Wedding Reception Forum

Shower venue for 55 people in Columbus Ohio, need help!

Hello Everyone,

I am planning a couples shower in the Columbus Ohio area in August. We have about 55 people on the guest list. I am throwing it for my dear friend who is getting married in the fall. We had a venue for the shower thinking our guest list would be closer to 25 people (someone's home) but once we received the guest list we realized we could not accommodate 55 people in her home.

Here is the kicker: I cannot afford to pay for snacks & drinks for a party of 55. So I need a venue such as a restaurant where folks can order off the menu and pay for their own food/drinks. Any input you have would be most helpful, thank you! 

Re: Shower venue for 55 people in Columbus Ohio, need help!

• I know it's hard to hear, but when people attend a shower the expectation is that it's hosted. I would be pretty surprised if I attended a shower and got a bill. This will not go over well.

My advice to you is to get in touch with whoever provided the guest list. Let them know how many people you can afford to host and that's it. It's very gracious of you to offer to host a shower, it would be rude on their part to assume that you're going to host 20 additional people (wtf that's A LOT for a shower). If you decide to move forward with 55 people, have it at a non-meal time and do some basic snacks, cake and punch. You should be able to get away with that for about $60. If the friend's house can't accommodate that many people, see if your local parks/rec, library or community centers have cheap/free space.

Whatever you end up deciding, do not ask guests to host themselves. It's a gift giving event and will only make you look like a bad hostess.
    *********************************************************************************

• When guests find out they have to pay for their own food/drinks at this "shower," where instead they should be tastefully hosted, you might be having a very small shower (back to 25 or fewer).  Then you'll be able to afford to host them properly.  
  • Hello Everyone,

I am planning a couples shower in the Columbus Ohio area in August. We have about 55 people on the guest list. I am throwing it for my dear friend who is getting married in the fall. We had a venue for the shower thinking our guest list would be closer to 25 people (someone's home) but once we received the guest list we realized we could not accommodate 55 people in her home.

Here is the kicker: I cannot afford to pay for snacks & drinks for a party of 55. So I need a venue such as a restaurant where folks can order off the menu and pay for their own food/drinks. Any input you have would be most helpful, thank you! 

No, absolutely not!  You cannot host a party and have the guests pay for their own refreshments!  If you cannot host a party for 55 people then you don't have a party for 55 people.  If you have a venue for 25 people and can afford to host 25 people then you need to go back to the bride and tell her that you can only host 25 people.  You as the host get to decide how many people you're hosting.

• You should post this on our local board. It is fairly active.

I agree with other posters, don't have the guest of the shower pay. If it is a couples shower I can see how it would be so large. Would you consider doing it at a park? Sharon Woods has 4 non reservable (no reservations =free) shelters that seat 64. You just have to show up early to hold the spot.

Serve snacks and cake and drinks. Or cookout, parks have grills. I dont know your budget but this can be done for much less than $100.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards