Chit Chat

stupid crap FILs say

13»

Re: stupid crap FILs say

• Mine haven't been too too bad but I do frequently have to deal with anti-catholic statements which is reeeeaaaaaally starting to grind my gears. At one point I told FMIL that my family is very catholic and takes their religion very seriously because my aunt is a nun and we also have cousins that are arch-bishops. Her response? "Oh wow, you're really invested in the mafia!" *sigh*.... She has reassured me that she will be respectful around my family but it still bothers ME. I've hit the point where I actually had to tell her outright that I didn't want to hear those negative comments about the religion I grew up with.

She has also made comments about R's weight, telling me to not bake because he doesn't need that and make sure he eats healthy food.... ummm, yeah. Have you met your son? I can make healthy food but it'll be like a Mexican stand-off if there is anything he doesn't like in it (and he hates most cooked veggies). Who raised such a picky freaking eater??? hmmmmm, I wonder.

Don't get me wrong, I love my FIL's. They are very kind-hearted people but FMIL can be very opinionated, high-strung/high-maintenance, and judgemental at times. She's one of those people that can be very cold on the outside but soft on the inside and would do anything for her friends and family (R tends to be a lot like her).

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Mine haven't been too too bad but I do frequently have to deal with anti-catholic statements which is reeeeaaaaaally starting to grind my gears. At one point I told FMIL that my family is very catholic and takes their religion very seriously because my aunt is a nun and we also have cousins that are arch-bishops. Her response? "Oh wow, you're really invested in the mafia!" *sigh*.... She has reassured me that she will be respectful around my family but it still bothers ME. I've hit the point where I actually had to tell her outright that I didn't want to hear those negative comments about the religion I grew up with.

She has also made comments about R's weight, telling me to not bake because he doesn't need that and make sure he eats healthy food.... ummm, yeah. Have you met your son? I can make healthy food but it'll be like a Mexican stand-off if there is anything he doesn't like in it (and he hates most cooked veggies). Who raised such a picky freaking eater??? hmmmmm, I wonder.

Don't get me wrong, I love my FIL's. They are very kind-hearted people but FMIL can be very opinionated, high-strung/high-maintenance, and judgemental at times. She's one of those people that can be very cold on the outside but soft on the inside and would do anything for her friends and family (R tends to be a lot like her).
    That is one of the most absurd correlations I have ever read. Since friggin when does a catholic family = mob connections?!?!?!?!?!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• @beethery, I don't think she meant it in the literal sense. She meant it as if the Catholic church is just as bad as the mafia. She often makes comments relating Catholicism to cults and other things. Thankfully she is starting to lay-off it since I told her it bothers me.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• @beethery, I don't think she meant it in the literal sense. She meant it as if the Catholic church is just as bad as the mafia. She often makes comments relating Catholicism to cults and other things. Thankfully she is starting to lay-off it since I told her it bothers me.
    LOL next time she alludes to "cultiness" you should put on a stepford smile and ask if she'll join your for the membership drive, then cackle maniacally and walk away
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• My FFIL just went on about how he thought I shouldn't have left school to work, even though I graduated with my MS degree and didn't want a PhD and don't need one for my field. If he knew anything about electrical engineering, he would know that I do not need a PhD for what I want to do.  Ick. Again, someone with not enough info trying to weigh in. FI talked to him about it when he heard. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • beethery said:
    @beethery, I don't think she meant it in the literal sense. She meant it as if the Catholic church is just as bad as the mafia. She often makes comments relating Catholicism to cults and other things. Thankfully she is starting to lay-off it since I told her it bothers me.
    LOL next time she alludes to "cultiness" you should put on a stepford smile and ask if she'll join your for the membership drive, then cackle maniacally and walk away
    hahahahaha, please do this!

beethery, you are quickly becoming my favorite Knottie. You are cracking me up.
  • beethery said:
    @beethery, I don't think she meant it in the literal sense. She meant it as if the Catholic church is just as bad as the mafia. She often makes comments relating Catholicism to cults and other things. Thankfully she is starting to lay-off it since I told her it bothers me.
    Bahahahaha, I have considered telling her that because she doesn't approve of my culty catholic ways I have decided to join the local religious group in FI's hometown instead (they're pretty much a mix of severe menonite and amish rolled into one... she loathes them!).

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014

Bahahahaha, I have considered telling her that because she doesn't approve of my culty catholic ways I have decided to join the local religious group in FI's hometown instead (they're pretty much a mix of severe menonite and amish rolled into one... she loathes them!).

If you do not show up wearing one of the little Mennonite ladies' caps I'm going to be so upset with you for missing a golden once in a lifetime opportunity.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I love my FIL’s.  They are great people.  And for the most part we have good intelligent conversations.  Some things they have said that really knocked my socks off were basically  getting into our personal financial situation.  My FI has a very VERY difficult time with money.  So he asked me to manage the money.  I have been at my job for 6 years.  I make good money.  Actually more than FI.  When I met him he couldn’t even manage his own money.  They weren’t too happy about that.  Oh well.  At least now I know the mortgage & electric get paid!

Lately, the only off keen thing they have said was this weekend when discussing the wedding and talking about the budget ($8,000 for 100 people) that we are “crazy!”  And that we should not spend that amount of money.  “Keep it to immediate family.”  When I asked what exactly that consisted of because I thought that’s what we were doing…I basically only get 20 “immediate family” guests while they get 30+ which was over half of our guest list anyway??  Then after that we were told that we should just go to the JOP like they did and have a party.  Lovely!

• This comments about baby-hungry ILs are scaring me . . . I got a whole bunch of comments about babies before and during my wedding.  I also have MIL telling me how to raise my future children, children that I do not plan on having.  No one has bought me a stroller yet, thank goodness!  And my parents already have grandchildren and know I don't want kids, so it thankfully never comes up. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards