Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Wedding on the 23rd of December. Is it too close to Christmas?

(This is a re-post from Customs and Traditions, because I actually meant to post it here.)

My FI and I have found a ceremony site that we both love, and that comfortably sits more people than is on our guest list but the only date it is available is the 23rd of December. For our immediate families, that isn't a problem, since his family is Jewish, and he, my family and I are all atheists, and due to work schedules have been known to celebrate christmas anywhere from the 21st to the 28th of December. But, we do have a few (about 8) non-practising Christians, and 1 very active Catholic on our guest list and I know it's the time of year that everyone wants to spend with their families.

Only my bridesman and my twin sister/MOH will be travelling far for the wedding, and both would be coming home for the holidays anyway, but do you think we should just look for a different venue instead of possibly inconveniencing poeple anyway? 

Re: Wedding on the 23rd of December. Is it too close to Christmas?

• I'd play it safe and find a different venue.
  • Check with all your VIPs to make sure they can attend that day.  If they all say yes, as they are the most important, then as long as you and FI are ok with a high decline rate, then I wouldn't worry too much. 

From my stand point, I would probably decline to attend unless you were an immediate family member.
  • Check with all your VIPs to make sure they can attend that day.  If they all say yes, as they are the most important, then as long as you and FI are ok with a high decline rate, then I wouldn't worry too much. 

From my stand point, I would probably decline to attend unless you were an immediate family member.
    I agree with this. I would not go to a wedding that close to Christmas. 
  • Too close to Christmas for me. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I wouldn't do it. Even non-religious people observe Christmas. You'll probably have a hell of a time getting vendors as well since it is so close to Christmas.
  • If you are really set on that venue, I would be sure to check with VIPs as to whether or not they would be available that day; then take it from there. And I agree with PPs. Vendors will likely be harder to book / more expensive due to the holiday season.

As to religious values factoring in to the Christmas decline rate.... There are many non-religious or non-ppracticing people who still love to celebrate Christmas. Definitely be prepared for a higher decline rate.
  • Too close to Christmas for me too, and I'm agnostic. But I still celebrate the holiday and the second half of December is always a little crazy with parties and such.
  • It's too close to the holiday but even if I didn't celebrate it, that's a Tuesday and I don't know that you'll find many people able to take it off either.
  • I work retail. No way in hell would I be able to request off the 23rd for a wedding, especially if I had to travel. 

Anniversary
  • Thanks ladies, that was very helpful! The venue isn't really all that important to us, we'd rather have the people we love there, so we're going to find another venue. I also never really thought about it being in the middle of the week; I forget that not everybody has flexitime!

Just as another question; when do you think is not too early in December to have the wedding? Like would any time before the 20th be okay? 
  • Thanks ladies, that was very helpful! The venue isn't really all that important to us, we'd rather have the people we love there, so we're going to find another venue. I also never really thought about it being in the middle of the week; I forget that not everybody has flexitime!

Just as another question; when do you think is not too early in December to have the wedding? Like would any time before the 20th be okay? 
    I'm so glad you said this! So many people venue over loved ones and it makes me sad. I think lots of people have lots and lots of obligations during December, so I think you're safe with the 1st & 2nd weekends, but after that people get crazy busy. 

I would also send save the dates, just be sure that you can host everyone you send a STD for because once they get one, there's no going back.
  • I agree that the first and second weekends would be do-able, but anything after that would be tough. Really, the whole period of time between Thanksgiving and New Year's is crazy for a lot of people, but it would be okay with enough notice.
  • I would go to the wedding if it were held within two hours from where I live. I wouldn't go if it meant I would need to travel far. I also don't have children. It might be different if I had to prepare my house for children or family to come over to celebrate, eat, and open presents.
  • The first or second weeks of December would be easier, but that's a tough month.
  • I'd say that up to about December 15 you should be okay.  I wouldn't schedule a wedding for later than that.
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    First, check with your VIPs. 

Next, evaluate whether you & FI will be upset with a high number of declines. The reality is, many people will likely decline due to spending time with family. If you and FI are okay with that, I say schedule your wedding on the 23rd. 

PS - That is my birthday. I will not be mad if you send me a piece of cake. 
  • I would be too close to Xmas for me. We usually have family in town that we visit with. Also, are you talking about 12/23/14? That's a Tuesday and depending on the timing of your wedding, I wouldn't be able to make it because of work. It's hard to take time off right before the holidays. 
  • I would send a nice card, but would not attend a wedding on December 23rd unless it was an immediate family member or VERY close friend.
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm in the definite minority... If it meant traveling to my hometown. I haven't been "home" for Christmas in 3 years. If someone I knew was getting married 2 days before, it would give me the perfect excuse to get home, plus I'd actually have off. Saturday weddings are impossible for me to attend and it was a PITA to schedule ours for a Saturday!
  • That time of year you might have to take weather into account as well. I'm in Central NY and here we can get tons of snow on any given day especially in December. If I didn't have to go far though I'd probably go.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Checking with VIPs and time scheduling aside, people may be more financially strapped around this time of year and a wedding might add to the strain.  It's something else to consider.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I've actually attended a wedding on Dec. 23rd. It was 2 hours away, and a blizzard started during the ceremony. The reception was about 40 minutes away not counting the added time for snow, so we skipped it and went home since we were missing time with our families and were worried about getting snowed in.

The snow would probably be my biggest concern with any December wedding. Otherwise, you just have to work with your VIPs and be aware that you may have a higher decline rate among friends around the holidays. 

I'm assuming you're talking December 2015? Hannukkah is somewhat early again next year, December 6-14, so be sure to keep that in mind for FI's Jewish family.

• Guys we've booked a venue for the 11th December 2015! Checked my my bridesman and sister/MOH and MOH says she's just not going to go back home and will just stay with family until after Christmas (oh the joys of having loads of time off) and bridesman say's he doesn't mind flying over twice in one month. And according to the FMIL Hanukkah is one of the best times to get married in the Jewish calendar, so it being during Hanukkah isn't a problem either.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards