I love that myth too! It's such a sweet story of kindness and of love that lasts forever. 
  • My fiancé really loves guns. He picked the cake topper and really loves it. I love it too, but my favorite was the other picture, in which the bride and groom look like they are embracing or dancing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards