Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Family Dance?

I was curious what people thought about a family dance? it would be me my future husband and my son (who is not my fiance's bio-son) on the dance floor together. i thought it would be a good way to symbolize us becoming a family. the song would be Brad Paisley's He Didn't Have to Be because this song truely fits my son and fiance's relationship. so what does everyone thing? 
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage

Re: Family Dance?

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited April 2011
    i guess its nice as long as it replaces the traditional first dance.  if its an added dance, i think that's too many scripted dances that no one watches anyway.

really, you shoud involve your son in your ceremony as THAT is where you become a family - not on the dance floor.
  • I don't really see anything wrong with it persay. And btw - I love Brad Paisley. He is just an awesome guy and makes even greater music.

We used one of his songs for our first dance song.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_family-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:e233a436-fa26-4ac3-89aa-256a18d84b27Post:56fffaca-8a1e-4fd5-b6ce-bf42f1aa71af">Re: Family Dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i guess its nice as long as it replaces the traditional first dance.  if its an added dance, i think that's too many scripted dances that no one watches anyway. really, you shoud involve your son in your ceremony as THAT is where you become a family - not on the dance floor.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

I completely disagree.  The ceremony is where the couple becomes husband and wife, and the child shouldn't be included in what is a moment for two consenting adults.

I think a family dance would be darling.  It doesn't necessarily have to be a
    spotlight" dance if you don't want your guests watching other people dance for too long instead of dancing themselves.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • well,i personaly think if you marry a person who has kids, you really arent just marrying that person - its a package deal.  i love ceremonies where children are included in this way.  much more meaningful that flower girl/ring bearer props.
  • thanks for that comments girls....i ran it by my mom and she thought it would be super cute....sooo....i think we will go for it....thanks again Laughing

• I love the idea and I think the song choice is perfect!
  • We're doing the exact same thing!  My son is 3 1/2 and not my fiance's biological son, but my fiance is his dad in every sense of the word but that one thing.  I think it will be the sweetest thing - I'm almost more excited about this than I am for our first dance. 
    ~* Believe in yourself! *~
  • my boy will be almost 7 (we are planing for sept 2012 and his bday is first part of oct) and hes big into being in front of ppl especailly in a suit lol but who knows he may grow outta that by next year....and no the bio dad is not in the pic at all....
  • I'm going to have a dance with my son after our first dance.  Towards the end my FI is going to come in and join us.  I think it's a sweet gesture.

Calypso- just out of curiosity, what would you have the child involved in during the ceremony if not flower girl/ring bearer?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I say go for it -- but maybe after about the first minute (if it's a fun song, IDK I haven't heard it) invite others to join you on the dance floor so guests don't get bored feeling obligated to watch (even though it sounds like your son may make it fun enough to keep watching, haha) 
  • i figure we would do it for the first lil bit of the song just us then have anyone eles that  wants to join get out there too
  • vexievexie member
    First Comment
    We're doing the family dance!!  My fiance is a widower with 2 young daughters (aged 5 & 3).  We're including them in the ceremony.... after FI and I exchange our vows and rings the girls will join us and I will make vows to them.. promising to love them, play with them, laugh and cuddle with them etc just as if they were my own.  We're going to give them lockets with the wedding date engraved on them as a reminder of the day we became a family.  Then, the girls will join us for the last minute or so of our first dance together.    I can't wait for this moment and think it will be really meaningful....   The wedding is obviously about FI and I joining together, however I agree with a PP in that I'm not just marrying him -  I'm marrying the entire family and want the girls and the world to know that :)

I say go for it... it will be super adorable!
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards