Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Beware of Pottery Barn registry!!!!

Save all reciepts!!

Unlike Bed Bath and Beyond and Bloomingdale's returning gifts to Pottery Barn is not easy. At Bed Bath and Beyond the process is simple. They scan your registry. This brings up all purchases made in their computer system. The sales associate then scans the items being returned and you get your credit to use later. The process is painless and efficient. 

Pottery Barn is exactly the opposite. They do not scan or look up gifts on the registry in the computer. They treat the return like it was any other purchase. Unless you go to the store with the receipt they will only give you the current price of the item in the store.

After a bad experience in the store I then proceeded to call customer service for help. The woman did not know the registry system well and was combative. I asked if I could speak with someone who did know it better and she declined saying she could help. 

I have spent more time on the phone with Pottery Barn trying to get this resolved than it took to repurchase new items with my credit at Bed Bath and Beyond. 

For couples and gift givers I do not recommend Pottery Barn. You may pay one price but that doesn't mean it's what the couple will receive when they return the item. 

Re: Beware of Pottery Barn registry!!!!

• Options
    Save all reciepts!!

Unlike Bed Bath and Beyond and Bloomingdale's returning gifts to Pottery Barn is not easy. At Bed Bath and Beyond the process is simple. They scan your registry. This brings up all purchases made in their computer system. The sales associate then scans the items being returned and you get your credit to use later. The process is painless and efficient. 

Pottery Barn is exactly the opposite. They do not scan or look up gifts on the registry in the computer. They treat the return like it was any other purchase. Unless you go to the store with the receipt they will only give you the current price of the item in the store.

After a bad experience in the store I then proceeded to call customer service for help. The woman did not know the registry system well and was combative. I asked if I could speak with someone who did know it better and she declined saying she could help. 

I have spent more time on the phone with Pottery Barn trying to get this resolved than it took to repurchase new items with my credit at Bed Bath and Beyond. 

For couples and gift givers I do not recommend Pottery Barn. You may pay one price but that doesn't mean it's what the couple will receive when they return the item. 
    While duplicates happen if I'm buying off of the registry I'm assuming they want and will keep the gift so I'm not really considering the return policy.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    scribe95 said:
    I would hope most adults understand that to receive the amount paid for the item you have to have a receipt. This is not a new concept.

*** exactly. 

On another note,  If you do not have the receipt how do you know the guests didn't get the item on sale?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I just hate my Pottery Barn registry in general. Things don't get marked off (just one example: one guest ordered three things online, all shipped at the same time, but only two were marked off, so I got 3 of the one unmarked item at my shower), items aren't grouped into categories like they are everywhere else, and things go in and out of stock sometimes within the same day. I even had crib bumpers added to my registry which I didn't think was possible because they don't sell them there! Not to mention, other things that were added that only show up on the manage your registry page - saying that I bought them myself. Everyone I've ever talked to in their customer service department has either been super flaky, downright weird, or unresponsive. If I could do it over, I wouldn't have registered there. They also have the most expensive shipping rates I've ever seen from any online store. I mean, $21 to ship anything that falls in the $125-$200 range? I'm not talking furniture items either - just regular sheets or dishes, etc. That's insane.

With all that said, I really wish all stores would transition to those purchase/return stickers so that no receipts are needed and the store always knows when and how much someone paid for an item.
  • Options
    I just hate my Pottery Barn registry in general. Things don't get marked off (just one example: one guest ordered three things online, all shipped at the same time, but only two were marked off, so I got 3 of the one unmarked item at my shower), items aren't grouped into categories like they are everywhere else, and things go in and out of stock sometimes within the same day. I even had crib bumpers added to my registry which I didn't think was possible because they don't sell them there! Not to mention, other things that were added that only show up on the manage your registry page - saying that I bought them myself. Everyone I've ever talked to in their customer service department has either been super flaky, downright weird, or unresponsive. If I could do it over, I wouldn't have registered there. They also have the most expensive shipping rates I've ever seen from any online store. I mean, $21 to ship anything that falls in the $125-$200 range? I'm not talking furniture items either - just regular sheets or dishes, etc. That's insane.

With all that said, I really wish all stores would transition to those purchase/return stickers so that no receipts are needed and the store always knows when and how much someone paid for an item.
    Sounds like some sort of glitch caused merchandise from Pottery Barn Kids to cross over to your registry.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    On the Pottery Barn topic, I hate that they no longer show reviews on their website.  Pretty sure it's because their products were getting poor reviews.  I know the last couple things I checked (found reviews cached on google) weren't too good and I didn't buy.  No other reason that I can think why a company would not allow reviews anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards