Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Officiant Help!

My wedding is on the 4th of July (next year, so I have time) and the church that we have picked out (and LOVE!) has gone through their pastors and their backup pastors, and they all are busy and won't do it (which is annoying, knowing that they won't just take a few hours out of their morning over a year in advance...) but I was wondering any officiant options or how to find a pastor. My parents are pretty sticky on using a pastor, so having a friend do it isn't really an option.. any ideas?

Re: Officiant Help!

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    OK, so you decided to have your wedding on an important national holiday, and now you are wondering why nobody wants to officiate?  Hm.....

If your wedding is a year away, you should be able to change the date so that one of the pastors can officiate.  Co-ordinate your ceremony FIRST, then do wedding planning.

(No way would I attend a wedding on July 4th.)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    MollyandDMollyandD member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    CMGragain said:
    (No way would I attend a wedding on July 4th.)
    For me, it would depend. If the wedding was over an hour away or was in the evening, I definitely wouldn't go, unless maybe I were very close to the bride or groom. I still probably wouldn't go if I had a family cook out or something going on with my friends. 

All I can offer for advice is to ask people you know from other churches to talk to their pastors. If the price is right, you may be able to hire a pastor that one of your friends knows. 

Be aware that you will get a lot of declines, and possibly even some people RSVPing "yes," but still not coming. 
  • Options

My wedding is on the 4th of July (next year, so I have time) and the church that we have picked out (and LOVE!) has gone through their pastors and their backup pastors, and they all are busy and won't do it (which is annoying, knowing that they won't just take a few hours out of their morning over a year in advance...) but I was wondering any officiant options or how to find a pastor. My parents are pretty sticky on using a pastor, so having a friend do it isn't really an option.. any ideas?
    1. I am always confused by people who "pick out" a church for their wedding. You don't attend this church? Why are you getting married in a church you do not attend?

2. Your attitude is very poor. "Which is annoying that they won't take a few hours out of their morning...."  Seriously?  You think THEY are being annoying b/c they won't officiate your wedding on an important national holiday?  And again, these are pastors at a church you do not even attend, right? So they should bend over backward for you why, exactly? 

3. Have you checked with your VIPs that this date works for them? 

Unfortunately, when you choose to get married on a holiday, you often run into complications. I guess you better start calling pastors of other churches to see if they can do it there (I don't know if churches allow other pastors to come in), find another church, or change your date. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    Why don't you consider forming a relationship with a church and a pastor, and then asking about your wedding?
  • Options
    izza2izza2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I have to agree. You chose to get married on a holiday - they have no obligation to take a few hours out of their time (and hours out of the day before for a rehearsall) to marry you. Being rude about the fact that they've declined for obvious reasons is a bit ridiculous.

I'd say keep looking in to alternate pastors. Call around, get suggestions from family/friends and other churches, and see if anyone may be available. Don't be surprised if you end up being forced to change your wedding date.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards