Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

May 17th Vendor Reviews

emkretsch15emkretsch15 member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited May 2014 in Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
I was living in Mt Washington when I started planning my wedding, but ended up taking a job in South Carolina about 10 months before the big day…I could not have planned such a successful wedding from out of town if it weren’t for the recommendations I found on this board, so hopefully this will help someone!

Ceremony: Grand View Presbyterian Church, Mt Washington. B Pros are that the church is on Grandview, and they will marry nonmembers. However, it’s a smaller church and I didn’t feel that we had a good enough rehearsal; there were a few mishaps in the ceremony (nothing we can’t laugh about now though). It was somewhat difficult to communicate as well. It’s still a good location and option if you are looking for a church in the city.

Reception: J Verno Studios, South Side. A Loved the look and feel of the reception, and everything turned out so beautiful! J’s is such a unique place. J is sometimes difficult to communicate with, but we made it work even long distance. The fee is pretty steep, but you get to purchase your own alcohol and choose any caterer, so we found ways to make it work within our budget.

Catering: Yes We Cater A++++ I 100% recommend Yes We Cater! They are the best. They will work within any budget, and let us plan a very custom menu. My husband is a chef and they even used his recipes! The food was so good, and it really was one of our priorities. They also were fantastic at serving as the go between with J Verno’s and me. That really solved our communication problems. Definitely a great company and I highly recommend you use them if you choose J Verno’s.

Flowers: Budget Blossoms by Jillian A++ I found out about Jill through a post here, and I could not be more grateful! Everything that has been said about her is true. Jill found a way to give me beautiful flowers at a price I could afford, and better than if I had tried to DIY. She is very easy to work with if you are planning remotely. I actually never got a chance to meet her in person!

DJ: Jason Lacko, Pittsburgh All-Stars. A+ The company has a website that allows you to do all the planning ahead of time and Jason kept the night moving at a great pace. I know he books up fast though! I booked him last August and that was his last May 2014 availability.

Cake: Grandview Bakery A The bakery is one of Mt Washington’s better kept secrets, in my opinion. They are very reasonably priced, and the cake was delicious and looked exactly like we wanted. I’ve also used them for favors last year for a friend’s shower.

Favors: Pittsburgh Popcorn A I know they will cater your event and do a popcorn bar, but we opted to just buy in bulk and make favor bags. They were such a hit, and very affordable. The store only needs a few days’ notice on large orders.

Dress: Bridal Beginnings B- I absolutely loved my dress. I found it on my first shopping trip. I was really happy with the wide selection in my price range. I went back for alterations I was concerned since they said they wouldn’t quote me until they started work on it. They are known for expensive alterations, and my dress actually fit fairly well. I also have a very close friend who had a bad experience so I decided to just take my dress and go elsewhere. Once I told them I would not be getting alterations they were very rude to me and gave me a hard time when I came in to pick up the dress. The whole experience left me with a bad impression. All’s well that ends well, I suppose.

Alterations: Jenna Lee Allen A I also found a recommendation for Jenna here on the board, and she did a wonderful job! The fit was perfect. She was also very reasonably priced.

Hair & Makeup: Capristo Salon A- Capristo is a good option if you have a large party and/or want to get hair and makeup done in one place. They are expensive, but offer a nice bridal package that included snacks and drinks while we got ready.

Hotel Block: Sheraton Station Square A No complaints – they set up a block and kept me up to date with a room list.

Shuttle Service: Pittsburgh Transportation Group, A+ We opted for a shuttle between the hotel and reception for convenience and since the parking is a little tight at J Verno’s. PTG worked out great, and they were very easy to work with. They can accommodate a variety of shuttle and limo services.

Photographer: Lauren Zurchin A- I don’t have my photos back yet, but based on our engagement pictures and a few previews she showed me, I know we’ll be pleased. Lauren is very creative and up to try anything you have in mind. She also signs over the images to you so you can choose how you want to print. She did take quite a while to get our engagement pictures to us, and that was a bit frustrating. With that said I can’t wait to get our final wedding photos back!

Re: May 17th Vendor Reviews

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards