Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Vendor Review for Rustic Wedding

Hello there! Just thought I would post some vendor reviews for our recent wedding. We were married Saturday March 1st 2014, and we had a rustic, camping, Moonrise Kingdom inspired wedding. We are also very excited to be featured in an upcoming issue of Southern Bride magazine if you would like to see some more images from our wedding! Enjoy and good luck!

Venue: Destrehan Plantation -- B++

Gorgeous venue that all of our guests could not stop talking about! It was absolutely perfect for our rustic camping wedding theme. The grounds are covered in breathtaking live oaks and you even have the option to hold a ceremony outside under one of the gorgeous trees. Our guests seriously could not stop saying how beautiful of a setting it was and we couldn't agree more! Ms. Paula Mire, the wedding coordinator, is incredibly sweet and super helpful. There were just a few things we would have liked to see done differently. When you first tour the venue (Ms. Paula was so helpful she let us tour 3 times for individual family members!) you get to see the fantastic old barn for the reception (it’s over 100 years old!) and then you get a tour of the grounds to see the optional ceremony space. Now, when we first toured we were shown this beautiful live oak right outside of the barn toward the carriageway area, and were told that this is where wedding ceremonies are held. Well needless to say the few days up to our wedding unleashed a downpour and that area under that certain tree that I had fallen in love with -- and was a perfect distance away from the slightly busy River Road -- was completely flooded (the barn never floods due to rain -- it’s raised off of the ground). On the day before the wedding when we found out that we weren’t going to get married under that particular tree, one of the grounds keepers mentioned that they are rarely able to hold weddings under that exact tree. This is something we really wished would have been disclosed beforehand more in-depth. However, we rearranged the ceremony to an even grander oak right to the left of the plantation which was absolutely beautiful for pictures and truly a spectacular setting; my only hang up was how close to the road it was. A couple of other things would be that they don’t provide any sort of speaker or PA system for either the ceremony or the reception; and you really don’t get enough time the day before to decorate. Oh, and one other thing, you can’t have open flames (no candles or sparklers etc.) because the barn is so old, but honestly you want to have a daytime wedding here; it’s so beautiful, no candles needed! As of right now there isn’t anywhere for the bride to get ready the day-of on the site, but we got ready about 5 minutes down the road at Ormond Plantation and just rented out their bridal room for roughly $100 that morning. For a few more pluses: they are not even 10 minutes away from the airport (perfect for leaving right to the honeymoon), they do provide basic linens, Ms. Paula answers any and all emails and calls super quick (She is so super helpful!), and you really don’t have to decorate the barn for the reception all that much because it has so much natural beauty (a bride still wants more than 2 hours the day before to make sure everything is perfect, though). They fill up FAST!! Word has gotten out (especially after one of their brides won Four Weddings) how beautiful this place is and getting a date is getting more and more difficult. Overall, fantastic place to get married and our only complaints really are very minor and easy to maneuver around!

Caterer: Capdeboscq –Marrero -- B

Now, although we did not get to pick out our caterer, we were very pleased with Capdeboscq. Great New Orleans style fair with tons of options and super affordable. When we were planning our wedding at Destrehan Plantation in 2013 the catering plan was 7 hot and/or cold pass around hors d’oeuvres plus mini muffalettas and various other finger sandwiches, 3 different entrees, a carving station, call brand bar, choice of salads or cobblers, a cake allowance, and all of the bar tenders, servers, and a hostess/boss-lady all served the entire length of the reception for just around $40 a head before tax and gratuity. So, basically a TON of delicious food for a very affordable price. You get several options and they are a great family owned business that has been in Marrero for years and they really do try to work with any request you have. However, when you submit a request to them they make it seem really viable, but then they give you the price and it becomes quite the pretty penny and you do not have the option to do it yourself. Now obviously they are a business and they have to make money, but it’s still a little frustrating. For example, included in the package for Destrehan you start out with acrylic dinnerware, or for like $6 more a head you can have china! That seemed high to us, so when we asked about maybe doing recycled bio-degradable dinnerware that we had found prices for very similar to acrylic, they did the research and got back with a number very close to the china upcharge. Just little hiccups like that, but all in all pretty typical of the wedding world, not to mention they are a super affordable caterer so a few upcharges won’t hurt too much. A couple of other little peeves: they take quite a while to respond to email, and you can’t actually taste every single option on the menu (you go to this monthly tasting with a bunch of other brides and grooms and they let you sample a good bit of the popular items, but not nearly as much as they have to offer. They were very sweet though and let us come back at a later date to try the shrimp and grits, but that was it. We actually picked some items that we never got to taste which made me pretty nervous, but they really do know what they are doing in the kitchen). Lastly, the hostess, or “boss-lady” as I called her, was very sweet and definitely made sure we ate, but -- and this is a pretty big but -- she did tend to really rush things. You can totally tell she is just trying to do her job and that she is trying to get everything done ahead of time so you can enjoy the rest of the reception, but we felt so rushed and our guests missed out on things. We did have a ton of time to enjoy the reception I guess, but we would have liked to stretch it out way more. We thought she was just going to be in charge of the guest book and things like that and that Ms. Paula would sort of usher us around, but she assumed all of those roles. For example, we walked in, were greeted by her, we did our first dances, she rushed us over to the cake, we cut the cake and did some photo op toasting (no actual toasting and no announcement of any of it, cake cutting included), then we rushed over to the license signing (still no announcement), and then were served food and drink while she kind of hovered over us shooing people away so we could eat. We just would have really appreciated more announcements and less rushing. If our photographer was off doing something else she wouldn’t have known to catch any of it. In fact, several times one family member had to go yell for another to “come quick they’re…”. All in all we really understand she was just trying to make sure we were able to enjoy everything, but our guests really missed a lot of the typical wedding traditions. We (the whole bridal party) also had speeches planned and were never able/told to give them. Just make sure you get a clear outline of what is expected of the reception; tell them what you want included and make sure you tell them to just slow it down and announce everything and that you aren't in a hurry. This was probably our biggest problem with everything and it wasn’t super terrible. The food really is amazing and they really are a great company to work with.

Photographer: Lauren Carroll-Hammond -- A++++++

I seriously cannot say enough good things about Lauren! She is an amazing photographer with such a great eye. She balances professionalism and a super friendly attitude so incredibly well. We had an unbelievably horrible experience with a previous “photographer” who did our first engagement shoot, so we were so nervous about hiring a photographer for the wedding, but from day one I knew Lauren was completely different and she has been an absolute joy to work with ever since. She is open to any idea you have, and we even shared a Pinterest board specific to particular shots we wanted and she did a fantastic job capturing them for us. She is also extremely patient when dealing with anything that comes her way. We have had to reschedule my bridals 3 times due to rain and each and every time she understood completely about my concern for the weather. She truly goes above and beyond to make sure every aspect of your perfect day is photographed exactly as you have it envisioned. She is super quick with getting your pictures to you, all edited beautifully. She even had a website link with all of our images on it before we got our CD just so we could show family at Easter. This woman is AMAZING!! She is in our opinion the best photographer in the New Orleans/Greater New Orleans area. We interviewed many photographers in New Orleans and we considered quite a few, but when we found Lauren we just knew. Not to mention she is far more affordable than most photographers in the New Orleans area and she does much more quality work. We will use Lauren for every single professional photography need from now on. We LOVED working with her and I honestly do not have a single complaint.

My tips for brides:

-Don’t have a cookie cutter wedding. Plan a wedding around your personalities and what interests you, not the latest greatest trend.

-Take bridals after- This was so awesome! My mom, sister, Lauren, and I all met one afternoon in Audubon Park after the wedding to take my bridals. Seriously take them AFTER! I wasn’t worried about the dress, there was no pre-wedding stress I just got to put my beautiful dress on one more time and take lots of pretty pictures as the new Mrs. Frick.

-Include your future husband. Again, make the wedding about y’all not some random theme.

-Pinterest is your best friend! Make specific boards for meetings with vendors.

-Budget! And make sure everyone knows it!

Re: Vendor Review for Rustic Wedding

• Options
    Great reviews. I had a question about the photographer. How was her pricing compared to the others you interviewed? Thanks!
  • Options
    I have to disagree with your opinion of Capdeboscq.  When we went to pay our final bill two weeks before the wedding, they told us they would do the cake cutting right after bringing us in etc. and we said no we didn't want to do that and that we had a timeline which we had given to our band and other vendors of the times we wanted to do things.  At the reception, they totally respected that.  I think it is your fault for not communicating your wishes clearly and not being organized on your own with your vendors and especially your photographer.  You should have given your vendors a timeline of when you wanted everything to happen.  
  • Options
    E71126E71126 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    We used Destrehan Plantation/Capdeboscq last weekend and BOTH vendors completely dropped the ball for us. I didn't see Paula the entire night except for when she ran in and rudely cut off my band. Capdeboscq's "hostess" disappeared after 1 hour of my reception and was never seen again. I had to get my own drinks the entire night and my photographer had to coordinate my entire wedding. I am SO disappointed and wish I had known better to trust either of these vendors. Please be weary when booking. They say everything will be taken care of, and for me, that just was NOT the case.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards