Wedding Party

Maid of Honor Not Filling her shoes?

Re: Maid of Honor Not Filling her shoes?

• Aaaand I just started smoking.
  • kebebbkebebb member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    This is the best ever. I better tell my MOH she's failing at her job too, since all she's done is order her dress. OH WAIT. That's all she needed to do. She's not my fiance. Or my servant.
  • I feel that since you gave her your expectations from the beginning, then she shouldn't have accepted if she didn't feel that she could commit. ON THE OTHER HAND, you knew her situation prior to asking, so I believe that it's your fault for asking someone to commit to so much, while living out of town and not having a job.

Don't "demote" her, just inquire with other Bridesmaids as to if they could help you. Your bridal party gifts should reflect the help and involvement that you received from each girl.
  • brandi902 said:

I feel that since you gave her your expectations from the beginning, then she shouldn't have accepted if she didn't feel that she could commit. ON THE OTHER HAND, you knew her situation prior to asking, so I believe that it's your fault for asking someone to commit to so much, while living out of town and not having a job.

Don't "demote" her, just inquire with other Bridesmaids as to if they could help you. Your bridal party gifts should reflect the help and involvement that you received from each girl.

No. Do not ask the other bridesmaids to do anything. Arg!! That's what's bringing stress to her relationship with her MOH. Talk about repeating mistakes. No.

OP - ask your fiance to help you. If he can't, you need to hire someone. None of this is complicated.
    *********************************************************************************

• brandi902 said:
    I feel that since you gave her your expectations from the beginning, then she shouldn't have accepted if she didn't feel that she could commit. ON THE OTHER HAND, you knew her situation prior to asking, so I believe that it's your fault for asking someone to commit to so much, while living out of town and not having a job.

• edited July 2014
    brandi902 said:

To the bolded: Yeah, that's the shittiest thing you can do. Don't do that.

A friend of mine found herself in a situation last year where she hadn't been able to do "the duties" as much as the bride wanted because she was laid off from work before all the showers and wedding.

When the wedding party was given their gifts at the rehearsal dinner, she saw she was the only one to not get these Tiffany pearl necklaces that every bridesmaid had received. My friend was very hurt, the other girls felt very awkward to have these pearls that she didn't get and bride came up with that same lame excuse that my friend hadn't contributed nearly as much as others. They haven't spoken since the wedding. 

• brandi902 said:
     Your bridal party gifts should reflect the help and involvement that you received from each girl.
    What the actual fuck?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • brandi902 said:

A friend of mine found herself in a situation last year where she hadn't been able to do "the duties" as much as the bride wanted because she was laid off from work before all the showers and wedding.

When the wedding party was given their gifts at the rehearsal dinner, she saw she was the only one to not get these Tiffany pearl necklaces that every bridesmaid had received. My friend was very hurt, the other girls felt very awkward to have these pearls that she didn't get and bride came up with that same lame excuse that my friend hadn't contributed nearly as much as others. They haven't spoken since the wedding. 

What fresh hell is this?!

Who in the actual fuck even thinks that the boded is appropriate at all?!

This is such inconsiderate, fail thinking you should be slapped so hard your momma feels it too!

That bride was the biggest bitch to her. If I had been at the rehearsal dinner and saw that happen, the bride may have needed extra makeup to cover up the black eye.
  • brandi902 said:

Holy shit.  That made me uncomfortable just READING it.  
    Anniversary

• brandi902 said:

Same here.

If I was that poor girl I would have burst into tears the moment I left the RD and then refused to go the wedding the next day.
    If I was a BM who had received a necklace I would probably have been like "WTF?!" and also refused to be in the wedding the next day, let alone attend.
    The other girls in the wedding were just as catty as the bride. My friend had been friends with the bride since they were in diapers and still managed to get through the wedding day with her head held high but never spoke to the bride again.
  • brandi902 said:

Same here.

If I was that poor girl I would have burst into tears the moment I left the RD and then refused to go the wedding the next day.
    If I was a BM who had received a necklace I would probably have been like "WTF?!" and also refused to be in the wedding the next day, let alone attend.
    The other girls in the wedding were just as catty as the bride. My friend had been friends with the bride since they were in diapers and still managed to get through the wedding day with her head held high but never spoke to the bride again.
    I have mad respect for your friend because I don't know if I could have done the same.

• Since when did just showing up to a wedding, and not participating in any pre-wedding events entitle you to a $200 gift.

I did not mean that anyone deserves "a bag of shit" @Maggie0829.

I gave host/hostess gifts to everyone that had anything to do with giving my fiance and I our Engagement Party as well as my Bridal Shower. My MOH and MOB did the majority of the work for my shower and my other two bridesmaids barely gave input, yet were included as "hosting" the shower. So I gave my mother and my sister gifts that cost me double what my other two bridesmaids received. Though their gifts were cheaper, they were still gorgeous candle holders.

I feel that the same applies when getting your bridal party their wedding gifts. Obviously if you're getting every girl the same thing, then it doesn't matter who did what prior to the wedding, you still should give the gift to each girl.

There are no price tags on anything, so if you decide to get each girl something specific to their interests, then it's relatively easy to spend a little more on those that helped the you throughout the process.

Why is everyone so cruel on these posts? Can't we all give and receive opinions without being harsh to each other? We're all brides on here and we're all going through stress leading up to our weddings....we should be uplifting each other, not tearing down the opinions of others.
  • http://weddings.weddingchannel.com/wedding-planning-ideas/bridal-party/articles/the-perfect-bridesmaid.aspx?MsdVisit=1

Glad I'm not the only one that feels when you ask someone to be a bridesmaid, it comes with an honor, as well as the acceptance of certain responsibilities. If you don't want to do anything but show up in a dress, then don't accept the offer to be in the bridal party, because guests show up in a dress the day of, too.
  • brandi902 said:

Since when did just showing up to a wedding, and not participating in any pre-wedding events entitle you to a $200 gift.

I gave host/hostess gifts to everyone that had anything to do with giving my fiance and I our Engagement Party as well as my Bridal Shower. My MOH and MOB did the majority of the work for my shower and my other two bridesmaids barely gave input, yet were included as "hosting" the shower. So I gave my mother and my sister gifts that cost me double what my other two bridesmaids received. Though their gifts were cheaper, they were still gorgeous candle holders.

I feel that the same applies when getting your bridal party their wedding gifts. Obviously if you're getting every girl the same thing, then it doesn't matter who did what prior to the wedding, you still should give the gift to each girl.

There are no price tags on anything, so if you decide to get each girl something specific to their interests, then it's relatively easy to spend a little more on those that helped the you throughout the process.

Why is everyone so cruel on these posts? Can't we all give and receive opinions without being harsh to each other? We're all brides on here and we're all going through stress leading up to our weddings....we should be uplifting each other, not tearing down the opinions of others.

JIC
    *********************************************************************************

• slothiegalslothiegal member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    brandi902 said:
    Since when did just showing up to a wedding, and not participating in any pre-wedding events entitle you to a $200 gift.

I mean...you see how insulting the situation @crabbylucy described was, right?  My MOH simply can NOT contribute a lot to the wedding, due several factors: the physical distance, the fact she was currently laid off, she has outstanding medical bills...I could go on.  Does she not get as good of a gift as everyone else in my wedding party, even though she's my rock, my solid ground, my best friend for 10+ years?

And as a side note, who was cruel?  (And PS, pointing out things that are just straightforwardly rude are not cruel in my book.)
    Anniversary

• brandi902 said:
    http://weddings.weddingchannel.com/wedding-planning-ideas/bridal-party/articles/the-perfect-bridesmaid.aspx?MsdVisit=1

Glad I'm not the only one that feels when you ask someone to be a bridesmaid, it comes with an honor, as well as the acceptance of certain responsibilities. If you don't want to do anything but show up in a dress, then don't accept the offer to be in the bridal party, because guests show up in a dress the day of, too.
    You're right, guests (or rather, some, usually female, guests) show up the day of the wedding in a dress.  Being in the bridal party simply means that those people are the closest to you and you want them standing next to you when you get married.  It does not mean that they owe you anything.  This is not a difficult concept. 

• jneen101 said:

brandi902 said:

My MOH and MOB did the majority of the work for my shower and my other two bridesmaids barely gave input, yet were included as "hosting" the shower. So I gave my mother and my sister gifts that cost me double what my other two bridesmaids received.

Ugh, now I am so stumped.  How am I supposed to know how much effort each bridesmaid put into the shower and bachelorette?  Perhaps I could have them fill out some kind of evaluation, like when you're doing a group project, so I can know how much work each girl did specifically.  Then I can plan my gifts accordingly.  Or perhaps a self evaluation would be better?!  Suggestions please! 

STUCK IN THE BOX

This isn't a group project in a science class so don't give out surveys or evaluations.

When buying your bridesmaid gifts, buy for them like you were shopping for their birthday.  Buy what they would like to have a gift and be done with it.  I personally feel that gift-giving shouldn't be based on their effort.

• jneen101 said:

brandi902 said:

My MOH and MOB did the majority of the work for my shower and my other two bridesmaids barely gave input, yet were included as "hosting" the shower. So I gave my mother and my sister gifts that cost me double what my other two bridesmaids received.

Ugh, now I am so stumped.  How am I supposed to know how much effort each bridesmaid put into the shower and bachelorette?  Perhaps I could have them fill out some kind of evaluation, like when you're doing a group project, so I can know how much work each girl did specifically.  Then I can plan my gifts accordingly.  Or perhaps a self evaluation would be better?!  Suggestions please! 

STUCK IN THE BOX

This isn't a group project in a science class so don't give out surveys or evaluations.

When buying your bridesmaid gifts, buy for them like you were shopping for their birthday.  Buy what they would like to have a gift and be done with it.  I personally feel that gift-giving shouldn't be based on their effort.
    I think jneen was joking, but love the groups project in science class analogy.
    WHEW.  At first glance I thought, "surely not." If you're kidding @jneen101 then my apologizes! I haven't had my wine this morning. :)
  • edited July 2014
    brandi902 said:
    http://weddings.weddingchannel.com/wedding-planning-ideas/bridal-party/articles/the-perfect-bridesmaid.aspx?MsdVisit=1

I've been in three weddings in my life and the two that I felt most honored to be in didn't have brides who made sure that we followed "the duties". They didn't take everything so seriously and didn't follow the bloated guidelines you see promoted in wedding magazines.  All they wanted was their girls to be by their side wearing the dress they picked and that was it.  No expectations, no cattiness over who was doing what or who was not doing their "job."  We did wedding showers, bachelorette parties and helped with wedding crafts all the same but not because it was asked, expected or demanded.

The other wedding I was a bridesmaid in had a bride who was very tit-for-tat, didn't care about budgets because her "vision" was more important than anyone's wallets and talked shit about everyone behind their backs. I could go on for days about this bride's behavior and how it ruined nearly every friendship in the wedding party.

Who do you think I've stayed friends with since their weddings?

"The duties" are ridiculous. 
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    jneen101 said:

brandi902 said:

You should install a  factory punch clock in your home. This way, your BMs can clock in and out during craft nights. You know, so you can know who your REAL friends are and buy them presents accordingly. Look how happy everyone was at my invitation addressing "party" last week (They know they're getting Tiffany's in return- they can't contain their excitement. Not like my lame BM who has some silly fake commitment like holding 2 jobs or a child or anything. She is getting squat!):image
  • brandi902 said:

The irony of this is killing me. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards