Chit Chat

Rant (Childish I know but I'm overly tired & stressed)

I know not everyone was raised the same way but I would think I shouldn't have to put a sign on my washer / dryer telling people to ask before using it. Apparently people don't have common sense. It makes sense why our electric bill was higher than it normally is....

Re: Rant (Childish I know but I'm overly tired & stressed)

• How are people gaining access to your washer/dryer? Are these strangers? Roommates who aren't allowed to use the washer/dryer for some reason?
  • hlvonbhlvonb member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    Blergbot said:
    How are people gaining access to your washer/dryer? Are these strangers? Roommates who aren't allowed to use the washer/dryer for some reason?
    @Blergbot

I live in a 4 family unit (4 unit apartment building) and the washer and dryer are in the basement.
  • hlvonbhlvonb member
    Blergbot said:
    Well, then you need to have your landlord send out a memo reminding the other units that they are yours and if people don't stop, they need to start paying you toward your utility bills.
    @Blergbot

Tried that. The landlord is great for when you need things fixed (doors, sinks, etc) but not so much when it comes to tenant vs tenant issues
  • Flip the breaker or pull the fuse out when you arent using it.  Or do they have access to the breaker?
  • I would probably write my own letter and put it under peoples doors. 
  • I would probably write my own letter and put it under peoples doors. 

SIB :(
    This is probably what I would do ask well. It's what I've done previously as a renter when I have issues with other tenants.

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    Could this be an honest mistake? I mean if I lived in a 4 unit building and there was a washer in the communal area (basement) I would assume it was for the building. 

I think it would be fair to put a note on it that says "Please note this is not a communal washing machine, it belongs to Flat X. If you would like to use it please call Y or contact the landlord on Z if you would like to install your own. Thank you"

And then see out it goes. If people are still using it, you can get an inexpensive plug lock (or if the plug has a hole in one of the prongs, just put a padlock through it). It means you will have to plug/unplug it when you want to use it, but since it is hidden behind the machine, the only people that will notice are the ones trying to use it! 
    I agree.

Put a lock on them and be done.   

ETA - or can you build a closet around the washer and dryer to close it off?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We had this problem when we had a washer and dryer in the basement that was hooked to our electric bill. If it's once in awhile, fine whatever. But if they are using it all the time, then you'll have to tell them yourselves, or get a lock like others have suggested.

• A lot of people who don't live in the East where they have these types of buildings don't really understand what they are like. It's pretty standard apartment knowledge around these parts that those belong to tenants and each tenant is responsible to buy their own and not use other peoples. Hense most six unit 3-deckers have 4-5 sets of washers in the basement. I would definitely put a note either on the machine or on tenant's doors saying landlord actionn will be taken if it continues (even if he won't do shit maybe they don't know that).

• Another vote for a lock.
  • jenna8984 said:

A lot of people who don't live in the East where they have these types of buildings don't really understand what they are like. It's pretty standard apartment knowledge around these parts that those belong to tenants and each tenant is responsible to buy their own and not use other peoples. Hense most six unit 3-deckers have 4-5 sets of washers in the basement. I would definitely put a note either on the machine or on tenant's doors saying landlord actionn will be taken if it continues (even if he won't do shit maybe they don't know that).

I'm from the east coast.  I've lived in multi-family places before.  I've never seen tenant specific laundry in common areas before.       Even bikes are locked up in common areas I do not think locks on washer and dryers to keep others from using them is really an outragous thing to do.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Another vote for locks.
  • jenna8984 said:

A lot of people who don't live in the East where they have these types of buildings don't really understand what they are like. It's pretty standard apartment knowledge around these parts that those belong to tenants and each tenant is responsible to buy their own and not use other peoples. Hense most six unit 3-deckers have 4-5 sets of washers in the basement. I would definitely put a note either on the machine or on tenant's doors saying landlord actionn will be taken if it continues (even if he won't do shit maybe they don't know that).

I've lived (and rented) in the Northeast my entire life and I've never seen a building where they had a w/d in a common area, but it belonged to only one particular residence. I would assume if it was in an area I had access to, it was communal. If saw/received a note saying that the w/d was only for Apt A, I would be calling the landlord to verify. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    jenna8984 said:

I'm from the east coast.  I've lived in multi-family places before.  I've never seen tenant specific laundry in common areas before.       Even bikes are locked up in common areas I do not think locks on washer and dryers to keep others from using them is really an outragous thing to do.
    Weird! Maybe it's a landlord thing. All the ones I've had gave me the tour and said "There's a hook up here for your washer/ dryer. Don't use the other's without their permission". Maybe some landlords give you the tour and make it seem like it's included for your use. I'm on board with locking them as well if there's a way to.

• I'm also on board for locks.
  • hlvonbhlvonb member
    Flip the breaker or pull the fuse out when you arent using it.  Or do they have access to the breaker?
    @ktjanesmom

They have access to it unfortunately :(
  • hlvonbhlvonb member
    edited June 2014
    Could this be an honest mistake? I mean if I lived in a 4 unit building and there was a washer in the communal area (basement) I would assume it was for the building. 

I think it would be fair to put a note on it that says "Please note this is not a communal washing machine, it belongs to Flat X. If you would like to use it please call Y or contact the landlord on Z if you would like to install your own. Thank you"

And then see out it goes. If people are still using it, you can get an inexpensive plug lock (or if the plug has a hole in one of the prongs, just put a padlock through it). It means you will have to plug/unplug it when you want to use it, but since it is hidden behind the machine, the only people that will notice are the ones trying to use it! 

I could see it being an honest mistake if it wasn't below my apartment number. There are individual hookups for each unit to have a washer and dryer. 
  • hlvonbhlvonb member
    I would probably write my own letter and put it under peoples doors. 
    @RebeccaFlower

I didn't think of that but it is a good idea.
  • hlvonbhlvonb member
    lyndausvi said:

I agree.

Put a lock on them and be done.   

ETA - or can you build a closet around the washer and dryer to close it off?
    @lyndausvi

The lock is a good idea. It would be easy to do with the washer but they dryer would be a pain to get to the plug. 

Sadly no, I can't build a closet around them :(
  • edited June 2014
    I'd probably be a dick and run an extension cord to someone else's plug and see how they liked it, if I knew they knew they were my machines. :)

But, uh, yeah lock sounds like a better idea. 

I had a dog walker come to my house for a while, and I caught her doing laundry in my (non-communal) basement. She a) left a pair of child's underpants on the floor, and I don't have a child and b) left the lint trap full of red fuzz when I own maybe two red things total (this was like a full load of red towels). Called her out on it and she denied it. She was fired on the spot.

ETA: can you pull the knobs off and keep them with you??

• I'd probably be a dick and run an extension cord to someone else's plug and see how they liked it, if I knew they knew they were my machines. :)

I had a dog walker come to my house for a while, and I caught her doing laundry in my (non-communal) basement. She a) left a pair of child's underpants on the floor, and I don't have a child and b) left the lint trap full of red fuzz when I own maybe two red things total (this was like a full load of red towels). Called her out on it and she denied it. She was fired on the spot.

• hlvonbhlvonb member
    I'd probably be a dick and run an extension cord to someone else's plug and see how they liked it, if I knew they knew they were my machines. :)

@lolo883

1. Your dog walker sounds like an idiot for trying to deny it.

2. I could but it wont stop. Our washer doesn't have a knob on it but people use plyers or what not to turn the dial.
  • hlvonbhlvonb member

You can still twist them with a pair of pliers. They wouldn't know how far to spin them though, so this might work!  It would be easier than locks.

The evil side of me says to poor some bleach in there. Just a little on the bottom or in the detergent slot and they likely won't even notice.  And if they get all upset, say you didn't know that other people were using your washer and drier and you were just getting ready to bleach some towels/trying to get it clean/get rid of mold/etc.
    @lovesclimbing

LMAO  I love it. Haha
  • Bleach it. It's your washer/dryer, you're just cleaning them.

Otherwise, straight up pull the fuses out. Makes it a pain to do laundry, but if there's no power....

What's the electric company say?
  • lyndausvi said:
    jenna8984 said:

Likewise.  I live in a triple decker right now with 5 apartments and there's only a communal washer/dryer owned by our landlady.

If I had my own appliances down there, I would make sure I was the only one using them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Who the hell do these people think they are?!

No, but really. I like the advice other PP's have given. I would kindly go to their units and explain face to face. That really is the only way to get them to understand. Esp if your bill is being affected by this. They would be asshats for knowing after the fact and still doing it. If it continues after you have spoken to them, lock it up tight! And charge them for the difference of costs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards