Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Photographer in the Family

A member of my family is a professional wedding photographer and casually mentioned doing our photos for us. I'm just looking for any advice on how to bring up the topic again if anyone has any experience.

Re: Photographer in the Family

• Options
    KLee17 said:
    A member of my family is a professional wedding photographer and casually mentioned doing our photos for us. I'm just looking for any advice on how to bring up the topic again if anyone has any experience.
    I wouldn't bother.  Your friends and family should not work at your wedding.....they should be able to enjoy it!  Also, I've seen way too many instances where hiring family or friends brings more trouble than they thought.  Spend the money and hire an unrelated photographer.
  • Options
    Ditto what Joan said. I would hire someone else, it is difficult working with family or friends if problems arise. If they want to do it as a gift they will approach you again with a contract - but I would never shoot a friend or family member's wedding as the primary photog. I do however take photos as a guest and give them to the B&G as an additional present after the wedding.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options

First I would like to say that it's much better to be angry with a stranger, rather than family member, if the pictures aren't everything you had hoped for but since your post isn't asking advice on whether or not to use them, I won't go into that.

In response to what you are needing help with: I would say something along the lines of "We're starting to look for (meet with) vendors and I am (we are) wondering how much it would be to hire you as our photographer." Many people assume that because it's family it will be free but that's not always the case. If you ask how much it will be that gives them the opportunity up front to tell you that they will do it for free or at a discounted rate (or that they'd rather not do it at all), and you can go from there.

It's always weird having a contract with family members but sign a contract, especially if you are paying! Even if it's free, a contract would ensure that you fully understand what you're getting and are both on the same page with the date, times, and final product. For a nonpayment contract it could state $0, free of charge, or donated.

• Options
    Is this someone you would normally be planning on inviting to your wedding as a guest? If yes, then I wouldn't ask them to be my photographer. The reason is that I would be concerned that they would get distracted by all the family you only see at weddings & possibly miss some good photo ops. My SIL is a professional photographer & she is amazing, but we didn't want her to work. She had a studio and had one of her associates do our photos. Now she did bring her camera to the reception & got lots of fun photos at the reception that she gave to us in addition to the photos the photographer took. But it was nice because she was taking pictures as a guest would of family & friends and there was no pressure on her. But I would talk to your family member and see if they can provide you with any recommendations for other photographers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards