Not Engaged Yet

Birth Control

2»

Re: Birth Control

• @weewittlewizabeth - Really? I heard that it could interfere with sex if you like deeper positions. However, this is why I started this thread, to get more information.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Nope, we've never had an issue in any position. The first time we ever had sex was when the ring came out, but I've just made sure to use a tampon applicator to insert it since then. 

• I have been on the pill since I was 14 (9 years) due to heavy bleeding and cramping because of a bleeding disorder. I tried Seasonique/Seasonal (one of the 3 month ones) and got a period 1.5 months in and bled for 3.5 straight weeks. Finally my GYN realized that this was not a normal body adjustment and that I needed something else, so I ended up trying a few more kinds. I don't remember which one, but one of them made me emotional for no reason. I remember being 16 and in the high school cafeteria balling my eyes out, but I wasn't actually upset at anything. Finally I was put on Ocella, and have had good luck with that. I do break out every time I get my period though, and it is still very heavy, but manageable. I didn't know that you don't get a period with the IUD. I might have to look into that now, as long as it would be safe for me to use with the bleeding disorder.

• Okay, I clearly know nothing about birth control because you don't get period with IUDs?  I seriously need to look into that.

Most women have either a lighter period or no period with Mirena or Skyla (the IUDs with hormones--there's also hormone-free Paraguard, which makes some women's periods heavier). It's not guaranteed. I have like 5 days of spotting every other month or so, but since I had horrendous 8-day-long, there-isn't-enough-ibuprofen-in-the-world-for-this periods before Mirena, I'm not complaining.

My Mirena insertion was surprisingly easy, but I was given both ibuprofen and misoprostol to take beforehand. My five years are up next year, and I'm probably going to get another one.
  • @weewittlewizabeth - Really? I heard that it could interfere with sex if you like deeper positions. However, this is why I started this thread, to get more information.
    I was with my ex-bf when I was on Nuva Ring and I don't think he could feel it during sex but the majority of the time, it would fall out at some point and then we'd find it on the bed (or wherever) afterwards. Awwwwkward.

• @swazzle - Oh my gosh that sounds so awkward. I really don't want to have to worry about it falling out. 

• Swazzle said:
    @weewittlewizabeth - Really? I heard that it could interfere with sex if you like deeper positions. However, this is why I started this thread, to get more information.
    I was with my ex-bf when I was on Nuva Ring and I don't think he could feel it during sex but the majority of the time, it would fall out at some point and then we'd find it on the bed (or wherever) afterwards. Awwwwkward.
    I've heard of this happening to other people too, but I swear it only happened the one time for me. FI still brings it up though. Now he refers to sex as "playing ring toss." 

For me, I love the convenience of not remembering to take a pill every day. I was on the pill from ages 15-19, and towards the end there I kept forgetting to take the pill and ended up with three-week long periods. I was also 19, newly in college, and much more irresponsible than I am now. I wasn't sexually active at the time, so it was no biggie in that regard. I actually tried switching back to the pill a couple of years ago because Nuva Ring was kinda expensive ($40 a month). Whatever pill they put me on (can't remember the name, and it was a generic form of whatever they put me on) made me bat shit crazy. I felt like I was PMSing for a month. It was terrible. I just went back to Nuva Ring because it was worked best for me. Plus shortly after Obamacare made my birth control free, so the cost wasn't an issue anymore.

IUDs intimidate me. I've heard of more and more people having weird issues with them, and I don't want to potentially risk infertility? I'm not incredibly educated on them though, so I could very well be talking out of my ass. 

• I've used condoms only for the past..7-8 years?  I've done various birth control pills, didn't love taking them every day but whatever... tried the Depo shot, which I liked, but did not like the constant spotting, and I also lost weight on it.  I'm not a huge fan of altering my body with drugs if it's not necessary, and the idea of implanting something into my uterus- cysts, punctures, expulsions, ahhh no no no!!!

That and the fact that I have had SO many friends get pregnant while on the pill (sure, I 'm sure some of them were lying or being careless, but still).  There are so many factors that can alter the pill's effectiveness, and so much to worry about to get it right, (taking it same time every day, remembering antibiotics will make them ineffective, if you're sick and vomit, etc. etc.) that I've never been willing to trust my pregnancy prevention on it.  Plus the spotting, acne, mood swings, weight swings, etc. that may or may not be a nice side gift!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2014

I've used condoms only for the past..7-8 years?  I've done various birth control pills, didn't love taking them every day but whatever... tried the Depo shot, which I liked, but did not like the constant spotting, and I also lost weight on it.  I'm not a huge fan of altering my body with drugs if it's not necessary, and the idea of implanting something into my uterus- cysts, punctures, expulsions, ahhh no no no!!!

That and the fact that I have had SO many friends get pregnant while on the pill (sure, I 'm sure some of them were lying or being careless, but still).  There are so many factors that can alter the pill's effectiveness, and so much to worry about to get it right, (taking it same time every day, remembering antibiotics will make them ineffective, if you're sick and vomit, etc. etc.) that I've never been willing to trust my pregnancy prevention on it.  Plus the spotting, acne, mood swings, weight swings, etc. that may or may not be a nice side gift!

STUCK IN BOX

Any method you want to use is obviously up to you... but there's a lot of misinformation spread about the pill, and birth control in general. I think it's important to remember that the pill is 99% effective when taken properly, and for most pills that means taking one pill a day within a 10-20ish hour span (combination pills). Condoms are 97% effective if worn correctly. Also, not all antibiotics affect the pill. You should always check with your doctor about that. As for vomiting... well, then use condoms for a week or two. But that's not any more of an inconvenience than ALWAYS wearing condoms. 

As for mood swings... my hormones were screwy to begin with. The pill has "normalized" me, so I'm much happier. I only got my period every 6 months or so. And when I did, they were heavy 8 day extravaganzas with horrible cramps. Very unhealthy. Anyway, I just wanted to post this to say that the pill is clearly not the best method for everyone, but it's not as awful as it is often made out to be! 

• You're right-  just my personal experience.  I know anecdotes are just that, but it still didn't make me any less wary of the pill to witness so many pregnancies on it.  And I don't see condoms as an inconvenience at all.  Remembering to take a pill every day, remembering to check with a doctor about any antibiotic or medication I might take and how everything might interact, that's a much bigger pain to me.  And I have experienced all those side effects from the pill.  I'm also lucky that I have a very light, regular period when I'm med free.  Isn't it wonderful that we are so lucky to have so many choices available to us today :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was on the Nuvaring for about 4 years and liked it at first, but in the end my sex drive TANKED. I wanted to get off all HBC but didn't want to go to condoms. So I got fitted for a diaphragm. It was a PIA to actually get it (it had to be ordered by Dr from the supplier) but so far I've been happy with it! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards