Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Which Side?

This may be a silly question but does it really matter which side of the altar the bride or groom stands on? Every wedding I've ever been to had the bride on the left and the groom on the right. If we wanted to switch it (honestly, this question is because I have a "better side" LoL) does it matter? If it makes any difference, we aren't getting married in a church and we don't have any desire for guests to be split up as bride vs groom sides either during the ceremony.

Re: Which Side?

• Options
    It's your day. If it's important to you, switch it. I think originally the tradition was that way so the groom could defend the bride with his sword? Something like that. Unnecessary in your wedding I assume.
  • Options
    I think it's flipped for Jewish ceremonies? Not completely sure though...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Definitely unnecessary! I think we'll leave the sword home for the day. Besides, FI is left-handed so he needs to stand on the opposite side to "defend me" anyways, LOL. That's funny - fun wedding fact of the day! 
  • Options
    I am standing on the right because I have a tattoo on my left arm i'm very proud of, and I was raised Jewish and the woman stands on the right. Even though i'm a different religion now I still prefer the aesthetic.
  • Options
    We did it that way purely because that's where we all ended up standing during rehearsal. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Yes, your wedding will be invalid if you stand on the wrong side.

Nah, stand wherever you want. Sword or no sword. Sit in his lap for all I care, hold hands and spin around in circles. This is one thing that truly doesn't matter.

• Options
    HAHA @lolo883 - when I joined this site I was clueless about so many of the topics & tried to learn quickly! Glad to know this one doesn't matter :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards