Wedding Reception Forum

Receiving line THEN introduction?

I'm reading Reception timelines and I've come across, several time, doing the receiving line in between cocktail hour and the start of the reception. Make complete sense to me until I get to the detail of introducing the wedding party/parents/etc. when they walk into the reception. So, basically you have a receiving line to thank everyone for coming, they congratulate you, exchange some hugs, etc. and 15 minutes later you're introduced? Obviously it's not going to be like an introduction but I just find those two things to be a little reversed. Hey, we know you just talked to the couple for a moment and said congratulations one on one but let's welcome the happy couple! Maybe I'm missing something.

Re: Receiving line THEN introduction?

• The obvious solution is to skip the introductions or reverse the order. You can still enter and be introduced and then line up as the reception is starting. I'll be honest, though. I really don't see the point of doing both. I don't mind the bride and groom being introduced like "And here's Mr. and Mrs. Barney Rubble!" but when people introduce parents, bridal party, etc, I don't get it. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I never really understood the introduction of everyone either, isn't that kind of what programs do...inform people of who's who? I can kind of see introducing the hosts, but shouldn't that be done more in toasts?

This is the wording one site but I have seen this order listed quite a bit.

"After the receiving line has been completed and the cocktail hour is finished, it will be time for guests to be seated. After all the guests have found their seats, a master of ceremonies should introduce the bridal party. The bride's parents should be the first to enter, followed by the groom's parents, flower girl and ring bearer, bridesmaids and ushers, best man and maid of honor, then the bride and groom."

• I never really understood the introduction of everyone either, isn't that kind of what programs do...inform people of who's who? I can kind of see introducing the hosts, but shouldn't that be done more in toasts?

This is the wording one site but I have seen this order listed quite a bit.

"After the receiving line has been completed and the cocktail hour is finished, it will be time for guests to be seated. After all the guests have found their seats, a master of ceremonies should introduce the bridal party. The bride's parents should be the first to enter, followed by the groom's parents, flower girl and ring bearer, bridesmaids and ushers, best man and maid of honor, then the bride and groom."

Not everyone has programs.  And if they do that doesn't put a name with the face.  

OP every receiving line I've ever seen is done as the guests leave the ceremony.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards