Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Disney World + honeymoon = ?

We're throwing around the idea of going to Disney World. I went at 14 and I enjoyed it, but I can't wrap my brain around going as an adult... for my honeymoon. I know it's a top honeymoon location, but all I see our tons of kids when I imagine it. Has anybody gone for their honeymoon and really enjoyed it? Is anybody going and have some recommendations?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Disney World + honeymoon = ?

• Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014

kimi0119 said:
    We're throwing around the idea of going to Disney World. I went at 14 and I enjoyed it, but I can't wrap my brain around going as an adult... for my honeymoon. I know it's a top honeymoon location, but all I see our tons of kids when I imagine it. Has anybody gone for their honeymoon and really enjoyed it? Is anybody going and have some recommendations?
    Ummm, did you see the post just a couple posts down?

• Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    We went and had a wonderful time.  There are some amazing restaurants there.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Would never do that.
  • Options

My mom's a travel agent and she always tells people- don't base your vacations on what other people like. Base it on what YOU like.

I think Disney is pure hell. It's overpriced, overcrowded, long lines, whiney children, I don't like rides or amusement parks in general. So I'd never go there for any vacation. But that doesn't help you if that's what you enjoy. My trips might sound just as bad to you. It's ok once you decide on a place to ask for specific recommendations in that place, but you should really be chosing the location on your own accord to what suits you.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

My mom's a travel agent and she always tells people- don't base your vacations on what other people like. Base it on what YOU like.

I think Disney is pure hell. It's overpriced, overcrowded, long lines, whiney children, I don't like rides or amusement parks in general. So I'd never go there for any vacation. But that doesn't help you if that's what you enjoy. My trips might sound just as bad to you. It's ok once you decide on a place to ask for specific recommendations in that place, but you should really be chosing the location on your own accord to what suits you.

This 100%.  There is no right or wrong when choosing a location for your HM.  Keep in mind that a HM is just another vacation.  People tend to make the idea of a HM bigger then what it really is. You and your FI should just pick a place that you both want to go to and have a blast.  Don't worry if it doesn't fit into the honeymoon mold that has been created by the wedding industry.

• Options
    Good points. I really have no idea where to go though. I like the idea of a little sight-seeing, some relaxation, some fun. We are also considering San Francisco + Sonoma/Napa Valley.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just came home from our Disney World honeymoon. We had a blast. But we love that kind of stuff. We had great dinners, saw shows and if you takd advantage of making reservations and using your fast pass you wait on very few lines.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Options

We're going in September and I can't wait.  People were confused at first but when I explained they all get it.

FI is not a beach person so that rules out most tropical destinations, and I nixed anything that would have been an 8+ hour plane ride... We both LOVE Disney and haven't been since we were teenagers.  We wanted one all out trip before kids come.

How we are doing it....

We're doing both Disney and Universal in one trip, a week+.  We're staying at our top choice resort Animal Kingdom Lodge with a Safari room.  With the reservation we added on the delux dining plan so we'll be trying all the nice restauraunts we would never pay out of pocket for.  We've got six days planned for disney so this includes alot of time to lay by a pool or explore or take long meals, no need to rush this trip.  We also love Halloween so we scheduled the trip to include Mickey's Halloween Party and Universal's Horror Nights, plus Epoct's Food and Wine festival.  The package also came with Memory Maker so we don't have to fret about getting alot of pictures, we'll get all of Disney's pictures included.  We're just going to go and have an amazing time!!!

• Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

We're going in September and I can't wait.  People were confused at first but when I explained they all get it.

FI is not a beach person so that rules out most tropical destinations, and I nixed anything that would have been an 8+ hour plane ride... We both LOVE Disney and haven't been since we were teenagers.  We wanted one all out trip before kids come.

How we are doing it....

We're doing both Disney and Universal in one trip, a week+.  We're staying at our top choice resort Animal Kingdom Lodge with a Safari room.  With the reservation we added on the delux dining plan so we'll be trying all the nice restauraunts we would never pay out of pocket for.  We've got six days planned for disney so this includes alot of time to lay by a pool or explore or take long meals, no need to rush this trip.  We also love Halloween so we scheduled the trip to include Mickey's Halloween Party and Universal's Horror Nights, plus Epoct's Food and Wine festival.  The package also came with Memory Maker so we don't have to fret about getting alot of pictures, we'll get all of Disney's pictures included.  We're just going to go and have an amazing time!!!

That is awesome.  We didn't know about it so it was a very happy surprise for us on our honeymoon.  We ended up doing a second day at Epcot because of it instead of going to Hollywood Studios.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We've narrowed it down to Disneyworld or San Fran/Sonoma Valley. I find myself leaning towards San Fran because it sounds less hectic, but then I think of the fun we might have in Disneyworld.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I live a couple of hours from Disney, have annual passes, and a lot.  We aren't going for our honeymoon simply because we go ALL THE TIME  lol :)  But there are some absolutely beautiful and very romantic hotels and restaurants.  I personally love theme parks so I really enjoy the parks too.   Summer is a little hectic because it is hot and there are tons of people there...but if you go during an off peak time it's less crowded and cooler.  
  • Options
    We're planning on Disney for our honeymoon. We're not beach people, and our other choice was Vegas which I've been 100 times. We've both only been to Disney once is we thought it be fun. We're going to stay at a Disney resort and just take full advantage of what Disney has to offer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
  • Options
    My FI and I aren't going to Disney for our honeymoon but we went a few years ago together and had a blast. There are more adult things to do there than most realize. I also like your SF/Napa Valley idea- sounds great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards