Florida-Central Florida

Engagement party (help!)

Not sure what to do.... So bascially when we first got engaged FIs mom mentioned wanting to throw an engagement party for us. I don't care either way but as everyone already knows we are engaged what is really the point since it wouldn't be annoucing it.  To me it looks like we are just trying to get gifts which I could care less about.  It went away for some time but I just recieved a message on facebook from my FIs aunt who is always trying to help with wedding planning and advice. Her and my FMIL are aparently not talking to each other right now because FMIL thought she was trying to get too involved in wedding planning. In the message FIs aunt mentioned they still weren't speaking but that she wanted to know when our engagement party is. 

As far as I know there isn't one happening at present and I would never set up an engagement party myself that is tacky.  Another issue is that if it does happen it is really hard for me to take off work. We live out of state and so far all the time I have taken off have been to go back home to wedding plan.  I am not even getting thanksgiving (first thanksgiving without family).

I just don't want to get into this drama. I am not sure what to tell her.

Re: Engagement party (help!)

• edited December 2011
    I'd just let her know you guys were not planning to have one. Simple and to the point. Don't go into detail of why if she doesn't ask.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    225 image Invited
    127 image Making the Trip
    98 image Missing out
    0 image MIA
    RSVP date February 19th
  • Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with just telling her that you didn't plan on having one. I was in a similar situation with FMIL, she actually just mentioned having an engagment party the other day and the wedding is in 4 months! I told her it was too late, but now she has this idea of having a shower instead. So, that could be an idea for your FMIL, if she really wants to plan a party, have her do a shower instead of an engagement party.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • edited December 2011

But it isn't my FMIL asking about the engagement party it is my FIs aunt who is wondering when the date for the engagement party is.  Should I just tell her well at this point to my knowledge one isn't planned?

• Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-central-florida_engagement-party-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:66Discussion:1e3f9dc9-cee3-46ce-829b-596da649b2cfPost:b71c2db1-7013-4e1d-8dab-99256d3f6453">Re: Engagement party (help!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]But it isn't my FMIL asking about the engagement party it is my FIs aunt who is wondering when the date for the engagement party is.  Should I just tell her well at this point to my knowledge one isn't planned?
    Posted by irisheyezfsu[/QUOTE]

Oh, ya, I'd just tell her that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • AileeneGAileeneG member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just tell her that you aren't aware of one, but you'll let her know if something does come up.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I just hate drama and most of all family drama
  • edellisedellis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-central-florida_engagement-party-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:66Discussion:1e3f9dc9-cee3-46ce-829b-596da649b2cfPost:79ad278b-1fa3-492b-9886-ec7882d4d0c2">Engagement party (help!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not sure what to do.... So bascially when we first got engaged FIs mom mentioned wanting to throw an engagement party for us. I don't care either way but as everyone already knows we are engaged what is really the point since it wouldn't be annoucing it.  To me it looks like we are just trying to get gifts which I could care less about.[/QUOTE]
    Hmm, I sort of see what you mean by what's the point since everyone already knows about it, but that pretty much happens anyway b/c either you tell everyone or they find out from someone. Plus with FB these days, it's almost not impossible to know what's going on. If you do have one, don't think it will look tacky or it's because you expect gifts. Because if people feel obligated to bring a gift (and really dont want to) they just won't come. But I can imagine you have a lot of people who are just thrilled to pieces that you're getting married, and they just want to celebrate. Besides, I think that's a nice gesture from your FI's mom. I got enagaged in June, and we aren't having an engagement party till after I graduate (so busy right now). I am not doing it b/c I want gifts. I'm having one b/c I want to spend time with people I love and have a good time. To me, an engagement party is just another reason to celebrate.

However, if the real issue is that you have difficulty taking off work and traveling then you know what has to be your priority. I am sure she'd understand.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards