Getting in Shape

Fat Skinny

So I realize this is a "better" problem to have than starting from scratch, but are there any ladies out there who have lost a large amount of weight only to find themselves with leftover loose skin and cellulite everywhere? A few years ago, I lost about 70 lbs by eating healthy and training for a marathon. I had been overweight my whole life and never dreamed I could ever wear a size 2 or 4 like I do now. I'm only 5'2 and once weighed over 200 lbs. When I'm wearing clothes, I feel very confident, etc. and am happy with the way I look. Underneath though, my skin is saggy and dimply everywhere! I still would never go outside in a bathing suit. Most people wave me off because they can see that I'm small....until I show them...then they say, "Oh, I see what you're saying..." and say.."maybe another 5 lbs?"

Anyway, my question is this: do I need to lose more weight before I can tone up (I do pilates pretty regularly and still run) or is surgery my only option? I don't want to do the surgery because I would need it everywhere - stomach, arms, legs, "tush," even my knees! Also because it's obviously expensive and not the most fun thing to do on a Saturday afternoon. If any knotties out there have any advice, I'd love to hear it!

Re: Fat Skinny

• Losing more weight will have zero effect on your loose skin.  Even toning up may not help.  When you lose a large amount of weight your skin will sag and sometimes will not have enough elasticity to bounce back.

If you are happy with your weight then I would concentrate on building muscle/strength and maintaining your weight.  But you need to have a realistic expectation that even by doing that that your skin may not fully bounce back to normal.

I do, however, commend you on taking control of your health and losing the weight.  That is an immense accomplishment and you should definitely be proud.

• I don't think losing weight will do anything and I think you'll have to focus on toning up. The only thing that will help is surgery. You can try some "skin tightening" lotions and serums that have caffiene or peptide in them (look on sephora or ulta's website). There are also other cosmetic treatments besides surgery that can help tighten skin and get rid of cellulite. Perhaps you could visit a cosmetic dermatologist to see what they suggest.
  • I hear seaweed wraps help (wouldn't be an immediate fix or anything though), but I haven't tried.  Keep your skin moisturized!  Skin has a lot of elasticity to it and it will shrink over time.  I had the same problem - lost a hundred pounds and got really self conscious about my breasts because the skin would just sit in my bra and be wrinkly in some places :( It's slowly but surely gotten tighter.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @nellesaur Congrats on the weight loss! That's fantastic! I have the same issue in the chest area. So just moisturizing has helped you? I have to admit, I'm horrible about that!
  • Thank you!  Moisturizing does help, yes!  Especially if you get the skin tightening kind.  I think Nivea makes a pretty good one for about $10 a bottle.  However, I've just used the Paris scented Bath and Body Works body cream cause it smells nice!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• So I realize this is a "better" problem to have than starting from scratch, but are there any ladies out there who have lost a large amount of weight only to find themselves with leftover loose skin and cellulite everywhere? A few years ago, I lost about 70 lbs by eating healthy and training for a marathon. I had been overweight my whole life and never dreamed I could ever wear a size 2 or 4 like I do now. I'm only 5'2 and once weighed over 200 lbs. When I'm wearing clothes, I feel very confident, etc. and am happy with the way I look. Underneath though, my skin is saggy and dimply everywhere! I still would never go outside in a bathing suit. Most people wave me off because they can see that I'm small....until I show them...then they say, "Oh, I see what you're saying..." and say.."maybe another 5 lbs?"

Anyway, my question is this: do I need to lose more weight before I can tone up (I do pilates pretty regularly and still run) or is surgery my only option? I don't want to do the surgery because I would need it everywhere - stomach, arms, legs, "tush," even my knees! Also because it's obviously expensive and not the most fun thing to do on a Saturday afternoon. If any knotties out there have any advice, I'd love to hear it!

• @KnotPorscha - the above poster is most definitely a vendor.

• Don't wait to lose more before starting. Start a basic beginner's strength training program. (New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5). I do Stronglifts 5x5, have lost 60.2 lbs as of this morning's weigh in, and have no loose skin. 
  • Thanks for all the advice, ladies! I actually started doing TRX (strength training essentially) in addition to my cardio and pilates and it seems to be working. I wish I would have done all three throughout, but oh well - better late than never.

@maggie and @knotporscha - I hope you weren't saying I'm a vendor as I'm definitely not! Not sure what I would be selling, but just wanted to clear that up in case others have doubts too. I was worried about sounding whiny or self-centered as I know how hard it is for people to just lose weight, let alone complain about not being toned enough, but didn't realize I was giving off the "vendor vibe" too...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards