Wedding Party

parents gifts

If the parents are NOT financially helping with the wedding, do we still need to get them gifts?  My mom will probably not do much, if anything (it's my second wedding and she paid for pretty much everything for my first 10 years ago).  However, his parents have offered to do the rehearsal dinner.  Would we get them a gift, but not my mom?  It's not that I don't want to get my mom anything it's just that she's so darn picky.  99% of gifts ever given to her are never used or even taken out of the box.  In fact, she recently gave me back the mother's day gift, still in original box/wrapping, that I gave her a few years ago.  She knew I gave it to her, she just didn't want it and said so.   I thought about giving them all a framed photo after the wedding but is that too late?  My mom might actually put that out to display... maybe lol

Re: parents gifts

• What about heartfelt letters all around? If you're worried your mom especially wouldn't use a boxed gift, that might be a lovely gesture.
  • I think the photo is a lovely idea. Nothing says you (a) have to give them a gift at all or (b) have to give them a gift at the RD or at the wedding.

My parents very generously paid for our reception, and we made them a photo book (through Shutterfly, with a groupon) with the wedding photos, which we didn't get for a few weeks. They were thrilled to get the album, regardless of when they got it.

I also think heart-felt letters are a nice touch and would be appreciated.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I like the idea of heartfelt letters, especially since parent gifts are not required.  The framed photo also sounds lovely.

Would she accept a gift card to a store or restaurant she patronizes by way of a gift from you?
  • I can't believe she gave you back a gift. Seriously, that would be the absolute last gift I would ever buy her.
  • Jen4948 said:
    I like the idea of heartfelt letters, especially since parent gifts are not required.  The framed photo also sounds lovely.

Would she accept a gift card to a store or restaurant she patronizes by way of a gift from you?
    That's possible.  I hadn't thought of that!

I can't believe she gave you back a gift. Seriously, that would be the absolute last gift I would ever buy her.
    I know it sounds that way... but to me it's just my mom.  She didn't mean it to be rude, she's just very black and white.  She wasn't using it and she knew it was something that I could use so she gave it back. As far as I know she's never given anyone else back a gift.  She politely smiles and says thank you, and then stuffs them away never to be seen again (Unless I want it, then she'll give it to me eventually - not regifting per se but just as a "hey, I was cleaning out the closet...want this?)
  • My parents, and my FI parents both told us not to give them gifts. Mainly because they know money is tight for us. I feel bad though because my Mom is doing the majority of the financing for the wedding, and my Father & Step Mom are paying for the rehearsal dinner. My FI's parents are doing a super lot, but are still contributing. Our plan is do to photo albums or a nice framed photo after the wedding just to show we care. And give them all cards at the rehearsal dinner. It's the thought that counts so even the smallest thing will be appreciated :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker
  • My daughter and son-in-law gave me a hug, "Thank you for everything, Mom!" and a box of See's truffles.  What more could a MOB want?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We did gift certificates to a nice restaurant they like
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did embroidered handkerchiefs with heartfelt messages and then a gift certificate to my parents favorite restaurant since they paid for so much. I like the box of chocolates idea- we might do that for FI's parents. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards