Snarky Brides

What is with the stereotypical ugly bridesmaid dresses?

2»

Re: What is with the stereotypical ugly bridesmaid dresses?

• I now wish I would have told my BMs "wear a blue dress, royal or sapphire blue-ish." They still had a fair amount of leeway (DB, short, chiffon, horizon blue), but now I couldn't care less that their colors match or that the fabric matches. My cousin purchased hers months ago, my MOH has a short, chiffon, horizon dress from a previous wedding she was in that she'll probably re-wear. On a different note, a picked up a DB short, chiffon dress in some bright orange color at goodwill for $3.50 and have worn it a few times. I've gotten a lot of compliments on it, and no one has said (to my face at least) that it looks bridemaidy.
  • I'm too girly at times because gimme sashes! So I don't care usually.

Did have one - the dress would have been nice in one color. But oops, yellow with black trim. Looked like a freaking bumblebee. Bride really thought the dresses were lovely, they weren't more than $50 so I looked like a bee. We're still friends and now she agrees with the bee look. Oh well.

Odd one was the cream corset style top with various pastel colored fluffy skirts. Looked like I was wearing an orange pile of whipped cream. But, I didn't pay for said dress, so whipped cream it was.
  • MagicInk said:
    I re-wore a bridesmaid dress for Halloween. I was "Miss Understood"

It was one of those long chiffon dresses. Just bought me a sash and a $1.00 crown. 

I trashed it after that!
    Forget trash the dress for the wedding dress, we need to start having trash the bridesmaid dress sessions.
    I'm not a fan of trash the dress shoots (because, if you aren't going to keep it, donate or at least sell that thing to some girl who would love it), but I could totally get behind this idea. 

I have a full length satin kelly green rouched dress - that we wore in August in the Midwest. I would love to see it burn.
  • I went the I'll pick a color, you pick a dress route. And one of the biggest joys I had from doing this was when my friend called me to tell me she went to pick up her dress from the shop in her hometown accompanied by the bride for another wedding she is in later this year. The bride liked the color and the dress so much, she decided to use it for her wedding. So... my friend definitely gets to wear her bridesmaid's dress again and doesn't have to buy another one. Bridesmaid dress win!
  • MW5280MW5280 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    My sister is my only attendant at our wedding in September. She's the MOH in a wedding this weekend and has had to shell out more money than necessary on this dress because of her well endowed chest. 

We're cutting off the damn thing and she's re-wearing it for mine. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is why I picked a non-BM dress for my girls. When I picked them out, I was like, I would really love to wear this myself! In fact, part of me is sad now that I didn't save for my rehearsal dinner dress, but my BMs will both look way better in it than I would, anyway.
  • I told my BMs that they can get any dress they want as long as it's metallic  (we are doing mixed metallic for dresses and gm's ties. I want to tie the ladies together with maybe a matching hair flower? Not sure yet.

I will be buying them each a necklace of their choice from this store that I just discovered called Charming Charlie. It's like a sparklefest I absolutely loved it (even though I have a nickel allergy and left the store very itchy just from looking and touching!)

• I'm lucky - my sister picked dresses off the rack from JC Penney's. They are real dresses that all of us will and have worn since her wedding!

But ya, some of the train wrecks you see on the internet (or in movies) just make me want to cry. I mean who does that to their family/friends?
  • My favorite was the cool creamy white sheath dress with a shrug/short jacket thing. That's the one DF loves.

Plus, dang right, I promptly redid a few tiny parts and I have a fantastic Irene Adler white outfit.
  • KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    I have five that I will never wear again, heck three I donated to Project Prom, because I could actually see them being worn as prom dresses... I purchased my BMs their dresses. One BM keeps saying she can wear it again, I just laugh. Maybe, but I doubt it. Although I do think the dresses they picked are very pretty.
  • kasmith1 said:
    I have five that I will never wear again, heck three I donated to Project Prom, because I could actually see them being worn as prom dresses... I purchased my BMs their dresses. One BM keeps saying she can wear it again, I just laugh. Maybe, but I doubt it. Although I do think the dresses they picked are very pretty.
    Is that the dress they picked? If so, I would totally wear that again as much as I could. In my field, it would fit in quite well at most of the evening events. And with a swap to a contrasting belt and some cute shoes, I'd wear it out for drinks with the girls.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I don't get the popularity of strapless dresses! Especially for church weddings! When would you ever wear a tight, strapless, silk number to church? Oh right! When everyone will be starring at you! Why do people do that? Plus, if the strapless doesn't fit perfectly, its a disaster. 
    I'm gave my BM a choice of 4 different dresses all with different styles/necklines and they all chose the same one! Go figure!

The one we ultimately chose is this one http://www.jasminebridal.com/ugC_Product_Detail.asp?hidP_kind=Bridesmaids&hidP_style=B2&hidj_line_order=2&selIncSLength=02&hidP_Style_ID=B163010  In a really dark shade of purple. I like it because its not so "cliche" bridesmaidsy. My girls will hardly need any alterations too... which is a huge plus.
  • Inkdancer said:
    MagicInk said:
    I re-wore a bridesmaid dress for Halloween. I was "Miss Understood"

It was one of those long chiffon dresses. Just bought me a sash and a $1.00 crown. 

I trashed it after that!
    Forget trash the dress for the wedding dress, we need to start having trash the bridesmaid dress sessions.
    I made my terrible dress into a throw pillow and gave it to the bride as a wedding keepsake.
    Omg.  I love this idea.  I mean, because if she never displays it, then you KNOW she knows it was ugly.

I might do this for an anniversary gift for my friend.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I had my BMs choose theirs (with the guidelines of color fabric and length) one BM tried to wear hers to an event before the wedding and before she even asked me if that was ok, I guess a few of her other friends shot that down, but then she ended up wearing it 2 weeks after my wedding as a guest at another wedding. I know my sister wants to wear hers again, but where she was the MOH at my wedding she's waiting to get invited to a wedding where there was really no one from mine (like a friend or on her BF's side). No idea about the other girls, but I was thinking of asking to borrow one of their dresses that I really liked for when I get invited to a wedding where there will be minimal overlapping guests from ours.
    Me too!!!  I asked the girls to get long/black/chiffon. Style/designer/store completely their choosing.  One of my b'maids wore her dress to another wedding as a guest before she even wore it in mine!  One BM borrowed her dress from someone else who had one within the criteria, and my sister re-wore a dress she had worn in another wedding.  Success all around, I think.  Everyone was happy with their choices, because they were just that-their choices. I cringe at most other b'maid gowns.
  • I let my bridesmaids pick their own styles, i just picked the color and fabric (actually we all just agreed no satin, any other fabric was fine). They all looked so great! and I was thrilled to hear my sister has already found an opportunity to wear her's again as a guest at another wedding! I definitely think that's the best way to go, especially if you have a lot of bridesmaids like I did. With so many different body types it's hard to find one dress that everyone will feel good in
  • KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    kasmith1 said:
    Is that the dress they picked? If so, I would totally wear that again as much as I could. In my field, it would fit in quite well at most of the evening events. And with a swap to a contrasting belt and some cute shoes, I'd wear it out for drinks with the girls.

SITB
    It is the dress they picked, they went a bit above my budget but oh well. It has a navy underlay and it's very pretty, you always hope that it can be worn again, but it's just such a cliche to say that that I laugh.
  • kasmith1 said:
    SITB
    It is the dress they picked, they went a bit above my budget but oh well. It has a navy underlay and it's very pretty, you always hope that it can be worn again, but it's just such a cliche to say that that I laugh.
    It's totally cliche, but I think there's more of a likelihood that non-traditional dresses will be worn again. I already told both my BMs that if they don't want to keep their dresses, they can give them right back to me (I paid for them), and I'd wear 'em to work functions!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• We're all going shopping together next month. I don't need the dresses to be the same color or exact same dress- I just want them to go together well enough- color palette that goes together and dress styles that are somewhat similar. I'm not even choosing the store/designer- we're just going to one toegether so we figure out sort of a 'theme' to the dresses everyone can get behind and choose colors people look good in and feel comfortable in.

The girls have always been drama free- so I'm hoping this continues when we go to look at dresses together. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards