Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

How did YOU do your pictures? (Or plan)

So we have a photographer booked for only our ceremony, to get all the family and wedding party pictures. I have gotten my FI to agree to a first look, but we don't want to spend the two hours before the ceremony taking monotonous photos. I feel like it will ruin the moment if we HAVE to get all these pictures taken before hand. 
Ceremony starts at 5, we have our photographer booked from 3 to 7. That's two hours before the ceremony, and one maybe one and a half after. Dinner starts at 7, and I'm pretty firm on this because we have a hosted cocktail hour from 5:30-7:00. We once waited at a reception for two and half hours for the B&G to finish all their pictures. 

My only thoughts are that if we do the first look first and the family photos for the next two hours, its going to be hot, boring and monotonous. But then we could do the Wedding party after the ceremony, and our personal pictures. We want to include up to aunts and uncles on both sides, but we don't want to ask all his close family to show up two hours early to the ceremony. I just don't know what the normal process to do all these darn pictures is. How do you fit all these photos into the 'cocktail hour' if you don't do the first look?? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How did YOU do your pictures? (Or plan)

• Options
    McCMal said:
    So we have a photographer booked for only our ceremony, to get all the family and wedding party pictures. I have gotten my FI to agree to a first look, but we don't want to spend the two hours before the ceremony taking monotonous photos. I feel like it will ruin the moment if we HAVE to get all these pictures taken before hand. 
    Ceremony starts at 5, we have our photographer booked from 3 to 7. That's two hours before the ceremony, and one maybe one and a half after. Dinner starts at 7, and I'm pretty firm on this because we have a hosted cocktail hour from 5:30-7:00. We once waited at a reception for two and half hours for the B&G to finish all their pictures. 

My only thoughts are that if we do the first look first and the family photos for the next two hours, its going to be hot, boring and monotonous. But then we could do the Wedding party after the ceremony, and our personal pictures. We want to include up to aunts and uncles on both sides, but we don't want to ask all his close family to show up two hours early to the ceremony. I just don't know what the normal process to do all these darn pictures is. How do you fit all these photos into the 'cocktail hour' if you don't do the first look?? 
    We did a first look.  We got photos with just DH and I, then some with the immediate family who came early.  We took extended family photos during the reception.  I would do whatever you could before the ceremony.  Cocktail hour can be a bit hectic (especially if you have alot of people) so to round up people might not be as easy.  And, if you get most of your photos done beforehand, you may be able to enjoy a little bit of the cocktail hour yourself!  We did, and I'm so happy......it's one of my favorite parts of a wedding!
  • Options
    We did a first look, DH and I went around town with our photogs having fun for about 2 hours. It was a little hot bc we went to a street fair and it was July, but totally worth it - love the photos. Then we did all the family photos before the ceremony. We didn't have a wedding party. Afterwards we were took a photo with all the wedding guests. Then one with DH's extended family and one with my extended family. It all took less then 15 mins. The we were able to enjoy the cocktail hour and mingle with our guests.

It's only boring and monotonous if you make it that way...and if it would be before it will still be boring and monotonous after the ceremony. I would do the wedding perry before the ceremony as they have to be there early, dressed and ready to go. I would all so do any immediate family photos before. Then leave any extended family photos for after so guests don't have to show up extra early and sit around getting hot.

It did not ruin the moment at all for us. It gave us some time to relax together and enjoy ourselves on an otherwise hectic day. It also allowed our parents go and greet guests and be proper hosts during cocktail hour instead of being stuck taking photos with us. :) GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    The family formal photos are boring and monotonous, but the first look shouldn't be!  Our first look was alot of fun.  We did a 90 minute first look/B&G session where we wandered all over our venue (historic property) and shot in lots of locations, different poses, etc.  These make up about a full third of the photos we got back and many of the best pictures were from this session.  When our families arrived, we did just under an hour of posed formals before the ceremony.  Depending on how many people you want to include, the formals could take more or less time (having a shooter and someone managing a list of people helps).
  • Options
    McCMalMcCMal member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ok I'm feeling better about the monotonous part. I guess it would be nice to have an hour to travel around doing our (B/G) pictures and some of the wedding party. That way we have all the time after to take family pictures. Thank you everyone, this makes me feel better and makes it easier to make a plan for the day. Seriously, the whole planning when and what we need to do before the ceremony is really stressful right now. 

Now we have to start getting ready a lot earlier, my hair takes at least an hour to do, and my bridesmaid is doing the other two's and my hair so its going to be a long process. But it's good to sit around in your dress and 'warm it up'! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I'm currently meting with photographers and one of them kind of laid out a timeline, which I think I'll use with whoever I end up going with. FI and I decided that we don't care if we see each other or not, he saw me in the dress the day he paid for it, so about 2 hours prior to the ceremony we're going to do some finishing getting ready photos (if we're not fully ready yet) and then the two of us will take pictures together. If our parents, siblings, and kids are there early enough we will knock out some of the family pictures too. About 30/45 minutes prior to the ceremony we will go back into our rooms and hang out. After the ceremony we will finish up the family photos, because my Grandma won't be there early unless she comes with my parents, and probably take a few more of the two of us...I'm estimating 20/30 minutes since we're going to get a few pics out of the way prior. We decided not to have a wedding party so that's quite a few pictures that won't take up time and everyone we're needing for pictures will know what to do/where to go after the ceremony. The only people we'll probably have to "round up" is our kids (10, 12, and 13) but our parents will be in charge of having them nearby for pictures.

This photographer said, which I believe is pretty common, that he'll get a list of us of the people/pictures we want. It's a great idea to have it planned out to begin with so you can think of all the pics you want and they can be "checked off" as you take them.

• Options
    McCMalMcCMal member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    How many pictures did you take? How 'deep' did you get, like groom and his siblings, grandparents, all the women of the family etc? I am filling out my photo list, and it just keeps getting longer and longer. I'm afraid I'm asking to much.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We did all those. Groom with each sib, all sibs, whole family, groom with parents, groom with grandma, bride & groom with parents, bride & groom with grandma, rinse and repeat with bride's family. As long as everyone is there and paying attention it goes pretty quick. You just pop people in and out while B&G stand int eh same spot. This is why we did them before, it saved a ton of time after and our immediate family was there early.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    you can plan on about 3 minutes for each "thing" on your list. So make your list, count how many I.E. 1.) Bride with Bride's mom 2.) Bride with Bride's Dad, etc. take the number of things on your list x 2 = how many minutes your list will take to get through. Be sure to tell everyone on your list what time and exactly where to be for photos. Be sure to tell them to stay close by and listen for their names being called. So much time can be wasted tracking people down when they roam around or so far away you have to yell for them or walk a way to go get their attention.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards