Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Italian Wedding Traditions & Customs

I just wanted to share a blog post on my events blog, Wediquette, about Italian Traditions & Customs involved in a wedding celebration. With so much historical and symbolic meaning, the Italian wedding is steeped in tradition and carries with it many components of weddings that we see around the world today. This post is part of a series of posts I'm writing called Weddings Across the Board, and each post has a corresponding Pinterest Board (see Wediquette on Pinterest) just for fun. Check out the post and leave comments if there's anything you've seen that I forgot! Then browse around and feel free to tell your friends about it! There are posts about bathroom baskets, what to do first when you get engaged, making a seating chart, sending invitations and more! http://bigdaythewediquetteway.blogspot.com/2014/02/weddings-across-board-italian-wedding.html

Re: Italian Wedding Traditions & Customs

• You're not supposed to advertise your blog space here.

Anniversary
  • lilybet13 said:
    When people post looking for X wedding traditions, my general advice is to ask the members of their family who come from X about traditions they might incorporate into their weddings. There is not much point, IMHO, in incorporating a tradition from X if it has no meaning for the X family. Worst case scenario, they've never even heard of it before because it comes from a different region or is a newer tradition. No one will know family traditions better than the family themselves, and this includes the cultural traditions to which they adhere.
    So. Kinda off topic time. We did the German wedding cup at our wedding (We are both of German descent) . I saw it on 4 weddings and thought it was cute (famous last words, right?) H liked the idea of it, and we figure we'll drink out of it every year on our anniversary, blah blah blah. No one in my family did it (different part of Germany) and as far as I knew, no one from his family did it. We did it during dinner. Afterwards, about 2 or 3 of his Aunts told us how wonderful it was to see us do it, because they did it at their wedding years ago. So, I'm glad we did it in the end.

Anniversary
  • lilybet13 said:

When people post looking for X wedding traditions, my general advice is to ask the members of their family who come from X about traditions they might incorporate into their weddings. There is not much point, IMHO, in incorporating a tradition from X if it has no meaning for the X family. Worst case scenario, they've never even heard of it before because it comes from a different region or is a newer tradition. No one will know family traditions better than the family themselves, and this includes the cultural traditions to which they adhere.
    I disagree. Traditions have to start somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards