Registry and Gift Forum

Gifts for parents

I have been really stressing out about gifts for our parents and I'm hoping for some help! My parents have paid for almost the entire wedding as well as hosting it on their farm, hosting the rehearsal dinner and gift opening brunch, and helping me with a ton of projects over the last year. His parents are buying all of the alcohol for our open bar. I would like to get them something that they will really love, budget is a slight concern but I will spend whatever is needed to get them the right gift!
My parents don't play golf, drink, go to fancy restaurants or smoke. My mom doesn't wear jewellery, my dad doesn't wear cufflinks or watches, they don't like designer things like clothes or purses, they don't watch much TV or many movies. My dad is a farmer and loves everything farm related but basically has everything, my mom loves craft things but again has basically everything. I don't really want to get them a picture or album because we will be doing that after the wedding when we get the pictures back.
His parents don't play golf, his mom doesn't drink and his dad only really drinks beer, neither of them smoke. They have no interest in fancy restaurants, jewellery, watches, etc. His mom loves gardening but prefers to do things old school rather than with new gadgets, his dad likes cars but doesn't have a specific favorite car or make. Again, don't really want to go with the picture route.
I would like to spend more on my parents since they have done so much for us. Please help!!!

Re: Gifts for parents

• Might sound weird but a little getaway trip for your parents?
  • Perhaps you could take each of them out for a nice dinner after the wedding? It sounds like these are people who prize experiences over objects, so focus on that.
  • I had a really hard time coming up with gift ideas for our parents too, until I saw these plates on Etsy!  My fiancé and I wrote letters to our parents, scanned them, and then the shop owner for CustomSepia (who was WONDERFUL to work with) transferred them to two beautiful plates!  They look amazing!
  • As a former MOB, the best gift I could ever get was when my daughter hugged me and said, "Thank you, Mom and Dad, it was perfect!"  Oh, yeah, then she gave me a box of See's Truffles!
    I think gifts are over rated - unless they are chocolate!

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    As a former MOB, the best gift I could ever get was when my daughter hugged me and said, "Thank you, Mom and Dad, it was perfect!"  Oh, yeah, then she gave me a box of See's Truffles!
    I think gifts are over rated - unless they are chocolate!

This.  My parents told me that if I got them a present they would be mad at me.  My parents never want us to be spending money on them, all they really want is a genuine thank you and a big hug.

I also agree that gifts are over rated.  I get getting presents for your wedding party since they are part of the actual wedding, but your parents are just guests at your wedding so I just don't get it.

• We are planning on taking my parents and his parents to a nice meal after all the wedding schnanigans are over with. I think they will enjoy quality time with us over a gift, for sure!

• Hmmmm, a tool or tool related gift for your Dad. Crafting suply(s) for your Mom. Plants or something for the garden.

I got my Mom two mailboxes to put in the garden. This is so she can put her gloves or spade down and not misplace them as easily.

Local hardware store gift card/ store credit.
    Good luck.
  • We got double picture frames for all three of our sets of parents - we'll put one of our engagement pictures in one side, and an IOU for a wedding picture in the other.

Our parents are also the type who have everything they "need" and don't want to see us spend a lot of money on them, especially in thanks for them helping us with money.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards