Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake Knife and Server Set...

So I'm shopping around for a set to do our cake cutting and I really don't like the "wedding" sets you find at Michael's, WalMart etc. I want to purchase a nice silver-plated vintage set. However, there are many more beautiful options for just the server than for the knife and server sets. How important is it to have both? Would it be possible to just use the side of the server to cut the cake? Is this something that matters? Has anyone done this?

Re: Cake Knife and Server Set...

• H and I used a normal kitchen knife that our venue had to cut our cake.

I think these really fancy cake cutting sets are a waste of money.  If you just want to buy a server and use it to cut your cake you certainly can.  Cake is soft so even a butter knife can easily cut a cake so I don't see why a server can't as well.

• Thanks for your response, Maggie. I agree with you that those sets are just a ploy to make more money, and besides they are cheap and I could care less if our names and date are engraved on them, etc.
    But I did end up finding a beautiful vintage set for a good price that I won't be engraving and maybe we can use it now and then in the future for birthday cakes and pies, etc.
    But you're absolutely right that a regular knife would work just as well!
  • We used whatever the venue handed us. FREE

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • A friend of mine gave us her set from when she got married.  If I didn't have that, I would just use a regular knife.  Like everyone else has said, I believe they are a waste of money.  Before she gave it to us, I kept looking at them online and thought "why am I going to waste my money on this to use for one night and never use it again".  So, I say go with a regular knife...one less thing you have to spend money on :o)

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think the whole buying a cake knife and server set thing is a complete waste of money. 

We'll probably use the same ol' cake server FI's mom got us years ago. 
  • I bought a set from Ebay that was a pattern I liked (no engraving, no bling, no hearts etc.).  It was about $45 dollars and a splurge...  I hope that I can reuse it in the future since it doesn't scream wedding (or whisper wedding for that matter). 
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Lord. The one & only "disagreement" my mother & I have had so far during wedding planning was about the damn cake knife. I don't see the point. At all. Gimme a butter knife and let's call it a day. She was appalled. It's now become an ongoing joke in our family and I'm a little afraid to see the tacky monstrosity she's likely to unveil at dinner.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We just bought a set online. We originally weren't going to do anything, just use what the venue had, but when talking to our cake person (who is also a good friend of ours that works with my FH) said for the look aesthetically for the table we would probably like it (I am a stickler for small touches). And she also suggested getting one that is not a plastic handle (she had one and it broke). So I looked online and put out a feeler on fb asking friends for a site....and I ended up finding one for 30, plus engraving and my grandmother said she was buying it for us. Which was sweet. It shipped yesterday so I am looking forward to it!
  • We used whatever the caterer had.  You can barely see any part of the knife/server in the cake cutting pictures.  If you really want to buy something pretty and think you'll use it again, go for it.  I couldn't see ourselves ever using something like this again, so we didn't bother buying a set.
  • I bought our set used for $5.  I tied a ribbon on them.  Done.  
    I probably wouldn't have even bought it, but I was buying table linens from the couple and they had other random items for sale as well.  
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just order the set that matches your everyday silverware set!  That way you'll actually USE it down the road!  It's great to pull ours out at birthdays and such and not think of it as a wasted expense.  Replacement's Limited is where we got it from if you can't find it in-store otherwise we just googled it through Oneida...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards