Wedding Invitations & Paper

Parents Names/Not Paying

My fiancee and I are paying for our wedding.  How can I include our parents' names on the invite, but not as to indicate that they are paying?

Best Answers

Re: Parents Names/Not Paying

• Paying =/= hosting. So the first question would be, "are they hosting your wedding?" If they're not hosting your wedding (it sounds like they're not), their names don't go on the invitation. 

If you are hosting, you could word it like this:

The honor of your presence (church) / The pleasure of your company (anywhere else)
    is requested at the marriage of
    Bride
    to Groom

If you're looking for a way to include them but not confuse people as to who is hosting, put their names in a prominent place in the program, have them as part of the processional, give them boutonnieres/corsages, make sure they're in photos, etc. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Put an asterisk next to the parents' names, then at the bottom of the invite put as a key:

*not paying for wedding

Seriously!?!?  Firstly I would never assume that because someone's parents are named on their invites that they paid for the wedding.  It's 2014 and most weddings these days are paid for by many people and/or just the bride and groom.   Second, if you're that concerned about making it clear that you are paying for the wedding then just leave their names off all together. 

• Put an asterisk next to the parents' names, then at the bottom of the invite put as a key:

*not paying for wedding

Seriously!?!?  Firstly I would never assume that because someone's parents are named on their invites that they paid for the wedding.  It's 2014 and most weddings these days are paid for by many people and/or just the bride and groom.   Second, if you're that concerned about making it clear that you are paying for the wedding then just leave their names off all together. 

Many people assume that "paying" equals "hosting" and that the point of the invitation is to "honor" the parents.  Neither is true, but this doesn't seem to be widespread knowledge.  So I'd be gentle with the OP and assume she's coming from a good place rather than get snarky.
  • @Favouritecake, no need for a rude response.  You're so angry over a wedding you're not even invited to attend.

It's a sincere question.  I did think "hosting" meant paying for the wedding and every website writes that if you're "hosting" your wedding only your names go on the invite.  I'm trying to include our parents names in a way that doesn't say "Katie's parents request the pleasure of your company to their daughter's wedding".  
  • @Favouritecake, no need for a rude response.  You're so angry over a wedding you're not even invited to attend.

It's a sincere question.  I did think "hosting" meant paying for the wedding and every website writes that if you're "hosting" your wedding only your names go on the invite.  I'm trying to include our parents names in a way that doesn't say "Katie's parents request the pleasure of your company to their daughter's wedding".  
    @Katiem4993, the answer to this question is that if your parents aren't hosting, their names don't go on the invitation.

The only people whose names should be on there are the couples' and the hosts'.  No other names should be on it.  If you need to put your parents' names on something by way of "honoring" them, the place to do that is on a program.  The invitation is not a playbill that maps out the family tree or lists all financial contributors.  It is a communication to the guests, inviting them to an event and providing the logistical information (what, when, and where).
  • Jen4948, thanks for the response.  So what does hosting actually mean?  Like the people putting in ideas and organizing it?
  • Thanks!  That's very helpful.
  • Sorry I was honestly trying to be funny, didn't mean to come off snarky! I see now that I was. My bad. My point was just that i don't think that people won't assume that parents are paying (no matter how they are put on the invite). Just me though. Though others may, which is why I see the point of the question. @katiem4993 I would put your names then say "along with" parents names, or 'with your respective parents blessing' etc.
  • Sorry I was honestly trying to be funny, didn't mean to come off snarky! I see now that I was. My bad. My point was just that i don't think that people won't assume that parents are paying (no matter how they are put on the invite). Just me though. Though others may, which is why I see the point of the question. @katiem4993 I would put your names then say "along with" parents names, or 'with your respective parents blessing' etc.
    Again, this doesn't go on an invitation if they're not hosting.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    It is not an honor to have your name printed on a wedding invitation, especially if your name does not belong on it in the first place!    It does not "include" anyone! 
    The wedding invitation is a simple note from the HOSTS to the guests, telling them who, what, when and where.  It is not a family tree.  Since you are hosting your own wedding, this would be the proper wording.

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Brides Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Day, date
    time o'clock
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

Reception to follow  (Use this only if your ceremony and reception are in the same place.)
    If you are having a church wedding, you "request the honour of your presence".
    The only people who are honored by a wedding invitation is the guest who receives one.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards