Flowers

So I think I don't know how to convey to the florist what I want any help?

So yesterday I had my first floral appointment (I'm checking out 3 different florists). This florist seemed like it would be a good fit since I had seen some modern looking arrangements on their site. Our wedding is monochrome white, black, and silver it's in a loft style venue with exposed brick and steal and I want the flowers to pop with a bit of color but in modern arrangements. I love calla lillies and tulips but my budget won't allow all calla's and tulips so I asked her to show me what she could do that would give that clean line and modern feel. I strongly dislike rustic, it's my least favorite theme and my fiancee would flip his lid if our reception looked like it belonged in a barn. I told her I prefer calla lillies, tulips, and clean lines I even showed her pictures which granted were way over budget but just to give her an idea of what I liked. They came at me with massive amounts of hydrangeas, in puffy and ball like presentations, that looked super rustic/grandma-ish. The one tulip arrangement she could do was terribly boring and very typical of traditional ball room weddings. I guess maybe I need to explain myself better any suggestions for the next visit to let them know rustic and or traditional ball room style will not fly and it must be modern?

Re: So I think I don't know how to convey to the florist what I want any help?

• Marzipan13Marzipan13 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    I would find some pictures on the internet that you don't like - if you show them your likes AND dislikes, maybe the florist will understand what you're looking for better. If two arrangements have things you love, the florist will be able to see how they can combine them, possibly.  Visual examples = best way to go.

ETA: Show your florist pictures of your venue as well.  Maybe they'll get the idea that "rustic" won't work with such a modern venue once they actually see it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • It sounds like this florist might not be a good fit for you. You were pretty specific and clear about what you wanted.
  • Good Idea for what i DON'T want. And it probably is the wrong florist but I didn't want to blame them because it was my description and I thought maybe I don't know what to say since I don't know much about floral arrangements.
  • Maybe you did this at the first meeting, but if not...

Tell the florist that you think hydrangeas look rustic and that you don't like rustic. When the florist brings you something you don't like, try to articulate why. Eg: "I want clean, modern lines. Those puffy flowers remind me of someone's grandmother and that's not the look I'm going for. What else can you show me?"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards