Wedding Woes
Options

issues with jeweler...vent

I'm still very new here (hello everyone!) but thought I would share my frustrations and maybe someone has dealt with a similar situation?  I need to vent :(

My fiance bought my engagement ring and band at the same time from a reputable local jeweler.  He proposed in January, so I have been wearing the engagement ring for six months now.  So far they have been great about customer service and they have an in-house jeweler (one of the main reasons FI picked this jeweler).  I had a slightly loose side stone fixed immediately while I waited in the store, rhodium plating done while I went and got lunch, and they have polished my ring countless times...all for free.  I say this so you know how accommodating they have been to us in the last six months.

Fast forward to earlier this week, I felt a rough spot on the band of my ring.  I took it in yesterday and the jeweler looked at it and and tried to smooth it out.  I went home and it STILL felt rough so I took the ring in again this morning.  The jeweler tried to smooth it/file it again and it STILL didn't work.  The jeweler said the rough spot is where the saudering (spelling?) is, where the ring was sized?  He said it is very unusual to feel it and that he will take care of it Saturday morning.  So Saturday morning I'm supposed to drop it off and pick it up at the end of the day so he can redo the whole band I guess.  I'm sitting here now looking at my ring and the band looks pinched...the middle has clearly been filed down and is now uneven!  I'm terrified.  I know I'm taking it back on Saturday for them to fix the rough spot, but they created a new problem! 

I don't want to walk in there on Saturday with a list of things I want to make sure are taken care of (is the band even? rough spot gone? stones tight?) because I'm afraid of sounding pushy.  But this is my engagement ring and I want it perfect, like it used to be.

So now I'm looking at my uneven band, trying not to cry.  I guess I just have to live with it until Saturday and hope they do a good job :(

Re: issues with jeweler...vent

• Options
    C&E2009 said:
    I'm still very new here (hello everyone!) but thought I would share my frustrations and maybe someone has dealt with a similar situation?  I need to vent :(

My fiance bought my engagement ring and band at the same time from a reputable local jeweler.  He proposed in January, so I have been wearing the engagement ring for six months now.  So far they have been great about customer service and they have an in-house jeweler (one of the main reasons FI picked this jeweler).  I had a slightly loose side stone fixed immediately while I waited in the store, rhodium plating done while I went and got lunch, and they have polished my ring countless times...all for free.  I say this so you know how accommodating they have been to us in the last six months.

Fast forward to earlier this week, I felt a rough spot on the band of my ring.  I took it in yesterday and the jeweler looked at it and and tried to smooth it out.  I went home and it STILL felt rough so I took the ring in again this morning.  The jeweler tried to smooth it/file it again and it STILL didn't work.  The jeweler said the rough spot is where the saudering (spelling?) is, where the ring was sized?  He said it is very unusual to feel it and that he will take care of it Saturday morning.  So Saturday morning I'm supposed to drop it off and pick it up at the end of the day so he can redo the whole band I guess.  I'm sitting here now looking at my ring and the band looks pinched...the middle has clearly been filed down and is now uneven!  I'm terrified.  I know I'm taking it back on Saturday for them to fix the rough spot, but they created a new problem! 

I don't want to walk in there on Saturday with a list of things I want to make sure are taken care of (is the band even? rough spot gone? stones tight?) because I'm afraid of sounding pushy.  But this is my engagement ring and I want it perfect, like it used to be.

So now I'm looking at my uneven band, trying not to cry.  I guess I just have to live with it until Saturday and hope they do a good job :(
    They have made a good faith attempt to fix the problem so far and are working to solve it for you.  I"m not sure why you are "Terrified".  Give them a chance to make it right and, if they don't, you will need to work with them until they do.  I get that this is your engagement ring but, from what you have written here, you seem to be a little obsessed.  Take a deep breath.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say obsessed.  I'd say disappointed and concerned.  I came to them with a problem I could feel (rough spot) and left with a visible defect.  I'm a little disappointed that they handed me back my ring and said "here it's fixed" when the original issue wasn't handled and a new issue was created.  It concerns me that this is there version of "fixed".
  • Options
    To clarify, the "obsessed" comment was in reference to you having been in to have the ring  rhodium plated once and polished "countless times" in just 6 months.  That seems excessive to me.  But just my .02.  
  • Options
    thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    MNNEBride said:
    To clarify, the "obsessed" comment was in reference to you having been in to have the ring  rhodium plated once and polished "countless times" in just 6 months.  That seems excessive to me.  But just my .02.  
    Yeah, shit, I've had the current incarnation of my engagement ring for a year now and haven't done anything but happen to wash it when I wash my hands. It'll be a damn long while before I bother getting it re-dipped or just polished. It looks fine.

Maybe you getting things done to it constantly have led to your problem. I mean, I'm a nurse and wash my hands dozens of times a day and get my hands in questionable things and my ring's just peachy.

• Options
    No one will notice the 'pinch'.  Please try not to fiddle with it too much.  I'd worry more about the stones than anything but that sounds like you have it under control.  He might try to even it out so it is less noticeable, right?

I have had my e-ring since March 2013 and even though the white gold is scratched in places, it looks fine.  I have a faux tension setting so I am not sure if that makes a difference.  I am glad you have such an accommodating jeweler. 

Congrats on your engagement.  Enjoy your ring! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Thanks everyone!  I think tomorrow should go ok, since FI called last night and got a few questions clarified with the jeweler.

But as a side note, our jeweler and jewelry insurance both said that by coming in about once a month to have the stones checked we could probably avoid a potential problem.  No one wants to have to file an insurance claim because a stone fell out.  We are very active by the way between's FI's business, camping, kayaking, and four wheeling.  My ring goes through all of that :/
  • Options
    C&E2009 Relax. Your jeweler sounds awesome. I never take my ring off unless I have to and I am super rough with my hands. I work on an ambulance so just about everything imaginable has happened to my poor ring. "Check ups" on the stones every six months should be more than fine, and you really shouldn't need it re-rhodiumed any more than every six months and thats if your dipping your hands in acid baths. 

Take your ring back in this weekend and let the jeweler do his thing. 
  • Options
    ...waiting to see how things at the Jeweler went Saturday....
  • Options
    Saturday didn't go well at all.  I dropped it off and among a host of other issues, the ring is lop sided.  I say this in all seriousness.  My mother, father, and FI all agree that it is no longer "ring" shaped.  I know some rings are more of an oval shape while others are more round.  Mine was originally round.  Now it's a really long oval AND the oval is lopsided.  I could live with oval, but lopsided, no.  It doesn't even fit comfortably on my finger anymore.  FI got out the MATCHING wedding band purchased from the same jeweler at the same time and it's just awful.  They don't come close to matching up.

I don't expect perfection...jewelry is a handcrafted art, I understand.  But dang.

I have an appointment today with a family friend who is a jeweler and owns a very reputable jewelry store in our area.  We'll see what he can do with it I suppose.  And the original issue still isn't fixed.  Unfortunately I can't get the photo upload to work today or I would upload one of the engagement ring and wedding band next to each other. 

Also, in case you are wondering, taking it to another jeweler won't void any warranties...because they didn't offer a warranty on my rings!  FI thought since he was getting them insured this wasn't a big deal...now I think maybe it's because they don't stand behind their work.

Wish me luck today :/
  • Options
    I also looked up the jewelry store where my rings were purchased...others have left bad reviews, several are very similar to the issue I'm experiencing :(
  • Options
    UPDATE

We went to our appointment with the jeweler our family uses.  Super long story short, he took one look at the ring and KNEW what jewelry store it came from.  He told us this isn't the first  or even the one hundredth ring he's had to fix from this jeweler. 

I have NEVER received customer service as great as I did with this jeweler.  My family has been using them for years.  I have received several necklaces and sets of earrings as presents that came from this jeweler but I've never dealt with him directly.

Our original jeweler apparently didn't replace the shank of my ring like he said he did.  Our original jeweler apparently didn't set the diamonds properly (once I saw the ring under the microscope, it was easy to see).  The original jeweler didn't polish out the pry marks from where he tightened the diamonds.  The original jeweler put my center diamond in a setting meant for a diamond of a much larger carat larger than mine....the list goes on.

I feel so relieved.  The jeweler we went to today took us to the back of the store where they MAKE their own jewelry.  He introduced me to the people that would be working on my ring, wrote down every concern he had about the ring, and said they would start on it immediately and I could pick it up sometime tomorrow.  Although nothing was wrong with the wedding band, they kept it so they could make sure to match my E ring up to it perfectly again. 

The family jeweler saw how much we paid for the E ring and wedding band, the quality of the diamonds, and actually pulled out a sheet that shows the prices he pays for diamonds.  We did get a very reasonable price on the diamonds and settings.  Even if we didn't, I'm in love with my diamonds and setting.  What I wasn't in love with was the customer service. 

All in all, I am more than relieved.
  • Options
    Glad to hear you have a happy ending.  
  • Options
    Wow!  That's awesome!  Im glad to hear it all worked out!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    MNNEBride said:

That's what I was thinking. I've had my e-ring for over 2 years and haven't had it rhodium plated yet. I take it to get cleaned at the jewelers like once every 6 months.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards