Chit Chat
Options

Follow on to Lynda's thread about housekeepers

I have never had a cleaning lady/housekeeper before but it needs to happen.  Soooo, for those of you who have had cleaning ladies/housekeepers, what did you have them do?  What did absolutely NOT have them do?  Thanks!

Re: Follow on to Lynda's thread about housekeepers

• Options
    I just had a housekeeper come today, only for the second time.  I used Homejoy.com because I found a coupon, and I've been happy with them.  It is very affordable.

I declutter everything before she comes, so I wouldn't ask her to put anything away, organize stuff, etc.   The website says she will make the bed, but I'm not really comfortable with that and I generally make the bed myself.

She does a deep clean in the bathroom and kitchen, cleaning all fixtures and surfaces and mopping the floor.  She dusts everything in the bedroom and living room way better than I ever would, taking stuff off shelves and moving everything around.  Then she vacuums. 

The service also has options to purchase extra time for the following tasks: cleaning the inside of the oven (I did this the first time and I'm so glad I did), inside of fridge, walls, laundry, interior windows.  

2.5 hours of cleaning service in my small apartment is plenty of time.  The visit costs $50 and I tipped $10.  I can't afford to do it regularly, but with the funeral, wedding, and upcoming bar exam, I don't have time this month to do a deep clean.  So it was totally worth it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I love our housekeeper. She comes every two weeks. She does all of the deep cleaning. Things like sweeping, mopping, stove top, dusting, full bathroom and vacuuming. We have to pick up before she comes. She doesn't do this, I mean she might for a fee but I think that's unnecessary and kind of weird, I don't want her to have to do our dishes or anything. So we spend an hour or so making sure what she's cleaning is perfectly accessible (I'm looking at you constantly cluttered coffee table) then she takes it from there. She'll also re-make our bed so if we strip it before she comes and we leave a fresh set of sheets she'll make it for us. She'll also do extra things (for an extra fee) periodically like clean our guest bedroom and bathroom (we don't need these unused rooms cleaned every two weeks, only before guests come) or like last week for an extra $30 she waxed our hardwood floors. She's worth her weight in gold.
  • Options
    I've had various housekeepers over the years.    

For 2 years I lived in my parent's home while they lived overseas.  Part of my rent was to pay for a housekeeper every other week (yes, my parents made anyone who lived at home pay some sort of rent).    

They dusted and vacuumed the whole house (it was a big house), washed my sheets (or any other room that might have been used) and remade the bed and cleaned the kitchen and bathrooms. I normally threw the sheets in the washer before I left for work and they finished the job.   Most times I had already started the dishwasher and they would put the stuff away.  If I didn't they would start it and I would put the stuff away.    The only laundry they did was sheets, towels (kitchen and bath) and bath mats.

Twice a year I had them move furniture and do deep cleaning.

Our new girl rescheduled for tomorrow.  She will do the same as above.   She offered to do our laundry.  I just said I would start washing the sheets, most likely even get them to the dryer and asked if they could finish the process and remake the beds.     I also want her to wash all the towels and bathmats.

For some reason I'm not a fan or them doing my personal laundry.  Sheets and towels, fine, underwear nope.        Although in Japan we had a daily maid.  Sometimes whatever I wore the night before was washed, folded and ironed before I even woke up.  She even ironed underwear and jeans.    She was awesome.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I don't have a regular cleaning person, but I've gotten a few Groupons for cleaning services. I handled the decluttering, and they handled the actual washing. Scrubbed the tub, toilet and bathroom floor (even the weird ick around the base/behind the toilet), kitchen floor, cabinets and sink, dusted and vacuumed.

I would never want them doing laundry (as much as I hate it; I'd rather not have strangers touching my delicates), putting the dishes away (I'd fear things ending up in the wrong spot), or making the bed (don't touch my pillow, thanks).

• Options
    My mom had a cleaning lady that came once a week. She mopped and vacuumed, and cleaned the bathrooms. I think she also wiped down the counters, dusted and took out the bathroom trash. We had to de clutter before she came.

Anniversary
  • Options
    We sound the same as everyone else. We de clutter before she comes, so she can just clean. I refuse to let her do dishes or laundry. I'm not a fan that she takes out the garbage either, so I try to do it the night before she comes, though if I forget, she does it. They just seem to be things we should be doing. She vacuums (floors and furniture), dusts, mops, washes windows, wipes appliances and bathrooms. I love her for doing the bathrooms, since I hate them. Those are DH's job though.

• Options
    Anytime I've used a housekeeping service, it's about the deep cleaning. I just don't have time to really get in there and do the shutters, base boards, or deep scrub the tub. I would never consider laundry or dishes to be a part of anything, but I know people who have hired someone to do that. My DH has enough anxiety having someone come into the vacuum let alone touch his clothing!

• Options
    My parents have someone come every two weeks. I used to have that but, since meeting FI, we're doing it ourselves. On a regular basis, she:

1. vacuums/mops/waxes the floors
    2. dusts everything
    3. conditions any wood work
    4. scrubs the bathrooms and kitchens

My parents always had us straighten the house before the house cleaner came so that she could focus on the cleaning, not putting things away. The dishes were always done, laundry taken care of, etc. Also, when I was growing up, we were still responsible for our own rooms- she'd clean my parents but the kids were on their own.

Now I really miss having a house cleaner...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I like to clean, so no housekeeper for me.

However, I would love it if somebody came and cleaned my blinds. I hate doing that.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! This gives me a good starting point for the convo with DH. It was his idea in the first place and he things weekly is an awesome idea. So.Do.I.
  • Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    We just started having one. They come once a month for two hours. I have them do the normal stuff- bathrooms, floors, dusting. Then, one extra chore that I hate doing- windows, blinds, baseboards, etc. I really fought having one because I don't think it is that hard to clean, nor does it take that much time, but hubby talked me into it. And it is nice to have a weekend where we aren't cleaning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards