Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Who do you invite to an engagement party?

My parents want to give FI and me an engagement party in August, so I need to come up with a guest list. Obviously I know that you shouldn't invite anyone to the engagement party that isn't invited to the wedding, but who DOES get invited? Just wedding party? Family? Friends? Everyone?
Anniversary

Re: Who do you invite to an engagement party?

• Options
    The guest list is often driven by the budget for the party and the size of the venue.  That said, you don't want it to be a mini-wedding either.  Start by listing the people who are closest to you, along with their SOs.  The people who you are thinking about for the bridal party would be on that list as well.  From there, you just have to decide who, among family and friends, you want to toast the occasion with.  We are very close with our officiant, so he and his wife are always included. The two we made (our daughter and her now husband; our son and his fiancé) were for the bride and groom, so we gave preference to their friends and co-workers and only had a few of our friends invited.  I know some MOBs/FOBs feel otherwise, so it's also a good time to clear that up.
    When making a list, it is much easier to include every name and then make cuts as needed.
    Good luck with everything.
  • Options
    You can invite anyone you want as long as you also invite them to the wedding. If it were me, I would invite my closest friends and immediate family members. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    As I'm making my guest list, I've run into another dilemma. I'm planning on inviting mine and FI's immediate family, which consists of my parents, his parents, and his brother, and also inviting our wedding party and close family friends. Here's where the dilemma comes in. I'm really close with 2-3 of my cousins and their SOs, and consider them friends. I want to invite these couples, but I don't want to invite their parents (my aunts and uncles). Mostly because this is going to be an adult event with drinking and being honest, that side of my family is kind of a buzz kill. Also, my mom doesn't want certain aunts and uncles there because they aren't her favorite people (long story). Another problem, is that 2 of my cousins I'm close to have a younger sister that I probably wouldn't invite because she's 15. Is it totally rude to A) invite a few hand-selected cousins that I consider close friends, and B) not invite their parents and/or siblings? 
    Anniversary

• Options
    This is me, but I would invite for both sides immediate family members, wedding party members, and anyone else I feel really, really close to, together with their SOs. If you'd like to invite anyone (and their SOs) beyond that, it's your call as long as it works for you space and budget-wise and as long as you invite them (and their SOs) to the wedding.
  • Options
    For ours in September, the room we are using had a max of 75 people. Our bridal party is 16 already, plus any significant others so my fiance and I are not inviting any other friends, but this was our choice. My parents are inviting family & close friends and my fiance's parents are only inviting family, which was their choice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lynze425 said:
    As I'm making my guest list, I've run into another dilemma. I'm planning on inviting mine and FI's immediate family, which consists of my parents, his parents, and his brother, and also inviting our wedding party and close family friends. Here's where the dilemma comes in. I'm really close with 2-3 of my cousins and their SOs, and consider them friends. I want to invite these couples, but I don't want to invite their parents (my aunts and uncles). Mostly because this is going to be an adult event with drinking and being honest, that side of my family is kind of a buzz kill. Also, my mom doesn't want certain aunts and uncles there because they aren't her favorite people (long story). Another problem, is that 2 of my cousins I'm close to have a younger sister that I probably wouldn't invite because she's 15. Is it totally rude to A) invite a few hand-selected cousins that I consider close friends, and B) not invite their parents and/or siblings? 
    Just make it clear you are having an "adults only" party and that takes care of your younger cousin.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards