Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress concerns need tips!

Hi! My wedding is in 3 weeks. My dress is a VERY fitted silhouette. My fiancé and I learned a rumba and a swing dance for the reception. When I took my dress into the fitting it was VERY tight on my ribs. She said it has to be sinse its strapless. I guess i'd just like to see if I can lose an inch to get some more mobility. Even if I had more time, I'm already underweight and I'd feel more comfortable with a temporary solution. Would body wraps be an option? Do those work? Any other suggestions? Right now I can sit in it, but it's not comfortable to at all. I want to be able to move, but I also want the dress to be fitted. Is it possible to have both?

Re: Dress concerns need tips!

• So my dress is also strapless deal that's corseted with massive boning all the way around the torso; it is pretty much physically impossible for me to slouch in it.

However, my seamstress made sure I could move and sit with realtive ease in my dress. I'd be asking the seamstress if there's an option to let the dress out just 1/2 - 1 inch so you can breathe better (if my dress ended up too tight, my seamstresses' plan was to take a couple of the bones out in the back of the dress for a bit more room and flexibility). It'll depend on your dress' structure though.

You don't want to feel incredibly uncomfortable on your wedding, and heaven forbid it's a scorching day and you start sweating in a too-tight dress - blech.

• Both myself and one of my co-writers reviewed those wraps and they didn't work on either of us. I think they are kinda bunk, mainly it's just that you drink like 2 gallons of water a day. ;)  I highly recommend googling a few quick fitness techniques to lose or tone your exact area in however long you have to do it. Use exact SEO for what you need "Lose one inch in torso in 2 weeks" or whatever. Good luck and I hope it works out. How much fun would it be to do a swing dance. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not going to lie, OP. If you are already underweight, your dress is tight because you bones exist. No wrap, ill-advised diet, or excersize will shave down bone. In fact, torso excersizes will build up muscle and increase size.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Both myself and one of my co-writers reviewed those wraps and they didn't work on either of us. I think they are kinda bunk, mainly it's just that you drink like 2 gallons of water a day. ;)  I highly recommend googling a few quick fitness techniques to lose or tone your exact area in however long you have to do it. Use exact SEO for what you need "Lose one inch in torso in 2 weeks" or whatever. Good luck and I hope it works out. How much fun would it be to do a swing dance. :)
    1st, you cannot actually target areas where you want to loose weight.    Sure, you might want to loose weight from your belly and choose to do crunches and what not, but there is no guarantee the weight will actually come off of your belly first.  It might come of of your hips or your thighs.  

2nd, if you are already underweight DO NOT attempt any diets or drastic fitness routines w/o consulting a physician.  You do not want to risk serious health issues just for the sake of a dance.  Plus, as a PP mentioned, no amount of weight loss will give you more room in the rib area if you don't even have any fat in that area to begin with.  You can't physically make your ribs any smaller than what they naturally are.

3rd, it sounds like the style of dress you ordered is wrong for the style of dance you want to do.  Since it's too lat to order another dress, and that would just be foolish IMO anyways, I'd either consider buying a ballroom dance costume appropriate for the movements of the Rhumba and Swing dances you learned and changing into it for the dances, or talk to your instructor and learn a different style of dance that you can do in your wedding dress.

4th, if your dress is so tight that sitting is uncomfortable, then it sounds like you ordered the wrong size dress, or else the alterations were done improperly.  I have worn very fitted bodices and corsets tied very tightly, and I was never unable to breathe from my diaphragm nor was my clothing ever too tight that sitting was uncomfortable.

5th, JIC:
    Hi! My wedding is in 3 weeks. My dress is a VERY fitted silhouette. My fiancé and I learned a rumba and a swing dance for the reception. When I took my dress into the fitting it was VERY tight on my ribs. She said it has to be sinse its strapless. I guess i'd just like to see if I can lose an inch to get some more mobility. Even if I had more time, I'm already underweight and I'd feel more comfortable with a temporary solution. Would body wraps be an option? Do those work? Any other suggestions? Right now I can sit in it, but it's not comfortable to at all. I want to be able to move, but I also want the dress to be fitted. Is it possible to have both?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    i'd get it let out a bit, like a 1/2 inch. My dress was a fit and flare and while I could put it on, it felt very snug in my hip area. I could sit but it wasnt comfy. I had them take out a 1/2 inch and it made a HUGE difference. It was so much more comfortable!
  • missnc77missnc77 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    You alter the dress to fit you, you don't alter yourself to fit the dress. If you're underweight, why would you lose more weight? Fuck that shit. Your health lasts forever, your wedding dress is for one night. Don't be unhealthy - have her take it out a little.
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2014
    The same thing happened to me; my dress was super snug when it was fitted. I was panicked when the lady said it would have to be that tight to stay up (I'm small too), especially since it started on the big side. I could sit down but it wasn't comfortable. I went out and got some spanx but they didn't help. Here's what we did... Took out some of the boning but otherwise left the bodice snug. Many brides on here told me that the gown would stretch as I wore it, and that's exactly what happened. By the ceremony it was fine and I wasn't thinking about the gown anymore. And I didn't tug or pull it up all night. If it is manageable, I'd probably leave it as is. Good luck and congratulations!
  • I would consider changing into a pretty white dress for the dances and then putting your wedding gown on.  Wedding gowns are not designed for that kind of movement involved in rumba or swing dancing (I do both).  BUT, if your dress is uncomfortable just SITTING, that is a problem.  Have a little let out and enjoy your wedding day!
  • missnc77 said:

You alter the dress to fit you, you don't alter yourself to fit the dress. If you're underweight, why would you lose more weight? Fuck that shit. Your health lasts forever, your wedding dress is for one night. Don't be unhealthy - have her take it out a little.

This times a bazillion. Alter your dress, change your dance plans - don't put your health at risk.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards