Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Using married woman's first name

I'm sure this is answered somewhere on here, but I don't have it in me to dig through pages right now. Can someone please tell me whether the knot is correct in this advice?  It says to use this for a married couple on the outer envelope: Mr. John and Mrs. Samantha Holt.  I know I could address as Mr. and Mrs. John Holt, but I prefer to keep the woman's first name.  Is the knot right on this one?

Re: Using married woman's first name

• Options
    kns1988 said:
    I'm sure this is answered somewhere on here, but I don't have it in me to dig through pages right now. Can someone please tell me whether the knot is correct in this advice?  It says to use this for a married couple on the outer envelope: Mr. John and Mrs. Samantha Holt.  I know I could address as Mr. and Mrs. John Holt, but I prefer to keep the woman's first name.  Is the knot right on this one?

I disagree, but I'm very traditional.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    It is not really your decision how to address someone.  Traditional people prefer Mr. and Mrs. John Doe.  An alternate form is Ms. Jane Doe and Mr. John Doe.
    The women's movement was not meant to change etiquette.  Just to give women a choice.  Your enforcing your views on other people is no better than the old way, where everyone used the same form of address.
    The form you are suggesting is incorrect by anyone's rules.  Check Crane's or Emily Post.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    That is not the correct way to address a married couple. The man's first name is not supposed to be separated from his last name. I believe pp's gave you some ideas on how to address it with the woman's first name using Ms., but I wanted to caution you on using this. It may be best for you to find out how the people you are sending invitations to prefer to be addressed. Ms. and Mrs. aren't really as interchangeable as people like to believe they are. I'm a Mrs. and that's how I would expect to be addressed. Ms. to me implies I'm divorced or didn't take my husband's last name which isn't the case.
  • Options
    I agree with @tammym1001. If you call me Ms, then you don't know me and wasn't courteous enough to ask me what I want to be called.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    That is not the correct way to address a married couple. The man's first name is not supposed to be separated from his last name. I believe pp's gave you some ideas on how to address it with the woman's first name using Ms., but I wanted to caution you on using this. It may be best for you to find out how the people you are sending invitations to prefer to be addressed. Ms. and Mrs. aren't really as interchangeable as people like to believe they are. I'm a Mrs. and that's how I would expect to be addressed. Ms. to me implies I'm divorced or didn't take my husband's last name which isn't the case.
    Ms. has NEVER meant divorced!  NEVER!  It means female.  On the other hand, Mrs. Jane Doe is often used by divorced ladies, especially if they have children.
    As I have posted before, there is a difference between your name and your formal title.  My NAME is Jane Doe.  My title is Mrs. John Doe.  I prefer that mail is addressed to me using my formal title.
    In Britain, Kate Windsor is addressed as H.R.H. The Duchess of Cambridge.  She did not lose her name when she married, but no one would dream of addressing her as Kate Windsor!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I think you should address your invites according to how your guests like to be addressed.  But you shouldn't address them how you think women should be addressed.

For example, when H and I get an invite I don't mind if it is addressed Mr. and Mrs. LastName but I would not be happy if I received an invite, to say a bridal shower, addressed Mrs. H's FirstName LastName.  I know that may be the "correct" or "traditional" way but to address me with my H's full name is a bit ridiculous to me and would irritate me.

So in the end, address things according to how people like being addressed.  If you don't know then going with the "traditional" wording would be the best course of action, unless of course, you want to ask each guest what they prefer.

• Options
    CMGragain said:
    Ms. has NEVER meant divorced!  NEVER!  It means female.  On the other hand, Mrs. Jane Doe is often used by divorced ladies, especially if they have children.
    As I have posted before, there is a difference between your name and your formal title.  My NAME is Jane Doe.  My title is Mrs. John Doe.  I prefer that mail is addressed to me using my formal title.
    In Britain, Kate Windsor is addressed as H.R.H. The Duchess of Cambridge.  She did not lose her name when she married, but no one would dream of addressing her as Kate Windsor!
    That's good to know. I don't know any divorced women who still use Mrs. so that's why I've always thought of Ms. as for divorced women. That is what they all go by.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. Although I am a feminist and I would prefer that my first name be used, enforcing my views on others wasn't the intention of this post. I was updating my guest list spreadsheet and it felt awkward for me to write Mr. and Mrs. HisFirstName LastName for my cousin when I've never met her husband. I was looking for a way to include her first name on the invitation, too. 
  • Options

This is probably totally against etiquette or grammar rules or something but I prefer this way:

Mr. & Mrs. John and Samantha Holt

• Options

This is probably totally against etiquette or grammar rules or something but I prefer this way:

Yes, it is incorrect.  You should never separate the man's first and last name.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

Yes, it is incorrect.  You should never separate the man's first and last name.
    Why not? Why can't the man's name be separated and the woman's name can? Is the man's name more important than the woman's name? I did this for my invitations. (Mr. & Mrs. John and Jane Smith). If I were addressed as Mrs. John Smith I'd be super irritated.
  • Options
    @crazycatlady3 I did mine that way too, because that's the way I liked it and the way I prefer to be addressed.  I guess I just don't care if it's "correct" or not.  Who will even know or notice the difference?  I'm sure I've broken most of the "rules" discussed on the boards and I'm OK with that! :)
  • Options
    @crazycatlady3 I did mine that way too, because that's the way I liked it and the way I prefer to be addressed.  I guess I just don't care if it's "correct" or not.  Who will even know or notice the difference?  I'm sure I've broken most of the "rules" discussed on the boards and I'm OK with that! :)
    The "old" way is merely tradition from when women were taken from the care of their fathers to the care of their husbands.  Similar to the tradition of "giving" a bride "away," which many brides no longer include in their weddings, and we always advise that that is a-okay.  If I know for a fact that someone really wants to be addressed the traditional way I will do it, but it is absolutely not my default.
  • Options
    You are asking "Why not?"  Sorry, but all I can do is to quote authorities.  This isn't my personal opinion.  See Crane's Invitation Etiquette or Emily Post.  I doubt Miss Manners would even consider this question, since she is very traditional.
    Like I posted earlier, if you include the woman's first name, correct form is Ms. Jane Doe and Mr. John Doe. Both persons get a last name.  Either you care about doing it correctly, or you don't.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards