Attire & Accessories Forum

Should my bridesmaid dresses match my theme?

I am having a 1950's themed wedding (my dress, veil, hair, and make-up are all 50's) and I don't know if I should have my bridesmaid dresses match the theme. There is a dress that fits the theme but I seem to be the only one who loves it. Everyone else likes another dress that is light and fun (which is also something I want in the wedding) but it doesn't match my theme. Is it enough that they do their hair and accessories with the theme or would it look strange? Any ideas? I don't want to be a bridezilla who sticks them in dresses they don't like!

Re: Should my bridesmaid dresses match my theme?

• Is it possible that you could find another option that kind of meets in the middle? That way you're all happy. I know I'm going to run into a similar problem with a few of my bridesmaids, but I want to be open minded about their needs/wants while still trying to find something that I like, as well.
  • My MOH is a different body type and style than the rest of us too...
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would keep looking and find a 1950's style dress that fits the 1950's theme.  Check out modcloth: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/1950s-dresses
  • I love mod cloth!! I think my problem is that I am going to give into what they want and lose out on the 1950s theme or the modern dress will look out of place with their 1950s hairstyle and accessories.
  • I love mod cloth!! I think my problem is that I am going to give into what they want and lose out on the 1950s theme or the modern dress will look out of place with their 1950s hairstyle and accessories.

These are your nearest and dearest. If you're asking them to purchase a dress for your wedding, I would go with something they like over a theme. Also, are you paying for their 1950s hair style? It's rude to require your bridal party to pay for their hair / makeup.
  • What dress do they like? I think depending on the dress, it could still fit in with your theme even if it's more modern. I'm not usually a fan of themes, but 1950s is definitely more of a style than a costume so it sounds nice.
  • Can you post both dresses on here.  The girls here are extremely helpful and might be able to help you find a happy-medium (or accessories to help with the dresses your bridesmaid like to make it work).

Anniversary
  • I think the bridesmaids dresses should definitely coordinate somehow. Have you checked out Alfred Sung bridesmaids dresses? http://bit.ly/1s7qC1y They're "modern" and there's a lot to choose from that definitely have a 50's feel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards