Getting in Shape

Weight gain, and not much I can do about it :(

I'm undergoing chemotherapy for a very early stage cancer, but it's enough chemo to experience some crappy side effects, one of which is rapid abdominal area weight gain. I've gained 8 pounds in the last two months which is very unusual for me :o The nutritionist told me I was underweight before, but I liked the way I looked, was in great shape, and didn't really go out of my way to diet or restrict calories--just lifted weights or ran 4 times a week. I'm still lifting, running, and doing Pilates when I feel well, but I can't go as fast or far, or lift as much as I did before my surgery and chemo started. And some days I'm not well enough to do anything but sit on the couch (and be on TK, like now :P). I guess I could cut out all sweets, but there are some days where sherbet is all I feel like eating. FI and I are both so grateful that this was caught early and is so treatable, but it's just hard to feel like I have so little control over my body after I've spent the last few years working hard to get in shape. Not to mention that I ordered my dress in December, way before I knew I'd have to deal with anything like this four months before my wedding! Has anyone else come back to working out after dealing with serious medical issues? How long did it take you to get back to normal? Were you as impatient as I am?

Re: Weight gain, and not much I can do about it :(

• be gentle with yourself (emotionally) and good luck to you.
  • I haven't experienced this personally, but what I've been basically told is that, if you were in great shape before, you're going to tend to bounce back a little once your body starts to recover from the chemo. I have a back-and-forth relationship with running (I'll catch a cold or develop an injury or something and take a few weeks off), and I always find it really difficult to get back into it at first, but once you have a baseline you're comfortable with (once I get to where I can run 3 miles again without walking, I'm like WOOHOO and I get super motivated to train up), it becomes a lot easier.

I feel like with lifting weights, it's easier to get back into it, but you'll obviously want to go easy on yourself at first. You may lose a little strength from the rest (which you DO need, very much!), so don't go back in expecting to hit your former baseline right off the bat. It'll all just take time, and your body may not want to cooperate at first, but you'll be back at it and kicking ass before you know it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    be gentle with yourself (emotionally) and good luck to you.

My doctor said exactly the same thing--I must need to hear it often! Thanks :)
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I haven't experienced this personally, but what I've been basically told is that, if you were in great shape before, you're going to tend to bounce back a little once your body starts to recover from the chemo. I have a back-and-forth relationship with running (I'll catch a cold or develop an injury or something and take a few weeks off), and I always find it really difficult to get back into it at first, but once you have a baseline you're comfortable with (once I get to where I can run 3 miles again without walking, I'm like WOOHOO and I get super motivated to train up), it becomes a lot easier.

I feel like with lifting weights, it's easier to get back into it, but you'll obviously want to go easy on yourself at first. You may lose a little strength from the rest (which you DO need, very much!), so don't go back in expecting to hit your former baseline right off the bat. It'll all just take time, and your body may not want to cooperate at first, but you'll be back at it and kicking ass before you know it.

Thanks--I think I've been expecting to gain it all back within a couple of classes, but I already feel better just from getting myself there to the class and doing what I can. And I did 4 miles today--slower than I'd like to be, but still doing it!
  • Aray82 said:

I haven't experienced this personally, but what I've been basically told is that, if you were in great shape before, you're going to tend to bounce back a little once your body starts to recover from the chemo. I have a back-and-forth relationship with running (I'll catch a cold or develop an injury or something and take a few weeks off), and I always find it really difficult to get back into it at first, but once you have a baseline you're comfortable with (once I get to where I can run 3 miles again without walking, I'm like WOOHOO and I get super motivated to train up), it becomes a lot easier.

Thanks--I think I've been expecting to gain it all back within a couple of classes, but I already feel better just from getting myself there to the class and doing what I can. And I did 4 miles today--slower than I'd like to be, but still doing it!

It's the same as it is with a big weight loss goal. It took time to put on the weight, so it'll take time to get it back off. I think the same applies once you're over that hill and are just trying to get back to what normally be your maintenance range.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards