Honeymoon Discussions

Need help planning honeymoon

My wedding was 2 weeks ago, but we couldn't go on our honeymoon right after the wedding because of my school schedule. I am graduating on August 2. My H and I are looking at going on our honeymoon the Monday after graduation. We would like to go to Hawaii, preferably an all-inclusive resort. We'd like to be on the beach, but also have activities. My H would die if we could find somewhere to rent a motorcycle for a day.
I am so overwhelmed with the islands and resorts! Any suggestions?

Re: Need help planning honeymoon

• Hawaii, along with all of the US, does not have AIs.  If you want an AI then you need to look into Mexico or the Caribbean.

Hawaii is going to be expensive, especially if you are needing to fly a good distance (like from East coast all the way to Hawaii).  What is your budget?  Have you given any thought to which island or islands you would like to visit?  Have you considered maybe doing a cruise of Hawaii (cruises are some what of an AI but not 100%)?

• Hmm, I was not aware we would not be able to find an AI in Hawaii. My H has been adamant he does not want to go to Mexico. I think he watches the news too much, he says Mexico isn't safe for Americans.  We will be flying from Florida, so yes, a good distance. We set a budget of between $3,000-$5,000. I've been looking online, and like I said, I'm getting overwhelmed with the islands. I really don't know which would be best. We want to do a little of both, relaxing and exploring. Any advice on islands?
    I'll have to look into cruises too.
  • I think with that budget it would be very difficult to go to Hawaii. If your H is against Mexico then look at some Caribbean islands to see what they have to offer AI wise. Also being in Florida you could easily catch a cruise from a nearby port to the Caribbean. An flights would be a less expensive flying to the Caribbean because of your close proximity.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    If you have your heart set on Hawaii, Norwegian cruises does a seven day trip around the islands out of Honalulu.  You will need to fly roundtrip to Honalulu, spend the night in a hotel, and board your ship the next day.  They take you all around the islands, and their dress code is casual, so no need to take fancy clothes.  Your fare covers the cruise, and food at the buffet, poolside, and the main dining room, and onboard entertainment.  Tips ($22 per day), alcohol, and shore excursions are extra.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • kla728kla728 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    My Fi & I went on a cruise around the Hawaiian islands last summer and loved it - Norwegian's Pride of America.  If you like cruising, it could be a good option.  Booking the flights to Hawaii will be pretty expensive though.  Like @Maggie0829 said, AI isn't really a thing in Hawaii.  However I feel like very recently there have been a few AIs or semi-AIs open up there... maybe others will chime in with specifics.  If you search the honeymoon boards for "Hawaii" and "all inclusive" you may be able to find more info as well.

Congrats & good luck planning your HM!
  • There are no AIs in Hawaii.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I looked at cruises last night, and it looks like Norwegian would be our only option. There others aren't until 2015/2016! I talked to a friend last night. Her husband is a chemical engineer and travels a lot for work. He offered to let us book under his company discounts and offered some of his points to help defer our costs. I am just floored by his generosity! The only issue, if it even is an issue, is that we have to stay at a Hilton. Now, we just need to decide on an island...
  • You're right, Maggie, we are only about 45 mins from Port Canaveral. We cruise a lot, often quickie weekend Bahamas cruises. Which is probably why we were looking to do something a little different.
  • dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker

An NCL cruise is going to be one of the most economical over view trips you can do.  It will cost you at least $1,000 per person to fly to Hawaii from the east coast -- an 11 hour trip if memory serves.  The cruise price starts at $1,900 per person & includes your room & food only.  You are already $800 over your max budget & you haven't factored in any sight seeing, tips or drinks. 

You may be able to get something cheaper if you use a site like Priceline for your hotel & you are not picky about accommodations.  You can grab things like PB&J at a local story & maybe split a bottle of wine or 6 pack on a picnic but . . .

Everything in Hawaii is more expensive because it's an island & things have to be flown in.  A gallon of milk is about $9.  It's got the highest cost of living in the US.  It is not a budget friendly vacation. 

You are going to get a better value elsewhere. 

• I have been on 17 cruises.  We always book with Vacations to Go.  You telephone them to make arrangements and to ask questions.  I have a travel agent there that I have worked with for years.  If you PM me, I will be happy to share his contact info.  He has saved us thousands of dollars over the years.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards