South Asian Weddings
Options

SIL Rant

SIL lives way beyond her means.  She does some contract work and finds herself short and asks FIL for money.  DH supports FIL and MIL, so he is funding SIL's shopping and going out indirectly.

When we went in November for the wedding, SIL told me that she will have the same wedding and DH will pay for it.  I didn't say anything because I was expecting DH would have to pay for her wedding.  (I just hope she will get married, and someone else can support her.)  Then she asked me about getting her a green card.  I told her I can't get her one, but I was surprised she would ask outright.  DH had given FIL a really nice digital camera as a gift.  SIL took it (DH had gotten her a new ipod).

In December, DH's grandmother needed a cataract operation and DH scheduled and paid for it.  SIL sent him a really rude email saying he shouldn't spend money on their grandmother!  DH was really really mad.  I was shocked!  Who says that?

Yesterday, SIL sent DH an email asking for $750 for her savings.  DH said no he doesn't have extra money right now (and why should we contribute to her savings anyway?).  She said he owes her because that's what she spent on her outfits for our wedding.  He told her that was her choice (MIL had even put aside one of the saris given for me and had the blouse made for SIL, but she didn't like it because it was too traditional).

She is finally seriously considering a guy she met (in an arranged way) and I really hope she doesn't scare this one off!

Okay, end of rant...

Re: SIL Rant

• Options
    edited December 2011

All I can say is wow!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, your husband is way too nice to her. I think someone needs to cut her off. Yikes!

Maybe she will get married to this guy she's considering and then she won't be a "burden" anymore?
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sending positive vibes that your SIL doesn't scare off her serious guy :)

Wow to what she puts your and DH through!  She should know better, and yes someone should cut her off from the funding... If you need money, go out and find a job!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I'm feeling less angry today (and got more sleep last night)... but I really do hope this guy marries her!  I feel bad I can't be closer to her because I always wanted a sister and since my mom passed away I've been having a hard time getting along with my own brother as well.  *sigh*  If only siblings could pull themselves together!
  • Options
    temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I also should add that SIL is 36!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_sil-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:fb741f02-f082-4dfc-848f-9910bfce29e9Post:d531819d-49f6-4a27-ad0b-3d31bdf27cd2">Re: SIL Rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, I also should add that SIL is 36!
    Posted by temurlang[/QUOTE]

Ouch. I feel like this makes the situation about 10x worse...
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_sil-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:430Discussion:fb741f02-f082-4dfc-848f-9910bfce29e9Post:a56bc287-32ef-432f-a8c5-3358508b45c6">Re: SIL Rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: SIL Rant : Ouch. I feel like this makes the situation about 10x worse...
    Posted by raangoli[/QUOTE]

Agreed!
  • Options
    SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She needs to grow up. I'm sorry, but she sounds pathetic. Your husband needs to tell her to support herself, no one should be her piggy bank.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yikes!  She sounds like a real piece of work.  I know she is your husbands sister, but I think hubbie needs to hold his ground and say NO.  She needs to grow up and the only way to do that is if she is on her own.  We all have family obligations, but this is just unreasonable.  Hopefully her husband to be will be able to handle her!
  • Options
    MrsBMMrsBM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh man that is bad.... :(

I have a crazy for a SIL as well ...but I think dealing with money issues with a crazy SIL is harder than what I have to deal with....(my SIL has an attitude problem)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards