South Carolina-Charleston
Options

Storybook Barn in Summerville

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about this venue? I cannot find any pictures of it online but they have a pretty extensive website claiming to be new and run by an Australian event planner. I have not seen any pictures from any weddings that actually took place there, but there are a couple good reviews on her site.

Anyone heard of Julie Murphy? She is the one in charge of everything at Storybook which I think is in Jedburg. Thoughts local ladies?

Re: Storybook Barn in Summerville

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_storybook-barn-in-summerville?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:600Discussion:6a134a31-9ee4-44ca-a5a2-2a6638286cc6Post:426552c7-a9d0-4f25-bcda-d99e6f1afd3b">Storybook Barn in Summerville</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone heard anything good or bad about this venue? I cannot find any pictures of it online but they have a pretty extensive website claiming to be new and run by an Australian event planner. I have not seen any pictures from any weddings that actually took place there, but there are a couple good reviews on her site. Anyone heard of Julie Murphy? She is the one in charge of everything at Storybook which I think is in Jedburg. Thoughts local ladies?
    Posted by jenabride[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Actually figured this one out on my own.. apparently this woman put pictures of Medicine Wind Farms on her website and basically made it seem like it was called Storybook Barn.  Even had a diagram of the venue on there but then said I would have to contact the Medicine Wind owners to get the information.  Kinda strange.  

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_storybook-barn-in-summerville?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:600Discussion:6a134a31-9ee4-44ca-a5a2-2a6638286cc6Post:ad2cd761-81a6-4e1c-9e21-9ed457d16868">Re: Storybook Barn in Summerville</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Storybook Barn in Summerville : Actually figured this one out on my own.. apparently this woman put pictures of Medicine Wind Farms on her website and basically made it seem like it was called Storybook Barn.  Even had a diagram of the venue on there but then said I would have to contact the Medicine Wind owners to get the information.  Kinda strange.  
    Posted by jenabride[/QUOTE]

<div>That's really strange! The venue looks lovely though :)</div><div>
    </div><div>Any success?</div>
  • Options
    Very strange! 

But yes Medicine Wind was beautiful!  Just ended up going with a different venue.  I would definitely recommend brides to view it if they are having a less than 200 people wedding!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_storybook-barn-in-summerville?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:600Discussion:6a134a31-9ee4-44ca-a5a2-2a6638286cc6Post:e4bb95f8-fb9f-4085-8921-5339a48e2bed">Re: Storybook Barn in Summerville</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Storybook Barn in Summerville : That's really strange! The venue looks lovely though :) Any success?
    Posted by lizlovescupcakes[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_storybook-barn-in-summerville?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:600Discussion:6a134a31-9ee4-44ca-a5a2-2a6638286cc6Post:426552c7-a9d0-4f25-bcda-d99e6f1afd3b">Storybook Barn in Summerville</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone heard anything good or bad about this venue? I cannot find any pictures of it online but they have a pretty extensive website claiming to be new and run by an Australian event planner. I have not seen any pictures from any weddings that actually took place there, but there are a couple good reviews on her site. Anyone heard of Julie Murphy? She is the one in charge of everything at Storybook which I think is in Jedburg. Thoughts local ladies?
    Okay, where to start. First off, do not do business with storybook barn or Julie Murphy. She says she "aquired 46 acres" That is a complete lie!! She has NO affilation with the Venue. TYhe pictures on her website are fakes!! I signed an agreemtn for her to do my daughter;s wedding and it has been a nightmare. She stole my money!! The Owners of Medicine Wind Farms will rent you the space and it is BEAUTIFUL!! I am still going to have my wedding here but a word of caution when dealing anyhitng to do with story book barn or Julie Murphy...she is a fake and a con-artist.!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_storybook-barn-in-summerville?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:600Discussion:6a134a31-9ee4-44ca-a5a2-2a6638286cc6Post:81af43cc-3352-4358-aa89-9554e7008ff3">Re: Storybook Barn in Summerville</a>:
    [QUOTE]Very strange!  But yes Medicine Wind was beautiful!  Just ended up going with a different venue.  I would definitely recommend brides to view it if they are having a less than 200 people wedding! In Response to Re: Storybook Barn in Summerville :
    Okay, where to start. First off, do not do business with storybook barn or Julie Murphy. She says she "aquired 46 acres" That is a complete lie!! She has NO affilation with the Venue. TYhe pictures on her website are fakes!! I signed an agreemtn for her to do my daughter;s wedding and it has been a nightmare. She stole my money!! The Owners of Medicine Wind Farms will rent you the space and it is BEAUTIFUL!! I am still going to have my wedding here but a word of caution when dealing anyhitng to do with story book barn or Julie Murphy...she is a fake and a con-artist.!!
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Okay, where to start. First off, Beware!! Do not do business with storybook barn or Julie Murphy. She says she "acquired 46 acres" That is a complete lie!! She has NO affiliation with the Venue. The pictures on her website are fakes!! I signed an agreement for her to do my daughter;s wedding and it has been a nightmare. She stole my money!! The Owners of Medicine Wind Farms will rent you the space and it is BEAUTIFUL!! I am still going to have my wedding here but a word of caution when dealing anything to do with story book barn or Julie Murphy...she is a fake, a thief and a conartist.!!
  • Options
    Hi Jena, my name is Jennifer Martin and I am the owner of Medicine Wind. We are not affiliated with Storybook barn. We do offer the venue for weddings and other events. If you are interested please call me at 8432008671. I would be happy to talk with you about the property and any other questions you may have.
  • Options
    kellyshave123kellyshave123 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2014
    In Response to Storybook Barn in Summerville: Medicine Wind Farms owners, Dale and Jennifer Martin are very dishonest people!! I would not recomend them for ANY event!!
    Has anyone heard anything good or bad about this venue? I cannot find any pictures of it online but they have a pretty extensive website claiming to be new and run by an Australian event planner. I have not seen any pictures from any weddings that actually took place there, but there are a couple good reviews on her site. Anyone heard of Julie Murphy? She is the one in charge of everything at Storybook which I think is in Jedburg. Thoughts local ladies?
    Posted by jenabride
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I found out Julie Murphy is pretending to own this farm and is stealing money from brides!! Do not give her any money..Call the owners of Medicine Wind Farms diectlky for a beauitful wedding venue.
  • Options
    While I was traveling in Guatemala in April of this year, I received a  message from a woman named Kelly Shave, who had gotten my contact information off of Julie Murphy’s website.  She had been swindled by this woman and was upset that I had any affiliation with her. I was really confused at first, because I couldn’t recall ever having heard of this woman in my life, NOR, have I ever worked with her on a wedding or even photographed a wedding in South Carolina before.  I then did some investigating and checked out this woman’s website.  Not only has she been using my images without my permission all over her website, but she has written blogs claiming that we have worked together a lot, even on international weddings, and has taken credit for the planning and creation of the weddings in these photos.  These are egregiously false claims on her part and after hearing from multiple women who have been conned by this woman, I immediately contacted my lawyer and had them send over a cease and desist letter to both Julie Murphy and her website domain host, GoDaddy.  We never received any response from Julie directly, but her website was down shortly after that, which I assume was due to GoDaddy. I do not want to have ANY association with her or her business practices.  I am a well-respected business owner of 12 years out here in Los Angeles and I am horrified and appalled that this has been going on and for many years. My wedding photos she has been claiming are hers were photographed back in 2009 and for all I know she could have been using my name in association with her business since that time unbeknownst to me.

Laure Greer, Photgrapher
  • Options

I didn't end up booking here, thankfully, but I had a very similar sketchy experience with her. She literally sent me 14 emails within an hour one day and 12 within an hour another day. Most of which were pictures or notes she forgot to say in the previous email. None of the pictures  on the website (and most in the emails she sent me) are from the space. Not one. Also, she asked my cousin via text to tell me that the price went up by $1,000 for the day. Seriously....? Not only did she drastically increase the price, but she asked someone else to relay the message to me...via text! It's not surprising to me that this happened for you, although I'm very sorry that it did! To future bride, definitely stay away. And you should really repost this in the local board as well.

Dawn Mccreary

• Options
    This criminal, Julie Murphy, took us for a ride. Even after we discovered she was dishonest and were given her assurance she would refund us our money, she refused. She stated she had already ordered linens and decor which was a lie because we never met with her to discuss those. She claimed we signed a contract which was another lie because the original contract was incorrect. My daughter refused to sign it until it was corrected; it never was. We are out $2000 and have turned her over to small claims court. She belongs behind bars with the rest of the dirtbags. I'm sure she has left the country. Australia can have her... good riddance to bad rubbish!
  • Options
    The owners of Medicine Wind Farms also took us for a very expensive ride!! After Julie Murphy stole our deposit, an employee of Jennifer and Dale Martin/owners of Medicine wind Farms, they also charged us double even though we had already paid and had a signed contract for deposits and cleaning...they still kept our security money AND did not make good on ANY of the promises. They were VERY UNPROFESSIONAL, DISHONEST PEOPLE!! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THEM FOR ANY EVENT!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards